DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 pro cannot fully tilt gimbal up 90 degrees

The Tello needs to be able to film forward.
Imagine if the gimbal could tilt up 40 degrees. If could fly forward at higher speeds while still pointing the camera forward towards the direction of the drone.

Now imagine the same drone but instead of tilting up 40 degrees it can only tilt up 10 degrees.
This dictates how much the frame is able to tilt before you lose forward vision.

A Tello with a possible 40 degree gimbal tilt will gave more options (better speed and wind resitance) compared to a Tello with only a possible 10 degrees gimbal tilt.

DJI drones up until 60 minutes from now, have always had their gimbal obstructed by the 'roof', limiting gimbal motion. Today, that limitation will be taken away, thus allowing for future drones to go beyond what was possible before
I made a small bracket and mounted the Tello's camera on it such that it was pointing slightly upwards. Lets say it was 40deg, for argument's sake. I can guarantee you that this didn't make the drone go faster or have any better wind resistance. On the contrary the small extra weight and surface area adversely affected the speed and wind resistance by a miniscule amount.

What @rilot references with regards to usability for filming is the crux of the issue. Usability of footage a separate issue from wind resistance. To demonstrate that point, I could contrive a situation where my drone is getting blown away and totally unable to resist the wind it is facing, but still get quite useable footage. Nearly all the photos and video I've used from my drones has had the gimbal pointing somewhat downwards. The main appeal for using drone rather than a camera from the ground is to get that "looking down from above" perspective. sure, there are scenarios when you'd like the camera pointing horizontally forward, and having plenty of gimbal range upwards to counter any airframe tilt will be useful (and is currently a weak point in the current range of mavic styled drones)

Out of curiosity @test2000Anafi what is your definition of wind resistance? I suspect it is a bit different to most people's, and understanding what your definition is may stop a lot of arguments.

Reactions: Meta4
I made a small bracket and mounted the Tello's camera on it such that it was pointing slightly upwards. Lets say it was 40deg, for argument's sake. I can guarantee you that this didn't make the drone go faster or have any better wind resistance. On the contrary the small extra weight and surface area adversely affected the speed and wind resistance by a miniscule amount.

What @rilot references with regards to usability for filming is the crux of the issue. Usability of footage a separate issue from wind resistance. To demonstrate that point, I could contrive a situation where my drone is getting blown away and totally unable to resist the wind it is facing, but still get quite useable footage. Nearly all the photos and video I've used from my drones has had the gimbal pointing somewhat downwards. The main appeal for using drone rather than a camera from the ground is to get that "looking down from above" perspective. sure, there are scenarios when you'd like the camera pointing horizontally forward, and having plenty of gimbal range upwards to counter any airframe tilt will be useful (and is currently a weak point in the current range of mavic styled drones)

Out of curiosity @test2000Anafi what is your definition of wind resistance? I suspect it is a bit different to most people's, and understanding what your definition is may stop a lot of arguments.

for arguments sake: Compare the tilt of the airframe when you are flying 1 meter per second, to when you are flying 19 meters per second.
Would you say the frame itself is tilted down more at faster speeds compared to slower speeds?

Now that you understand that, lets move forward.

Imagine a drone where because of the gimbal the frame can tilt down only 5 degrees as the frame would be obstructing the view, compared to a drone where the frame can tilt down 40 degrees before the view is obstructed.
Which drone would be able to fly faster while maintaining forward viewing?

Again lets move forward.

Are there any DJI drones were the airspeed is faster when the camera is pointing down?
The answer is no, thus we can conclude that the max speed of DJI drones is dictated by the maximum airframe tilt allowed before the forward view/ gimbal would be obstructed.

Read this again, and add everything up.

for arguments sake: Compare the tilt of the airframe when you are flying 1 meter per second, to when you are flying 19 meters per second.
Would you say the frame itself is tilted down more at faster speeds compared to slower speeds?

Now that you understand that, lets move forward.

Imagine a drone where because of the gimbal the frame can tilt down only 5 degrees as the frame would be obstructing the view, compared to a drone where the frame can tilt down 40 degrees before the view is obstructed.
Which drone would be able to fly faster while maintaining forward viewing?

Again lets move forward.

Are there any DJI drones were the airspeed is faster when the camera is pointing down?
The answer is no, thus we can conclude that the max speed of DJI drones is dictated by the maximum airframe tilt allowed before the forward view/ gimbal would be obstructed.

