DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 RGB LED kit with programmable controller

ToTheMoon

Reactions
I was thinking of putting together and produce some LED kit's for the Mini 2

Concept is:
Clip on plastic housing that contains a USB connectable Nano RGB LED controller that runs off 5v from the USB-C connector on the Mini 2
Controller is programmable by connecting it with computer and running a simple app to program it. Every possible configurations available, wave, breath, blink, etc etc
Since I have the controller SDK I (or someone better skilled in android SDK) could also make an android app to configure the controller to change the LED programming on the go.
Total weight should be about 20-25 grams, maybe less depending on RGB strips, thickness of plastic housing and wire gauge. Could make it lighter by taping the housing on instead of clip-on, maybe make 2 versions. Just have to get a new 3d printer to make the housings or just get them made for me

As is without the android app I could sell the kit for about 86 - 90 USD + shipping

Just checking interest, so would you be interested in such a thingamajingy?

Attachments

• Draft - LED KIT.png
    Draft - LED KIT.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 22
Check this similar item out that's on the market already.

Here's a demonstration from YouTuber Ken Heron.

Well, those are LED's yes...

But those are single colour, static and need external battery
The kit I am putting together is programmable, RGB and uses power from the drone itself.
Could both be used with single point led's and also tubes like the ones in the video,
Can even program specific patterns in specific colours, so a bit more advanced than in the link provided.

The problem being won't the weight put the drone over 250g, with 250g being a legal threshold for many people?

Well, those are LED's yes...

But those are single colour, static and need external battery
The kit I am putting together is programmable, RGB and uses power from the drone itself.
Could both be used with single point led's and also tubes like the ones in the video,
Can even program specific patterns in specific colours, so a bit more advanced than in the link provided.

That's why I posted "similar" lights.

I've wondered why DJI doesn't incorporate FAA compliant LED strobes in their aircraft.

Along the same idea as yours, DJI could make a clear plastic body and install multicolored strips in the aircraft along the arms and body.

Post in thread 'Night Flying with the FAA : A Poll' Night Flying with the FAA : A Poll

Reactions: ToTheMoon
The answer might lie in the fact that the FAA regulations do not apply world wide and in that the weight involved in building in lighting might fall foul of other countries regulations and possibly even FAA regulations.

The answer might lie in the fact that the FAA regulations do not apply world wide and in that the weight involved in building in lighting might fall foul of other countries regulations and possibly even FAA regulations.

This could be controlled by the DJI app of choice in the future.

They already limit the aircraft functions around the world depending on GPS location.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54