DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro out of cell range

Actually, the Avata transmitter and goggles neither have gps. Since the drone has good enough signal to set home point, it has plenty sufficient to satisfy RID. You must connect the phone to the goggles to provide this.
This post explains why this is incorrect, with a reference to the FAA page covering the issue.

The Avata, having native RID support, is required to broadcast the real-time location of the control station.

As are all models of the Mini 3, keeping this on-topic.

This post explains why this is incorrect, with a reference to the FAA page covering the issue.

The Avata, having native RID support, is required to broadcast the real-time location of the control station.
The control station has no real time location, unless a GPS capable device is plugged in. The drone GPS has zero to do with the controller location.

Reactions: Torque
The control station has no real time location, unless a GPS capable device is plugged in. The drone GPS has zero to do with the controller location.
You completely missed the point.

The control station MUST have GPS and transmit its real-time location to the drone for RID broadcast, unless it is a legacy aircraft manufactured before the integrated RID requirement went into effect in 2023.

Without this, there are additional operational restrictions, like not being able to operate beyond VLOS, which is coming.

If the aircraft was manufactured after the date RID integration was required (I believe that was this past fall), then it MUST have integrated RID, and is not allowed to operate without real-time controller location broadcast.

You completely missed the point.

The control station MUST have GPS and transmit its real-time location to the drone for RID broadcast, unless it is a legacy aircraft manufactured before the integrated RID requirement went into effect in 2023.

Without this, there are additional operational restrictions, like not being able to operate beyond VLOS, which is coming.

If the aircraft was manufactured after the date RID integration was required (I believe that was this past fall), then it MUST have integrated RID, and is not allowed to operate without real-time controller location broadcast.
WOW!!! That is what I said!!!! The CONTROLLER for the Avata does not have GPS! Neither do the Goggles, that is why a GPS device must be attached before flying. Although the newest goggles DO have, I believe. The RC N1 does NOT have GPS unless a device with GPS is plugged in.

WOW!!! That is what I said!!!! The CONTROLLER for the Avata does not have GPS! Neither do the Goggles, that is why a GPS device must be attached before flying. Although the newest goggles DO have, I believe. The RC N1 does NOT have GPS unless a device with GPS is plugged in.
Yes. You are exaclty right I don't think Mightypilot has flown the Avata or is familiar with it judging from his posts.

Just tested with the Avata.

If you disconnect the phone during flight, "RID error" displays on the lower left of the display. I suspect the last control station location is then broadcast with the RID packet from the aircraft, and a flag indicating the operator has disabled location at the control station. I DON'T KNOW THIS, I AM SPECULATING.

I doubt highly that this is not a violation of the regulations, and bet there are penalties should The Man choose to pursue enforcement.

Of course, control of the aircraft isn't impacted in any way. That would be reckless and stupid of either or both the authorities and DJI.

Yes. You are exaclty right I don't think Mightypilot has flown the Avata or is familiar with it judging from his posts.
Are you a comedian?

That was hilarious. Especially from someone that's liked many of my posts here on this forum :rolleyes:

Saying someone "missed the point" is not saying they're wrong. What he posted, in reply to my post, was correct. It simply was irrelevant (missed the point) to my post.

I was discussing the distinction between legacy drones and current model drones re: RID and broadcast control station location requirements. I used the Avata as an example of an RID integrated aircraft that must continuously broadcast the real-time location of the control station.

Depending on the goggles being used, you may have to attach a GPS capable smartphone to satisfy this requirement. However, that is no longer absolute (i.e. Integra).

Last edited:
Are you a comedian?

That was hilarious. Especially from someone that's liked many of my posts here on this forum :rolleyes:
Wow! I wasn't throwing shade at you. so drop the insulting and defensive attitude.
Your responses honestly made it seem like you didn't know that the Avata requires a phone tethered to the goggles to launch. Nothing more, nothing less. Chill.

Are you a comedian?

Saying someone "missed the point" is not saying they're wrong. What he posted, in reply to my post, was correct. It simply was irrelevant (missed the point) to my post.

I was discussing the distinction between legacy drones and current model drones re: RID and broadcast control station location requirements. I used the Avata as an example of an RID integrated aircraft that must continuously broadcast the real-time location of the control station.

Depending on the goggles being used, you may have to attach a GPS capable smartphone to satisfy this requirement. However, that is no longer absolute (i.e. Integra).
"Missed the point"? Then you reiterate exactly what I wrote?

"Missed the point"? Then you reiterate exactly what I wrote?
Show me where you said anything regarding legacy vs. compliant aircraft. If I genuinely missed that somehow, then my bad, and sincere apology for accusing you of missing my point.

Wow! I wasn't throwing shade at you. so drop the insulting and defensive attitude.
Came across that way to me. I was wrong, that's on me. Sorry.
Your responses honestly made it seem like you didn't know that the Avata requires a phone tethered to the goggles to launch. Nothing more, nothing less. Chill.
I'm frosty 😁

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian