DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 quick transfer meltdown

rcb

Reactions
With quick transfer turned on, the mini2 gets extremely hot, even when not actually downloading anything. I truly believe it will meltdown if left on for any extended time, like while reviewing images to decide what to download or during editing. It started to have operation problems. I got scared and put a fan blowing hard on it before it really burned up, so I could proceed. I have the cache function turned off because the iOS cpu gets overloaded and shuts down with it on while flying. Quick transfer seems a bust! What is going on and what to do?? Thanks for any information.

With quick transfer turned on, the mini2 gets extremely hot, even when not actually downloading anything. I truly believe it will meltdown if left on for any extended time, like while reviewing images to decide what to download or during editing. It started to have operation problems. I got scared and put a fan blowing hard on it before it really burned up, so I could proceed. I have the cache function turned off because the iOS cpu gets overloaded and shuts down with it on while flying. Quick transfer seems a bust! What is going on and what to do?? Thanks for any information.
I feel the same about it when I leave it on but do not fly, for instance playing with the settings. I think without the air circulation caused by the M2's props and/or moving thru the air, the SoC may get hot enough to have to throttle the CPU to prevent overheating, but this is just speculation. It does get very warm. I loath heat with electronics. So as you have done, I will use a fan for periods of extended "on time", if not flying.
I have never had operational problems, but I have never had it on more than 10-15 minutes without flying.

I feel the same about it when I leave it on but do not fly, for instance playing with the settings. I think without the air circulation caused by the M2's props and/or moving thru the air, the SoC may get hot enough to have to throttle the CPU to prevent overheating, but this is just speculation. It does get very warm. I loath heat with electronics. So as you have done, I will use a fan for periods of extended "on time", if not flying.
I have never had operational problems, but I have never had it on more than 10-15 minutes without flying.
Thanks for your sympathy, and commiseration. This seems a serious operations logic (programming) problem. Not wholly unlike the inability to have “cache” ability turned on while flying, because it causes overloading of the iOS cpu even when no images are actually being recorded or cached at all. Processors and batteries should not have to work so hard for operations they are not actually performing.

Thanks but can’t use it while it is shut down. And it does get quite hot quickly (not just warm) which fast ages the electronics as well as plastic. I’m also in doubt as to whether the drone will even actually shut down in time to prevent damage since operation was beginning to deteriorate before I shut it down and put the fan on and restarted.

Thanks but can’t use it while it is shut down. And it does get quite hot quickly (not just warm) which fast ages the electronics as well as plastic. I’m also in doubt as to whether the drone will even actually shut down in time to prevent damage since operation was beginning to deteriorate before I shut it down and put the fan on and restarted.
I should also add that accepted industry standard (rule of thumb) consideration is that for every 10 degrees C increase, life is halved. This is in consideration for common activation energies of materials found in many electronics.

The having a fan blowing on the drone is an 'old' solution but a good one, I use it with any of my drones if they are going to be sitting powered up but not flying, for more than a couple of minutes.

However the point of my post is to ask, if you are concerned about the heat generated during this process why use it at all?
Why not simply remove the card and put it in a reader attached to whatever?

The having a fan blowing on the drone is an 'old' solution but a good one, I use it with any of my drones if they are going to be sitting powered up but not flying, for more than a couple of minutes.

However the point of my post is to ask, if you are concerned about the heat generated during this process why use it at all?
Why not simply remove the card and put it in a reader attached to whatever?

Two main reasons really. For one, I like to have the backup ain case I actually lose the Drone. For another reason, I like to edit the video and this is a convenient place and way to do it. I don't have a computer with me, here in Mexico for the winter, so my backup and editing is done with my phone.

That's fair enough.
Just as a matter of interest how much memory space does your phone have?

That's fair enough.
65g
That's fair enough.
64gb phone with 36gb available yet which is another good reason to edit/limit the downloads using quick transfer to protect just the best images. I am not trying to save everything. I mostly fly fpv with MOGO CINEMA goggles just to be "in the moment". I have a lot of scary experiences losing communication and control due to the many surprise factors that can crop up while flying and so fully expect to eventually lose the drone and onboard images.

Two main reasons really. For one, I like to have the backup ain case I actually lose the Drone. For another reason, I like to edit the video and this is a convenient place and way to do it. I don't have a computer with me, here in Mexico for the winter, so my backup and editing is done with my phone.
I just wanted to chime in here because I too,have a problem with electronics getting hot,meaning I do not like it either and while I finally tried quick transfer for about 5 minutes tops and my quad was getting warmer and warmer and the connection was going to take a long time because I personally think my phone's wifi card blows- I decided to just take the card out,put it in my laptop and transfer it over to my phone. I'm just curious if I misunderstood something because how would losing your drone be an acceptable answer? I understand doing everything on your phone,sure and It would be nice if the drone didn't heat up at all like umm, everything else that transfers files so this is also a good question for DJI but if you lose your drone,you lose your backup anyway,no? For that matter you lose your drone and that's more of a weighted down bummer than a unpleasantly toasted drone. Just wondering how that answer passed the litmus test around here.

The feature is called "QUICK Transfer". It works well. Simply transfer multiple photos promptly and then shut down the drone. I don't know of a drone that doesn't get hot without it's props running or an extra costly fan. You can sort photos after you "quickly" download a group of them, right?

FWIW I have used quick transfer a few times to download video files and the drone didn’t get hot. I didn’t leave it on for ever but long enough to download 10 or 12 minutes worth of video.

The feature is called "QUICK Transfer". It works well. Simply transfer multiple photos promptly and then shut down the drone. I don't know of a drone that doesn't get hot without it's props running or an extra costly fan. You can sort photos after you "quickly" download a group of them, right?
Yeah,and don't get me wrong,I like the feature and will definitely use it for pictures and maybe an occasional video but if I'm transferring a lot,I'll just do it through my laptop., Was more curious about the OPs answer to why he doesn't do it the same way I do since he isn't a fan of electronics getting hot either -

EDIT: I meant curious about his answer of losing his drone

I also use a fan to help keep it cool in between flights and I agree using a fan while doing downloading,etc
They sure do get hot on a hot summer day or after flying for a while.

Reactions: Biggie777
I should also add that accepted industry standard (rule of thumb) consideration is that for every 10 degrees C increase, life is halved. This is in consideration for common activation energies of materials found in many electronics.
Although this is technically accurate it is useful to clarify that semiconductors (chips) are life tested at their maximum operating temperature and almost all systems have temperature shutdown mechanisms if the max is exceeded so the life of the electronics and therefore the drone should not be affected.

Reactions: Biggie777
I just remove the microSD then puit it on my tablet or phone to transfer it while the drone itselft off.
cause while using the quick transfer, it says overheating, an it burn my finger if i touch the drone, i worry it will broke fast if i elave it like that often.

Best thing every. Quick transfer as long as you need,just stick your mini on top of this perfect size fan and it doesn't ever get warm.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220420-130203~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20220420-130203~2.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 2
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CtrlAltDlt