Read this again, and add everything up.
Did you actually read anything I wrote? in posts #38 and #41? Read them again and add everything up, please. Especially the bit about gimbal range NOT affecting the maximum airframe tilt, nor maximum airspeed.

Also, get on with actually stating your definition of wind resistance so everyone can stop going around the same pointless argument circle.

When flying forward into a headwind with the camera pointing horizontally forward DJI drones don't let the camera angle limit their airspeed. If needed they automatically adjust their camera angles down and tilt further forward. You're framing this issue as limited wind resistance, when it is actually limited gimbal range. On the Mavic mini (aka mini 1) a similar issue happens when the gimbal is pointed down 90deg - the gimbal can jump back to between 70 and 80deg. THAT has spolit a few of my shots.

Perhaps try a bit less of the condescending tone too..."Now that you understand that". Earlier posts would have shown that I already understand that. But you'd need to read said posts to understand that.

I do think we have some common ground in that we agree that more upward gimbal tilt is a good thing and resolves the annoying gimbal dip issue that besets the Mavic style drones.

Last edited:
Airframe tilt dictates speed. Gimbal design dictates maximum airframe tilt.

do you disagree with the above?

Wind resistance is ability to fight the wind while keeping your subject in frame and producing usable footage. So no changing horizon, props entering the frame and so on

DC Rainmaker does excellent demonstrations regarding this on his YouTube channel Btw

Reactions: scro
Airframe tilt dictates speed. Gimbal design dictates maximum airframe tilt.

do you disagree with the above?
Yes. I very much disagree.

Airframes can tilt beyond the gimbal range. The result is the horizon is no longer level in the camera view.

Reactions: test2000Anafi
Yes. I very much disagree.

Airframes can tilt beyond the gimbal range. The result is the horizon is no longer level in the camera view.

do you disagree with the fact that there is a minimum forward camera angle that DJI dictates for all its drones?

2 minute and 22 seconds should the timestamp not work.
This is exactly what I have been trying to explain for weeks.

He says "mini 2" and later "some previous DJI drones", but what he means is, every DJI drone ever produced that is not the mini 3 pro (and to a lesser extent Mavic 3)

do you disagree with the fact that there is a minimum forward camera angle that DJI dictates for all its drones?
There's no question that DJI set limits for camera tilt.
But it doesn't have any effect on the drone's flying characteristics.

Wind resistance is ability to fight the wind while keeping your subject in frame and producing usable footage. So no changing horizon, props entering the frame and so on
Wind resistance has nothing to do with camera work and everything to do with how wind speed affects the flying characteristics of the drone.

DC Rainmaker does excellent demonstrations regarding this on his YouTube channel Btw
This is exactly what you should have stated a long time ago.

It goes well beyond just resisting wind, and starts to include photographic requirements for framing subjects in the camera, and producing useable footage.

All your "explaining" has been to people who understand how drones and gimbals behave, what their limits are and how they interact. But... it has been with a different and not widely supported definition of wind resistance. That's why it's always ended up in exasperation for both parties, and why I pressed for you to give your definition.

This is exactly what you should have stated a long time ago.

It goes well beyond just resisting wind, and starts to include photographic requirements for framing subjects in the camera, and producing useable footage.

All your "explaining" has been to people who understand how drones and gimbals behave, what their limits are and how they interact. But... it has been with a different and not widely supported definition of wind resistance. That's why it's always ended up in exasperation for both parties, and why I pressed for you to give your definition.
Wind resistance as DJI quantifies it is in line with my definition.

were it not, then it would be the same as max airspeed

DJI has never defined the number they give for wind resistance and it's tricky to work out what it means.
They've definitely never even hinted that it has anything to do with camera tilt and it makes no sense to suggest that it does.
The best explanation I've been able to come up with is that it's the max wind speed that the drone can hold position against when hovering in Normal mode.
It's a completely useless number that means nothing to flyers.

If max airspeed was taken as max wind resistance then you'd no longer have full control of the drone when flying at the max windspeed it can allegedly resist - you would be limited to flight in a general downwind direction from your takeoff point..

Seems to be an ambitious definition of wind resistance for anyone to propose.

Last edited:
If max airspeed was taken as max wind resistance then you'd no longer have full control of the drone when flying at the max windspeed it can allegedly resist - you would be limited to flight in a general downwind direction from your takeoff point..

Seems to be an ambitious definition of wind resistance for anyone to propose.
Sorry I meant:
“were it not, then it would be proportional to max airspeed”

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143