DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro as second drone, good?

Well, guys.
With my Mavic 3 on the left hand i got the Mavic 2 pro and Mavic 2 zoom on my right hand. I was thinking about selling both drones with the smart rc i own.

For a lot work i could use M3, so the M2Z/M2P is gonne be faded away in my cases but when it comes to jobs around crowd (like events, partys) i could not use the m3 because of regulations/rules.

So i was thinking about the possibilities to buy a Mini 3, for those kind of jobs. My eyes are just very curious for the 48mp option. I think that size of images are very PRO for a lot of work. Is there any possibility that the Mavic 3 also got any 'superres' option in the near future?

Is it better to get a mini 3 pro and sell my both mavic 2's or better to hold the 2 mavic's up??
based on the fact that I was hoping the mavic 2 pro would also get the Super Rez shots , I would say no on the Mavic 3.
That super Rez was one of our favorite features on the drones, and happy to see it on the Mini 3 Pro .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water

Yes, i had the Mavic 2 pro and Mavic 2 Zoom already. I know the mavic 3 must be way better in several ways in comparing to the mavic 2 pro/zoom, so thats why that is the reason i want to sell my both 2 serie drones. And then - maybe , after the forum guys comments - i like to buy the Mini 3 pro especially for the 48mp daylight photos and fly near public. Got some jobs in the near history where customers ask me for photos with 8000+ pixels. 20mp is not that much for big scaled printwork. It took more time/work because of taking more photos and merge them together in post processing.
I truely dont understand why the heck dji did not put a bit more mp in the maincamera from the Mavic 3..... or that ot has some factory-ready upscaling options, like some superres possibilities or something like that..... missed change imo.

Before I could use the Mavic 2 zoom for it with the super res photo. Still a amazing option but its running out of everything.
I had in mind the Mini 3 pro could the same work because of the 48mp option, only better (because better lens) was my idea.
There are a couple of things that the Mavic 2 series can do that the M3 cannot:
Precision Litchi missions.
DroneDeploy

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
There are a couple of things that the Mavic 2 series can do that the M3 cannot:
Precision Litchi missions.
DroneDeploy
Now that is subject to change and is just about waiting it out , but not the super rez pictures as I dont think that will be added ever.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.. Land on the Water.

No, it has a 48mp sensor, but in groups of 4 under each color filter. The 4-pixel groups can be processed together to produce one output pixel, so the output is 12mp. The (theoretical) advantage is less noise and more accurate color, which can (theoretically) reveal more detail, but only in the subtle differences in color -- which is to say, most of the time it doesn't make any significant difference except the noise reduction.
This has been hashed over and over again,it is a true 12mp sensor upscaled to 48 mp .
As I have the same thing in my Air 2,.the 48mp setting is no better in my opinion.It is a
sales gimic that frankly they could have done without.

I would consider the Mini 3 as a first choice drone even though its my second one owned, a Phantom 3 Pro and love it because I can program to use Litchi for waypoint missions. The Mini 3 is light years a head and now forces me to finally learn to fly manually. Having intelligent flight modes, makes this super easy to get great shots like my old Phantom would using 3rd party apps. The Phantom is now a legacy drone and restricted to open countryside which doesnt bother me at all because I love being out in the wilds away from people, its just the added bulk of carrying extra gear that forces me to choose a smaller drone. The Mini 3 is a content creaters dream because its so travel friendly and more pro than people think. There was a time when film makers hired helicopters to get the desired aerial shot, now it can be done with a sub 250g drone with intelligent flight features and 10 bit video. For me, the Mini 3 Pro is better than every other drone in DJI's line up because of the freedom it offers to fly in less restricted areas and the video quality is stunning.

Last edited:
This has been hashed over and over again,it is a true 12mp sensor upscaled to 48 mp .
As I have the same thing in my Air 2,.the 48mp setting is no better in my opinion.It is a
sales gimic that frankly they could have done without.
Where has it been "hashed over"? My understanding comes from articles like this: Quad Bayer sensors: what they are and what they are not

And here's an article about the Air 2 specifically: What the 48mp Mavic Air 2 really means for high-resolution photography

People seem to agree with you that the 48MP images leave a lot to be desired, but I have not seen anyone claiming it's because it's a "true 12mp sensor." If you have better information, I'd like to see it.

I Have a Mavic 3 and purchase a Mini 3 as my second drone. It seems like a great combo and gives the best of both worlds. I just got confirmation my Mini 3 Pro shipped from DJI today. Yay!
I own an Air 2S and a Mini 2 which I’m very happy with. The Air 2S for more adventurous in tight quarters with its obstacle avoidance sensors and the Mini 2 for the “closer to people gatherings”.

I’m a child of the Kodak / Polaroid era 📸. So, the results I get with either camera with the 5+k photos and the 4K videos along with the multitude of shooting features in the software…blows my mind 🤯. My mirrorless Fujifilm digital camera has been sitting on the shelf collecting dust ever since I began droning.

My combo really is “the best of both worlds” . . . to me. Glad you found your best combo too.

Last edited:
Where has it been "hashed over"? My understanding comes from articles like this: Quad Bayer sensors: what they are and what they are not

And here's an article about the Air 2 specifically: What the 48mp Mavic Air 2 really means for high-resolution photography

People seem to agree with you that the 48MP images leave a lot to be desired, but I have not seen anyone claiming it's because it's a "true 12mp sensor." If you have better information, I'd like to see it.
Check around and do some digging you will find this to be true,no time,not interested in engaging
in this pointless matter.done

Well, guys.
With my Mavic 3 on the left hand i got the Mavic 2 pro and Mavic 2 zoom on my right hand. I was thinking about selling both drones with the smart rc i own.

For a lot work i could use M3, so the M2Z/M2P is gonne be faded away in my cases but when it comes to jobs around crowd (like events, partys) i could not use the m3 because of regulations/rules.

So i was thinking about the possibilities to buy a Mini 3, for those kind of jobs. My eyes are just very curious for the 48mp option. I think that size of images are very PRO for a lot of work. Is there any possibility that the Mavic 3 also got any 'superres' option in the near future?

Is it better to get a mini 3 pro and sell my both mavic 2's or better to hold the 2 mavic's up??

Well, guys.

First it is an amazing second drone. I would not use it as my main drone, due to the camera...

If it were me I would definitely sell the M2Z. That drone has largely been eclipse by the Air2S. While the Mavic three is an excellent drone and he has some features that the Mavic2 pro does not have, the one thing that the M2P has is the availability of third-party apps which might be a while incoming with the M3. If having apps such as Litchi I’m not important to you than yes, sell both Mavic 2s.

The Mini 3 is a very impressive little drone. With the DJIRC controller it is head and shoulders better than the mini2. The smoothness and finesse of control of the mini three has been outstanding. And while I have not yet tried the mini3 with the RCN1 controller I suspect that I would lose some smoothness were I to use that controller with the mini3. If you aren’t restricted to staying under 250 g I can tell you that the extended battery of the mini3 allows it to fly seemingly forever. For me, I don’t see the practical need in upgrading to a Mavic 3 and the M2P will suffice for now. I can tell you that the video images from the mini3 aren’t quite as buttery smooth looking as the M2 P, but pretty darn close. At this moment I think the Air2S is an overall better drone than the mini3, but the mini3 does have its unique advantages, the extended flight time being one of them.

The M2P should only leave you by being pried from your cold dead fingers.

It's the last DJI consumer drone to support on-board waypoint missions.

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard