DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Sun hood around the gimbal

The only one I saw on Amazon was " net weight 4 grams", well suited for the Mini 2 to keep under 249. PGYTECH Huaye Mavic Mini Lens Hood Protective Cover

Also worth noting the

Firehouse Technology ARC Red Strobe FAA 107 compliant at a mere 4 grams still has you below 249g limit on a Mini 2, if you want dusk & dawn shots and the sun shade. Here

What more could you possibly want?​

Well, when I bought one, what I wanted was something that would act as a lens hood. In particular, I was hoping it would reduce the purple tint when the sun is about 20 to 30 degrees out of frame. Just looking at it, it should be immediately obvious why these can't possibly work as a useful lens hood...
IMG_7249s.JPG
... but if you doubt it, test it yourself, with and without. When I did that, I couldn't see any difference.

Reactions: Jsaint
Well, when I bought one, what I wanted was something that would act as a lens hood. In particular, I was hoping it would reduce the purple tint when the sun is about 20 to 30 degrees out of frame. Just looking at it, it should be immediately obvious why these can't possibly work as a useful lens hood...
View attachment 128960
... but if you doubt it, test it yourself, with and without. When I did that, I couldn't see any difference.
Good point.
but you will get some high wind gimbal shelter and perhaps in the odd situation a small bit of masking tape may cover that sun issue. But let's hope someone posts a nice light optimised hood .STL file for 3D printing. I will continue to look for a working hood but my need was wind shelter after a few shots lost over a sudden wind gimbal tilt.

Personally I can't see how any sun hood can work on a drone given the way it flies.

Any forward movement is going to cause the nose of the drone to tip down (and the gimbal to tip up to compensate), and the faster you fly the more that is so.

Any sun hood designed to compensate for this upward movement of the gimbal is going to be next to useless in level conditions.

Some sun flare is just something you have to accept when shooting into the sun.

After reading several post about damage Gimbals from flying into anything or crashing, this is the only reason I got one for my drone.

hello all who uses the sun hood for Mini2
I just bought it. But I have a question.
When the Mini2 is turned ON, the gimbal is moving a lot. So do you the hood before or after Switching ON ?
Thanks in advance

hello all who uses the sun hood for Mini2
I just bought it. But I have a question.
When the Mini2 is turned ON, the gimbal is moving a lot. So do you the hood before or after Switching ON ?
Thanks in advance
I put the hood on my Mavic 2 while I'm preparing the aircraft for flight. Gimbal cover off, hood on. So well before power is turned on. Doesn't interfere with the gimbal.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan