DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Photo Spheres?

After 10 days of beating myself senseless looking for a 3-foot cable, I'm prepared to throw in the towel. If Amazon.ca has such a thing, I'd loooooove to know about it. I've ordered two different cables so far (one and two) but neither allow for a connection between my rc and my Pixel 3XL phone.

I've ordered a third (to which I will add a microUSB-to-USB-C adapter) and am awaiting delievery, but my faith is shaken and I am completely psychologically prepared for another mildly expensive failure.

If there is a kind soul out there who can point me to a place where I can purchase a 3' cable that can successfully connect my Mavic Mini's remote controller to my Android phone, I would be immensely grateful.

Thanks for reading!

Does this have something to do with 360 photo spheres?

You might want to specify which connection ends you're looking for.

After 10 days of beating myself senseless looking for a 3-foot cable, I'm prepared to throw in the towel. If Amazon.ca has such a thing, I'd loooooove to know about it. I've ordered two different cables so far (one and two) but neither allow for a connection between my rc and my Pixel 3XL phone.

I've ordered a third (to which I will add a microUSB-to-USB-C adapter) and am awaiting delievery, but my faith is shaken and I am completely psychologically prepared for another mildly expensive failure.

If there is a kind soul out there who can point me to a place where I can purchase a 3' cable that can successfully connect my Mavic Mini's remote controller to my Android phone, I would be immensely grateful.

Thanks for reading!
The necessary C to C cable is specialized since C is usually for a slave device but the RC is a master.
A thought I had for the MM1 was to get a C extension cable and connect to the included short cable. This approach could possibly be used here.

Reactions: MiniMe2
The necessary C to C cable is specialized since C is usually for a slave device but the RC is a master.
A thought I had for the MM1 was to get a C extension cable and connect to the included short cable. This approach could possibly be used here.

If it's a USB C-to-USB C, wouldn't one of these work? Anker Powerline USB-C to USB-C 3.1 Gen 1 Cable (3ft) with Power Delivery for USB Type-C Devices Including Galaxy S8, S8+, S9, S10, iPad Pro 2018, Google Pixel, Huawei Matebook, MacBook and More: Amazon.ca: Cell Phones & Accessories.

Anker is my go-to cable brand. My experience with their products has always been excellent.

With the Mavic Mini's 360 sphere mode, how do you turn the resulting DNG images into a equirectangular photo sphere? It sounds like the DJI Go app does the stitching in-app, but the Mini's DJI Fly app doesn't?
Both on Android and on IOS there is an app that's called "Theta+" which is free and does what you are looking for I think.
Just select the little planet option, standard it's on mirror ball. While it's saving that little planet image it also saves the panorama pictures in 1 big wide picture(I assume to render the little planet picture).

Thanks very much. I will give this a go.

That seems right, since its connecting a PC with a C port to a device with a C port. The RC acts like a PC.

Both on Android and on IOS there is an app that's called "Theta+" which is free and does what you are looking for I think.
Just select the little planet option, standard it's on mirror ball. While it's saving that little planet image it also saves the panorama pictures in 1 big wide picture(I assume to render the little planet picture).

Thanks but it's not a "little planet" effect that I'm after. I posted an example of the photo sphere effect that I need earlier in this thread (it got a little lost because it's a link to the example).

And because I need to do this with several images every day, I'm looking for a PC-based solution.

That seems right, since its connecting a PC with a C port to a device with a C port. The RC acts like a PC.

I can confirm that the one-foot Anker USB C-to-Lighting cable I bought works just fine with my Mini 2 to use an iPad Mini rather than a phone. My guess would be that their C-to-C cable would work for those of you using phones/tablets with USB C as well.

No, there's nothing specialized about the USB-C connection, or cable in the MM2 system. USB-C has host/client negotiation as part of the standard.

Any (full) C to C cable will work. I know from direct experience on MM2. I say "full" because there are some cheaper cables that connect power only (i.e. "charging" cables), and not all the data signals, so of course these won't work. There are a zillion USB-C cables on Amazon, of just about any length you want. Tell me I don't need to provide a link. Please. :oops: ?

Last edited:
Okay, I'll be a nice guy. Bought 2 sets of these about a month ago on amazon, still there:
71%2BsgnMqVRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

JSAUX USB C to C Cable 60W, 3-Pack [10ft+6.6ft+3.3ft ] Type C Fast Charging Cord Charger Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra Plus S20+ Note 20 10 A80, Google Pixel 4 3 2 XL iPad Pro 2018 -Blue

Works with the ten footer -- just tried.

Because of newer charging protocols, USB-C cables are a little more complicated to buy. If you have a fast-charging device, you need to make sure the cable can handle the power, hence my specifically getting cables that could handle 60W -- so my 45W superfast charging phone can do so without heating (and losses) in the cable. I also want to use the cables for full-blown communications too.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 360_2020_Nov_Mini2_ (2).jpg
    360_2020_Nov_Mini2_ (2).jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 49

Attachments

• 360_2020_Nov_Mini2_ (2).jpg
    360_2020_Nov_Mini2_ (2).jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 35
I've been trying to use photoshop to generate a higher quality spherical pano since the ones put out by the DJI Fly app are low resolution.

I can't figure out how to get the mapping to work correctly though.

First image is what the DJI Fly app put out

cunxr3O.jpg

Second image is what photoshop put out
6vflQrP.jpg

i successfully created 360 sphere and get them , but the DjiFly app doesnt add the necessary metada to display the resulting JPG as sphere : i use this small program to edit exif : Editing, Creating and Viewing EXIF data with free Exif editor this is one of my Mini2 sphere : The world's biggest drone photo and video sharing platform | SkyPixel.com
It's not so much that they don't add the exif, but rather certain hosting or social media platforms wouldn't recognize it as a 360 image even if it had the meta data, because in the end, a Mini 2 is not a 360 camera.

i successfully created 360 sphere and get them with my Mini2 , but the DjiFly app doesnt add the necessary metada to display the resulting stiched JPG as sphere : i use this small program to edit exif : Editing, Creating and Viewing EXIF data with free Exif editor this is one of my Mini2 sphere : The world's biggest drone photo and video sharing platform | SkyPixel.com
What I would do in this case is open photoshop, then select all RAW file sin the file explorer and drag them to the photoshop window. This will open all of them in Camera Raw. You can then select one of the RAWs, preferably one that contains both highlights and shadows, and apply all the corrections you want to that RAW file. Then on the LH side where all the RAWs are displayed (don't know exactly where, as I don't have the program open at the moment), you can select "synchronize" or something with the same meaning, and it will apply those corrections to all the open RAW files. When done, click "open image", and it will bring you to photoshop, with all the processed RAW files open. Then go to your normal workflow to stitch the images together, click "all open files", and let photoshop do the magic. It will give you a panorama with the processed RAW images. Hope this helps!

Does anyone have a good option for stitching yet?

The Mini 2 can do it perfectly but only gives you low res files. ICE can give high res files but is completely hopeless at stitiching and requires a PC.

With the Mavic Mini's 360 sphere mode, how do you turn the resulting DNG images into a equirectangular photo sphere? It sounds like the DJI Go app does the stitching in-app, but the Mini's DJI Fly app doesn't?
I purchase app call meta360 that can convert plate phot into 360 photo and post in Facebook.

You can shoot raw with the mini 2 in sphere mode, just remember that the camera settings are different from the normal photo mode, so select sphere (while in flight), open the settings and select J+R.

I've made a video to explain how I take my sphere shots and process them:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake