DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 & 4 battery compatibility.

OldGuy

Reactions
I have a Mini 3 and have recently purchased the Mini 4 Pro. I got a good deal on the Mini 4 Pro plus I already had my Mini 3 batteries which were compatible with the new mini 4 Pro. So I only had to buy the 4 Pro with one battery which was a good saving. However today I decided to fly the Mini 3 with the Mini 4 Pro battery and got the following message on the tablet screen “Incompatible battery version. Change battery”. The Mini 3 batteries do work with the Mini 4 Pro but the 4 battery does not work with the Mini 3. Has Anyone else had this experience?

Reactions: old man mavic
Might be a firmware issue. Make sure the firmware matches.

The Mini 3 Pro has lots of bells and whistles compared to the basic Mini 3 but I wouldn't have thought that the batteries would be different. It doesn't make sense!

It does when you understand that they aren't simple batteries, but have an embedded processor that's running the BMS, and as others have noted there is firmware involved.

It does when you understand that they aren't simple batteries, but have an embedded processor that's running the BMS, and as others have noted there is firmware involved.
If it's a firmware issue then I should be able to somehow make it compatible with the Mini 3?

If it's a firmware issue then I should be able to somehow make it compatible with the Mini 3?

See posts 5, 7.

The battery BMS participates in the remaining time calculation, and this is tuned for each drone model. As such, you need battery firmware specific to the model for correct operation of the drone.

It's quite a plus to even be able to use Mini 3 Pro batteries in the 4 Pro. This is rare with DJI products. I'm very grateful to DJI for spending the engineering cost to make this work, it allowed me to truly upgrade to the 4 Pro from the 3 Pro FMC, and spend much less.

I suspect I'm not alone here 😁

See posts 5, 7.

The battery BMS participates in the remaining time calculation, and this is tuned for each drone model. As such, you need battery firmware specific to the model for correct operation of the drone.

It's quite a plus to even be able to use Mini 3 Pro batteries in the 4 Pro. This is rare with DJI products. I'm very grateful to DJI for spending the engineering cost to make this work, it allowed me to truly upgrade to the 4 Pro from the 3 Pro FMC, and spend much less.

I suspect I'm not alone here 😁
I'm also grateful that I can use my Mini 3 batteries in my new Mini 4 Pro with the appropriate saving. I was just surprised that the reverse was not possible. As I only have 1 Mini 4 battery and 2 Mini 3 batteries it's no big deal. Cheers.

The batteries for the 4 Pro are slightly lighter than the ones for the 3 Pro. The 4 Pro will exceed 249gr with the 3 (Pro) batteries, thats the reason for the error. It’s about a non-conformity for this 249gr class. Aftermarket plus batteries will not work in the 4 Pro - blocked in firmware updates.

The batteries for the 4 Pro are slightly lighter than the ones for the 3 Pro. The 4 Pro will exceed 249gr with the 3 (Pro) batteries, thats the reason for the error. It’s about a non-conformity for this 249gr class. Aftermarket plus batteries will not work in the 4 Pro - blocked in firmware updates.
My problem is that the Mini 4 battery will not work in my Mini 3.
My Mini 3 batteries including a plus battery do work in my Mini 4.

My problem is that the Mini 4 battery will not work in my Mini 3.
My Mini 3 batteries including a plus battery do work in my Mini 4.

Got it. DJI, for reasons of their own that might be technical, doesn't want to support then in the Mini 3.

Since they seem to have no problem spending development resources to provide forward compatability for the Mini3P batteries, my money's on some significant technical obstacle that they're not going to spend a bunch of engineering resources on fixing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pilot74sparki