DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Extended Battery

Eagle Eye 62

Reactions
So I completed my first "Mission" with my Mini 3 and the extended battery. I am happy to report I am seeing flight times very close to the Mavic 3 which is incredible. I was very impressed that I could fly an entire mission shooting 4K, 60FPS video and taking around a dozen 5 exposure, RAW photos while moving around a lot on one battery. This battery is definitely a game changer.

That's great to hear. Are there any good places in the US to order from or should I just stick with DJI?

Reactions: KLRSKIR
So I completed my first "Mission" with my Mini 3 and the extended battery. I am happy to report I am seeing flight times very close to the Mavic 3 which is incredible. I was very impressed that I could fly an entire mission shooting 4K, 60FPS video and taking around a dozen 5 exposure, RAW photos while moving around a lot on one battery. This battery is definitely a game changer.
I am still waiting for my fly more bundle, but only ordered the standard batteries. If I wanted to order one of the extended batteries, do they require a different charger or can they be handled on the standard battery charger (or in the drone itself)?

I am still waiting for my fly more bundle, but only ordered the standard batteries. If I wanted to order one of the extended batteries, do they require a different charger or can they be handled on the standard battery charger (or in the drone itself)?
same charger.

Why would anybody buy the lower capacity battery kit? Is it just too stay under 249 grams and obey the law?

Why would anybody buy the lower capacity battery kit? Is it just too stay under 249 grams and obey the law?
I would assume most have at least one other bird that needs registered with the FAA

Same cost same number so it makes no difference
So go for the larger battery
The more that better!

I would assume most have at least one other bird that needs registered with the FAA

Same cost same number so it makes no difference
So go for the larger battery
The more that better!
I am mostly worried about other countries, especially Europe. I travelled a lot with my Mini 2 and I never had any problems with it, but I am wondering whether Mini 3 with the bigger battery would cause some issues. I am just trying to figure out which configuration would be less problematic when travelling.

Because a., the world is not made of US alone and as you noted may have other regulations (with Japan even lower mass), and subsequently b., abide by these regulations for a safer and more pleasing way to enjoy the hobby.

Though I certainly admit some rules are quite strange or very hard to understand or follow every time down to the last dot and comma. But as with most things in life, common sense and respect are your best buddies. ;)

I am mostly worried about other countries, especially Europe. I travelled a lot with my Mini 2 and I never had any problems with it, but I am wondering whether Mini 3 with the bigger battery would cause some issues. I am just trying to figure out which configuration would be less problematic when travelling.
It's not only that you have to care about the mass and the category, but in EASA airspace with sub 250 g and making recordings, you are always expected from C0 down to legacy drones to at least register, do the online basic test and most and foremost have proper insurance for your drone - yes, even recreationally.

The good thing is, having this principle certificate, which you can all organise from home, you are 99 % good to fly in as many countries as the EASA has. In earlier times, there was always quite the struggle if or if not tourists are to allowed to fly for their short period of stay. Some countries had rules with benefits, some didn't, some excluded them like the CAA in UK nowadays, who can't be bothered to accept EASA certification after Brexit (yet the all the regulations are surprise, surprise nearly identical, as they have been prepared prior leaving the EU).

To sum it up, sub 250 g is the easiest way in most countries, ie to have the lowest regulation and the highest freedom of flying with some specifics you should care to read before heading to another area. ;)

Happy flying!

Last edited:
Technically it might but you can buy the bigger battery online here too just not from DJI.
It will work Ok I suppose in theory they could stop I it taking off depending where you were - except it is no more illegal than any other drone over 250g

If you live an fly in North America, the only difference is if you go above 250G you have to pay the five bucks and register with the FAA, that's it. Not a big deal. As stated above, outside North America it is more of an issue with the 250G limit.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
If you live an fly in North America, the only difference is if you go above 250G you have to pay the five bucks and register with the FAA, that's it. Not a big deal.
Registering rather than paying 5 USD seems to be the bigger problem if I follow some YT videos strangely. 😂

I have been out of it for awhile but I decided to register the mini due to the larger batteries (which I hope last longer). All my previous old drone registratiions were gone.

They now sell stickers for your drone and badges and other "official accessories".

The website wasn't too bad.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbee