DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro Falls from Sky

BTW, the update on my iPad doesn't have "Files" still..

iTunes is a big pain, there maybe a couple of flights on my iPhone. Anyways I'm positive iTunes, will get what need.

Rod ..

I completely understand the value of logs now.
After flying my replacement drone I used Airdata to examine its flight. The amount of information was amazing. And valuable. Obviously, I had a erased the previous logs when I deleted the cache when exchanging my damaged drone. I'll never know the reason that it tumbled down, but I truly suspect I over ran the battery, and it went into emergency landing mode, catching me completely by surprise

I did a similar test flight (this time only a few feet above ground) and got the low battery warning at around 16% and within less than a minute the drone initiated emergency landing. The window for a reaction is very small. I wish I knew the parameters the drone uses to initiate emergency landing.

There has been a recent spate of Mini 3 type drones that falling from the sky, I recollect at least three, one on Skye, one in Norway and one in N.Ireland, you'd do better to look for those logs ASAP. From memory of those threads each drone was replaced FOC.
& another...

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).jpg
    Screenshot (1).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
&

& another...
Can you post the phantomhelp URL please or PM it to me?
I know there's no connection, location wise, between the incidents but that's, obviously, at least the second incident on Skye.
Also if you haven't already synced with DJI since the flight, can you copy the DAT to computer, upload it to a file hosting site and either post a link to the page or PM the link to me?
What damage, if any, was done?

Can you post the phantomhelp URL please or PM it to me?
I know there's no connection, location wise, between the incidents but that's, obviously, at least the second incident on Skye.
Also if you haven't already synced with DJI since the flight, can you copy the DAT to computer, upload it to a file hosting site and either post a link to the page or PM the link to me?
What damage, if any, was done?
Damage has rendered IMU useless, compass orientation, casing popped, front left flight arm wobbly in it's socket, right forward sensor chipped, props bent out of shape, gimble random compliance. It will power up but beyond that, unresponsive. Smashed a Freewell ND16 as well just to rub it in. As you can see, no interference, no collision with anything, bird strike, no rotor off position on the sticks, it just fell out of the sky on a line that has been flown 100 times, & having just flown a 600m very complex hyperlapse mission without a skip of a beat.

Most likely the Forced Landing that started was because the battery was so low.
Its easy to get caught off guard as you most likely were not very high and the drone does desend quickly.

Only if you totally ignore the battery status display. No excuse for being caught off guard by a low battery charge.

I completely understand the value of logs now.
After flying my replacement drone I used Airdata to examine its flight. The amount of information was amazing. And valuable. Obviously, I had a erased the previous logs when I deleted the cache when exchanging my damaged drone. I'll never know the reason that it tumbled down, but I truly suspect I over ran the battery, and it went into emergency landing mode, catching me completely by surprise

I did a similar test flight (this time only a few feet above ground) and got the low battery warning at around 16% and within less than a minute the drone initiated emergency landing. The window for a reaction is very small. I wish I knew the parameters the drone uses to initiate emergency landing.
I wouldn't have thought deleting the cache would erase the flight logs. Do/did you by any chance sync your logs with DJI? If so try another sync or better yet instal the fly app on a 'clean' phone or tablet, it doesn't matter whether it's Android or IOS, log in to the App and do a sync, that should download, from DJI, any 'missing' logs.

BTW if you want to examine a log upload it to phantomhelp then download the csv, download and instal CsvView CsvView Downloads and process the csv with that, it can generate the graphs/charts that you may have seen in other threads.

Last edited:
I no longer have that drone, it was replaced. I will try your suggestion out of curiosity but I have come to the conclusion my lack of experience caused me to think I had enough battery power remaining right before it emergency landed bouncing off the roof.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I no longer have that drone, it was replaced. I will try your suggestion out of curiosity but I have come to the conclusion my lack of experience caused me to think I had enough battery power remaining right before it emergency landed bouncing off the roof.
I think your thinking is flawed.

There is certainly a threshold below which the drone will start to descend, that's a safety feature and the percentage at which that occurs depends on height.
The feature is designed to get the drone down on the ground with "juice still left in the tank" and I think aimed at getting the drone on the ground with 10% charge or more left. The descent rate is controlled and the drone can actually be controlled and even made to climb during this.
Unless someone's done something daft such as keep the drone up high by NOT letting it descend the drones motor SHOULD NOT stop with the drone in mid air.
I doubt DJI would have replaced the drone if you did that as that would be pilot error/stupidity.

If your drone's motor did stop in mid air then something has gone wrong or you have triggered the motor stop with a CSC but the latter is quite tricky for a newbie to do UNLESS you have been messing with "Advanced settings" and again I doubt DJI would have replaced a drone in those circumstances.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor