DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 - 10Bit recording

like this?
preview

(stolen from DJI forum user Skyscope)

I first thought of a mistake by DJI, using the Main10-Level of the HEVC Codec instead of "Main", by putting 8-Bit data in the 10-Bit Container.

But after taking a closer look at this, see my workflow in the post above, it's proven to me that the data is indeed 10 bit.

I don't know if that's just a mistake made by a technician and just nobody else at DJI noticed it. Wouldn't DJI promote such an important feature?

But for now it is the way it is.
And I can't imagine that they'll take that back in one of the next updates, especally if everybody took notice of that feature.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sockeye
Philip Bloom has received a confirmation from DJI on 10bit being real. (This is from the DJI Mini 3 FB group)

And think the color grading screenshot above pretty much confirms it too, the lack of banding with the extreme modification is a clear indication that there IS more real data in the file.

Expecting DJI to start promoting this officially soon, this is pretty major thing!
A5C44AEE-BC89-441E-B102-5D0CC30051AF.jpeg

Wow, that is astonishing news.
Still can't make my head around, how DJI designs their software. Something like this must clearly be more effort than making controls or menus in DJI Fly more adjustable.

That said, 10 bit is really nice in this drone (eventhough I am only doing photos). :cool:

Reactions: leebroath
If someone would try to convince me of this, I would not believe it coz of multiple reasons:
DJI stated everywhere its 8 bit, they would not want to canibalize their Air 2S and so on.. I am super surprised (and excited) that this little beast will record 10 bit.

I'm wondering whether it was a marketing decision to not enable 10-bit, but at the last minute - upon getting feedback from the initial reviewers - changed their minds.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Philip Bloom has received a confirmation from DJI on 10bit being real. (This is from the DJI Mini 3 FB group)

And think the color grading screenshot above pretty much confirms it too, the lack of banding with the extreme modification is a clear indication that there IS more real data in the file.

Expecting DJI to start promoting this officially soon, this is pretty major thing!
View attachment 148566

that's just really weird. is DJI's camera team implying there is a firmware update to enable 10 bit coming? if the camera has always been 10 bit how could they not know it "until Monday" and have this in the promotional material? this all is strange.

that's just really weird. is DJI's camera team implying there is a firmware update to enable 10 bit coming? if the camera has always been 10 bit how could they not know it "until Monday" and have this in the promotional material? this all is strange.
It's not "coming", it's already out and available, i.e. the latest one. That's what caused all the discussion in the first place, when people started noticing the metadata of the clips showed them being 10bit suddenly.

Reactions: Torque
If someone would try to convince me of this, I would not believe it coz of multiple reasons:
DJI stated everywhere its 8 bit, they would not want to canibalize their Air 2S and so on.. I am super surprised (and excited) that this little beast will record 10 bit.
Apparently you don't believe your own lyin' eyes... Seen post #21?

Who are you believing, Groucho Marx? 😁

It's not debatable given the comparison in that post.

It's not "coming", it's already out and available, i.e. the latest one. That's what caused all the discussion in the first place, when people started noticing the metadata of the clips showed them being 10bit suddenly.
I'm aware of that but some reviewers were told by DJI that was because the video contained in "HQ" mode contained what DJI is calling their HDR functionality, the baked in dual ISO exposure of each pixel in the sensor and then blended together, supposedly containing better dynamic range that way. If truly there is 10 bit color data there and not just metadata looking like 10 bit but really a by product of the HDR system that's astounding news. Great for all of us but beyond a mystery how that wouldn't be a major marketing point of the drone. Every 10 bit drone DJI sells has that heavily hyped right on the main website.

Apparently you don't believe your own lyin' eyes... Seen post #21?

Who are you believing, Groucho Marx? 😁

It's not debatable given the comparison in that post.
I should have specified "if someone tried to convinve me before I saw all this,...". Theres no doubt the data is indeed 10 bit, the (absence of) banding screenshot makes it clear. Its truly totally unexpected and wonderful. Makes me wonder if someone coding the firmware did it by accident or not, seems really strange they would not hype it up in all promos if they intended 10bit back then

I should have specified "if someone tried to convinve me before I saw all this,...". Theres no doubt the data is indeed 10 bit, the (absence of) banding screenshot makes it clear. Its truly totally unexpected and wonderful. Makes me wonder if someone coding the firmware did it by accident or not, seems really strange they would not hype it up in all promos if they intended 10bit back then
My guess is they need it to do the hdr things and marketing just missed it. But ya strange

Wow, that is astonishing news.
Still can't make my head around, how DJI designs their software. Something like this must clearly be more effort than making controls or menus in DJI Fly more adjustable.

That said, 10 bit is really nice in this drone (eventhough I am only doing photos). :cool:
I would guess that, like the original Minis, DJI buys its camera systems from Ambarella, and they use Sony sensors. The system used in the Mini 1 was capable of a lot more than DJI enabled, e.g. 4K video and ActiveTrack. If the system used in the Mini 3 is capable of 10-bit recording, DJI would certainly have known that, but perhaps they didn't intend to enable it.

Its not a case of the sensor being capable - its the entire image processing pathway and bandwidth available behind the sensor that limits what is possible.
Secondary issues after that such as power consumption, heat dissipation etc.

Its rare the sensor is the limiting part.

Reactions: Skyscope
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis