DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Sun hood around the gimbal

laurent45

Reactions
Hi
I saw on Ebay that they sell a sun hood which can be positioned in order to protect the gimbal/camera from sun glare and can offer some protection to the gimbal.

Are some of you using this item ? Is it useful ? Does-it make the Mini 2 go over 250 g ?

Thanks

Reactions: DaveLewin
have a gimbal hood for my MPP and MM and i like to think that they, apart from limiting sun glare ,do offer some protection to the gimbal and its cables if the drone was to fly into a tree weight is not a problem for me as i have my drones registered with the CAA

I have a hood for my Mavic 2 and it makes real difference when the sun is low in the sky. Also protects the gimbal when landing in grass.

I don't have one for the Mini 1 because any I've looked at are more than 1g, which would put the Mini 1 over the 250g limit (I use it to fly in locations that I can't fly the bigger drone). If I could find one that didn't put me over the limit I'd get it.

TLDR: If I had a Mini 2 I'd get a hood if it was light enough to stay under 250g.

You guys dont fly enough. There is often a situation /sun position/angle when a hood improve videos a lot! More contrast, no flare, etc.
My only concern is that the hood is maybe visible when the gimbal looks up 30 degree (for panos, etc)

• Haha
Reactions: Chris Rees
For a lens hood to work properly, it needs to be fitted to the lens, and move with the lens. If this requirement is met, then it doesn’t provide much physical protection for the gimbal and cables.

Hi
I saw on Ebay that they sell a sun hood which can be positioned in order to protect the gimbal/camera from sun glare and can offer some protection to the gimbal.

Are some of you using this item ? Is it useful ? Does-it make the Mini 2 go over 250 g ?

Thanks
I always use a lens hood and my Mavic Mini 2 is still under weight

Reactions: Grazuncle
Hi

Thanks
I use sun hoods on both my M2Z and my Mini 2. As well as protecting the gimbal particularly on the Mini 2 it cuts down flare especially early in the mornings and late in the evenings when the sun is low in the sky.

I purchased a lens hood online. I have found that with the hood in place on initial pre flight when the gimbal is doing it's thing to align itself it contacts the side of the lens hood. I have the Mavic air 2. maybe the hood should be fitted after the gimbal is in it correct position and in flight with the gimbal only moving by degrees left or right. The product was advertised as being specific to the Air 2. Can anyone confirm my findings??

You guys dont fly enough. There is often a situation /sun position/angle when a hood improve videos a lot! More contrast, no flare, etc.
My only concern is that the hood is maybe visible when the gimbal looks up 30 degree (for panos, etc)
That's what I expected when I bought one, but as soon as I put it on, it was clear that it does not extend far enough forward to really act as a lens hood: It only blocks light at a very shallow angle. Testing with and without it, just swinging the camera around at different angles to the sun, I couldn't see any difference at all. While I think it does offer some crash protection, it did nothing in my tests to prevent flares or to improve contrast. If you've had a different experience, I'd like to see a side-by-side comparison.

Hi

Thanks
Get it. Protects the gimbal during flight, also when not flying. I havent had to use the gimbal cover since.
In heavy winds it acts like a sail, so you'll want to remove during those conditions.

I had 1 on my mini 1 and mini 2 and worked great. Until I was flying in windy conditions and the guard would show up in the camera view. I did not notice that it was affecting the controlling of the drones. Just could see it on the wind side.

In windy conditions, the M2P lens hood can catch the wind and create some flight instability that shows up on the video. However, it does prevent the jitter when the sun is on the lens without an ND filter, reducing the angle that you need to turn away to avoid it.

I do not know what the hood weighs, however, you have about 10-12 grams to play with before exceeding the 250.
The only one I saw on Amazon was " net weight 4 grams", well suited for the Mini 2 to keep under 249. PGYTECH Huaye Mavic Mini Lens Hood Protective Cover

Also worth noting the

Firehouse Technology ARC Red Strobe FAA 107 compliant at a mere 4 grams still has you below 249g limit on a Mini 2, if you want dusk & dawn shots and the sun shade. Here

What more could you possibly want?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi