DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 pro cannot fully tilt gimbal up 90 degrees

You said that the Mini 3 "takes pictures faster than other DJI drones so that should not be the issue (shooting panoramas).
Your explanation makes no sense ... but I forgot that you don't understand photographic basics and just make up nonsense.
Lol I never said that it takes pictures faster, I just gave a possible explanation as to what the other person could have meant

The difference in max speed of the mini 1 and 2 is not proportional to the difference in wind resistance. Your theory is thus based on……….. ?
If you know the max speed of the drone in still air (DJI give this in the specs) you know all you need to know about how it will handle wind.
But I already suggested that.
A drone that can fly faster is less affected by wind than a drone with a slower max speed.
That's basic flight physics.

Yeah that is not really the case for mini 1 and 2 making your statement/theory quite invalid
You correct.
1 It has a ground speed limit. If you fly into the wind it's the attitude limit that sets the max windspeed
2 When the drone gives high wind warning, it switches to 40degrees attitude for a while. Makes it much better to fight wind. I wish I knew how to trigger it programmaticly.

I will try the mini3 with the speed limit removed. Then we know how much wind it can handle.
I hope it allows higher attitude since the gimbal can tilt more upward.
The mavic 2 is limited to 19m/s, however it has a max speed at about 23m/s when you bypass the speed limit. That is how much wind it can handle.

I'm really looking forward to this drone :)

• Love
Reactions: test2000Anafi
You correct.
1 It has a ground speed limit. If you fly into the wind it's the attitude limit that sets the max windspeed
The max tilt angle , limits the max airspeed.
I will try the mini3 with the speed limit removed. Then we know how much wind it can handle.
There is no single number to indicate how much wind a drone can handle.
It's going to depend on what direction you want to fly relative to the wind and how slow you are prepared to accept.
The mavic 2 is limited to 19m/s, however it has a max speed at about 23m/s when you bypass the speed limit. That is how much wind it can handle.
Handle?
So the drone can "handle" a 23 m/s wind, because it has a max speed of 23 m/s?
If you need to fly against a wind of 23 m/s wind, the only "handling it will be doing is just managing to hold position while you fly as fast as you can.

The max tilt angle , limits the max airspeed.

There is no single number to indicate how much wind a drone can handle.
It's going to depend on what direction you want to fly relative to the wind and how slow you are prepared to accept.

Handle?
So the drone can "handle" a 23 m/s wind, because it has a max speed of 23 m/s?
If you need to fly against a wind of 23 m/s wind, the only "handling it will be doing is just managing to hold position while you fly as fast as you can.
Yes exactly, I'm glad you finaly got it!

You correct.
2 When the drone gives high wind warning, it switches to 40degrees attitude for a while. Makes it much better to fight wind. I wish I knew how to trigger it programmaticly.

I'm really looking forward to this drone :)
You are probably the only one on this entire board (aside from me) that understands the gimbal design will allow better wind resistance, looking forward as well. No more gimbal tilt down!

• Haha
Reactions: surfbird
First the weight of the drone was the most important factor in predicting wind resistance. Then max speed. So we at least made some progress there lol.

First the weight of the drone was the most important factor in predicting wind resistance. Then max speed. So we at least made some progress there lol.
What nonsense are you going on about this time?
The weight of the drone has never been an important factor.

Reactions: Okie
What nonsense are you going on about this time?
The weight of the drone has never been an important factor.
You will find many post by a lot of senior, experienced and knowledgable members from this board suggesting that a light weight drone will not be able to handle the wind well compared to heavy drones. For them, it was one of the best predictive factors for wind resistance.

Somebody posted a video in which some drones were compared as ‘proof’, however in that exact video, a very heavy Autel drone did not fare well against drones less than half the weight. I was the one to point that out btw but who is keeping score lol.

I don’t want to call out any members who believe weight is an important factor.

I do want to add that I was ridiculed for explaining how the gimbal angle (and thus the max inclination of the airframe upwind or at max speed) is very important for the drone design, MUCH more important than weight. At this point in time, only 1 or 2 posters on this board believe that theory.

I've yet to come across a drone whose airframe tilt angle is limited by its gimbal range, so am not sure why increased gimbal range is being put forward as a reason why the mini 3 will have better wind resistance.

The limits on thrust and tilt angle is what determines the drone's airspeed, and hence ability to resist wind, not gimbal rage, camera angle, weight etc. Limit the angle or the magnitude of the thrust vector and the horizontal component (this is what pushes the drone forwards through the air/wind) gets limited. That's why there's so little support for the argument that increased upward range of a gimbal equates to better wind resistance.

I have a drone with only a fixed angle camera (Tello). Taking the argument that gimbal range dictates wind resistance it should have no wind resistance at all. It does have a respectable amount for what it is.

I've yet to come across a drone whose airframe tilt angle is limited by its gimbal range, so am not sure why increased gimbal range is being put forward as a reason why the mini 3 will have better wind resistance.

The limits on thrust and tilt angle is what determines the drone's airspeed, and hence ability to resist wind, not gimbal rage, camera angle, weight etc. Limit the angle or the magnitude of the thrust vector and the horizontal component (this is what pushes the drone forwards through the air/wind) gets limited. That's why there's so little support for the argument that increased upward range of a gimbal equates to better wind resistance.

I have a drone with only a fixed angle camera (Tello). Taking the argument that gimbal range dictates wind resistance it should have no wind resistance at all. It does have a respectable amount for what it is.
It's that if the tilt angle of the drone exceeds the tilt angle of the camera, then the view will stop being horizontal and the camera will be looking down.
In terms of the physics there is no correlation, but in terms of usability - you want a level horizon for filming - there is a correlation.

Reactions: test2000Anafi
The Tello needs to be able to film forward.
Imagine if the gimbal could tilt up 40 degrees. If could fly forward at higher speeds while still pointing the camera forward towards the direction of the drone.

Now imagine the same drone but instead of tilting up 40 degrees it can only tilt up 10 degrees.
This dictates how much the frame is able to tilt before you lose forward vision.

A Tello with a possible 40 degree gimbal tilt will gave more options (better speed and wind resitance) compared to a Tello with only a possible 10 degrees gimbal tilt.

DJI drones up until 60 minutes from now, have always had their gimbal obstructed by the 'roof', limiting gimbal motion. Today, that limitation will be taken away, thus allowing for future drones to go beyond what was possible before

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf