DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 or Mini 3 Pro?

kevguy

Reactions
Hi. I’m looking into getting into flying a drone as a hobby. I have never done it before and I have zero experience in the area.

I’ve been pouring over the web and YouTube trying to get myself educated on what’s out there and where to begin.

I’m in Canada and have decided to stick with a less than 250g drone to begin with. With that I have narrowed it down to the mini 3 or the mini 3 pro both with the fly more kit.

I like the idea of the obstacle avoidance on the pro as I will be nervous of crashing the thing. I’ve learned that the pro is not the “be all and end all” of crash avoidance though. In that case, maybe I could just stick with a mini 3?

This has probably been hashed here before and I apologize, but it seems to be a constant dilemma for new pilots.

Reactions: RayKelly
If you haven't done so already, you can compare the main differences between those drones here.

The front obstacle avoidance would be nice to have, but I don't think I'd get the Pro if that's the only feature I wanted. Obstacle avoidance is great until it doesn't work. It's safer to manually pilot the drone around obstacles (or don't fly near them) whenever possible.

As for the other features, I'd definitely go for the Mini 3 Pro to get OcuSync 3, higher quality live view, and better photos/videos. But, if none of those things matter, then maybe save a few bucks and get the Mini 3 instead.

Welcome the forum Kev.
Good on you for doing some research, and you nailed it with the main difference being OA or no OA . . .

These little drones pretty much fly themselves, very stable etc with hovering and flight behaviour.
Get good GPS (home point) recorded and you will generally be fine.

As a new pilot, you will probably be flying away from objects, higher above them, so OA is not as needed as a pilot that wants to 'fly through things' or do low to the ground / tight stuff in forests etc.

I've been flying since 2017 and my simple front OA has saved me once, so the other side of the equation is it's good to have at times.

The main thing to be aware of with a mini 3 with no OA is to fly close, staying within VLOS, and / or have RTH set to cover any obstacle heights (+ safety margin) where you are flying.
No doubt you are aware OA doesn't pick up wires, or fine leafless branches / twigs, etc, so it's not infallible, just a handy tool in certain conditions.

I feel Ocusync benefits in the newer platform aren't really that much benefit, unless flying greater BVLOS distances, or in dense vegetation for better penetration . . . as mentioned, most pilots (especially new ones) fly higher, doing their aerial video / photography, so signal with O2 on the mini 3 is more than ample.

All the best with whatever you decide to go with.

Reactions: old man mavic
I think jpg will do me just fine. As the being a probable new drone pilot with zero experience, I also am not by any means a professional photographer.

so, with all this being said, what is the video format?
Please see the comparison I linked in my first post above.

Hi. I’m looking into getting into flying a drone as a hobby. I have never done it before and I have zero experience in the area.

I’ve been pouring over the web and YouTube trying to get myself educated on what’s out there and where to begin.

I’m in Canada and have decided to stick with a less than 250g drone to begin with. With that I have narrowed it down to the mini 3 or the mini 3 pro both with the fly more kit.

I like the idea of the obstacle avoidance on the pro as I will be nervous of crashing the thing. I’ve learned that the pro is not the “be all and end all” of crash avoidance though. In that case, maybe I could just stick with a mini 3?

This has probably been hashed here before and I apologize, but it seems to be a constant dilemma for new pilots.
Obstacle avoidance runs the risk of giving you a false sense of security.

Like RTH, you need to understand exactly when and under what conditions it works and how, for it to be useful. For example, my Air 2S has no side collision avoidance at all, and no collision avoidance whatsoever when Sport mode is on.

The ADS-B receiver warns of potential aircraft conflicts, but most helicopters and many private aircraft- the exact things you are most likely to be flying near - do not usually have ADS-B beacons as Transport Canada doesn't require them yet,afaik.

So, pick a drone that has the features you think you'll need. Camera settings, battery, weight, etc. Don't worry about things like collision avoidance, a nice to have feature but not something you want to need to rely on and may not work the way you think it will anyway.

For both, it states that the photo format is jpg or raw. I’ve never heard of raw. Can someone explain? What is the video format?
If you have a decent camera, especially a DSLR, it can probably shoot in RAW. Also called a digital negative, it's an uncompressed file format that retains a lot more imaging data than JPG.

@kevguy ,welcome to the forum ,i cant think of much to add ,to the many helpful posts ,that have already been written ,except the Mini3 pro with the Fly more combo and the DJI RC remote with the built in screen would be my suggestion of the way to go

Reactions: rjwmorrell
@kevguy ,welcome to the forum ,i cant think of much to add ,to the many helpful posts ,that have already been written ,except the Mini3 pro with the Fly more combo and the DJI RC remote with the built in screen would be my suggestion of the way to go
I agree totally that the remote with the screen built in is the way to go.

i vill tale mini 3 pro

Thia one wish controller wish screen

To add a bit to this - while I agree with other comments that one should not count on OA, after purchasing my M3P, I have found it very helpful - I don't think it avoided any catastrophes but I have found it very helpful and useful. I opted for the M3P with the RC remote and have been very happy. It was more money than I wanted to spend but it has been worth it for me.

Welcome. You will love either of those drones depends on your budget. Billy Kyle has great videos on them.

Any tips for flying in winter/cold weather? I assume the battery life is less?

Main tips are -

1) Keep batteries warm at "room" temperature until JUST before you use them
2) Battery life / flying time IS reduced
3) Try to keep fingers/hands warm. When they're cold you lose dexterity!

A little update here...

I've been trying to find the Mini 3 Pro with the Fly More Kit. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to exist. Even buying the Fly More Kit stand alone seems to be in short supply.

Right now, the Mini 3 Pro is on sale for about $120 off.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne