DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro out of cell range

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I don't think I've had occasion to fly out of cell range. My Mini 3 requires me to connect my phone before being able to fly but what if I were entirely out of cell range. The Avata also needs to access my phone before flying. Would either or both entirely fail to fly if I were completely out of cell range?

I don't think I've had occasion to fly out of cell range. My Mini 3 requires me to connect my phone before being able to fly but what if I were entirely out of cell range. The Avata also needs to access my phone before flying. Would either or both entirely fail to fly if I were completely out of cell range?

I've done almost all my flying out of cell range. Cell service is not needed - the only time I had problems was when it wanted a flyspace update (which I obviously couldn't do) - as long as you make sure you are up to date while you have service you should be fine. If you want maps you'll need to do the offline maps as well.

I've also seen suggestions to turn on airplane mode during flight so calls, texts, etc won't interrupt your flight.

Does the RID stuff require cell coverage or can it work solely off the screen device's own GPS location?

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque
Does the RID stuff require cell coverage or can it work solely off the screen devices own GPS location?

I don't know but from what I've seen it uses the GPS from the drone (not the controller) - and I would not expect it would require cell coverage in order to work.

I use a noncellular iPad mini 6 as a screen on the controller. Never had any situation where I couldn't fly. RID still works without cell service. I do believe you only need to use location services on your tablet or phone. If I were to use my phone, I put it in airplane mode and that turns off cellular service as well. My mini 3 never has required me to connect to cell service except for using internet to update firmware or maps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: fgurnee01
I don't know but from what I've seen it uses the GPS from the drone (not the controller) - and I would not expect it would require cell coverage in order to work.
Sorry but I suspect, note suspect, the controller's location is NOT determined using data from the drone and that it depends on either its own GPS or the GPS of an attached phone etc..
If I am correct that might be a major problem for people who use tablets without GPS..... if any such devices exist now.

Sorry but I suspect, note suspect, the controller's location is NOT determined using data from the drone and that it depends on either its own GPS or the GPS of an attached phone etc..
If I am correct that might be a major problem for people who use tablets without GPS..... if any such devices exist now.
I believe when I first loaded the fly app on my iPad mini, it required location services set to whenever using app in order to work. I am guessing location services is only when it is on WiFi or something. No network, no cell service required.
I'll have to see what happens if I turn that off and try to start up the drone.

It's a couple of years old but I had to by a cell capable iPad to get GPS. I need GPS for my aviation software. It is my understanding that all cell phones in the US are required to have GPS and they transmit our coordinates when we call 911.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
It's a couple of years old but I had to by a cell capable iPad to get GPS. I need GPS for my aviation software. It is my understanding that all cell phones in the US are required to have GPS and they transmit our coordinates when we call 911.
Ive been flying modern drones since the Phantom 2 with an iPad. No cell service. My DJI Mini, Mavic Air, Air 2, Air 2S, Mini 3 Pro are all flown this way. NO Cell Service required. I dont understand why all your drones required it.

Ive been flying m modern drones since the Phantom 2 with an iPad. No cell service. My DJI Mini, Mavic Air, Air 2, Air 2S, Mini 3 Pro are all flown this way. NO Cell Service required. I dont understand why all your drones required it.
Is your iPad cell capable?

Actually, we're talking apples to oranges. Just because an iPad isn't cell capable, doesn't mean it can't fly a drone. And that's above my paygrade but I don't believe that non cell capable iPads have GPS capabilities.

That's interesting and contrary to what I have found.
The only time I need cell or internet is if I have logged out of DJI and need to log back in... or update maps and firmware. While out flying, no cell service required. and I frequently fly in areas where even my phone doesn't have cell service.

Actually, we're talking apples to oranges. Just because an iPad isn't cell capable, doesn't mean it can't fly a drone. And that's above my paygrade but I don't believe that non cell capable iPads have GPS capabilities.
except that my non cell capable iPad asks if I want location service on with dji fly app.
if not cell capable, what does apple use for location service? And, if RID relies on GPS, how can I be RID compliant without GPS? Flying the Air2s and even the Mini 3 pro shows RID compliance GPS is in the drone not the controller

except that my non cell capable iPad asks if I want location service on with dji fly app.
if not cell capable, what does apple use for location service? And, if RID relies on GPS, how can I be RID compliant without GPS? Flying the Air2s and even the Mini 3 pro shows RID compliance
I don't know, we got lots of questions and not enough answers. I hear tale that connecting to WIFI enhances location services but I don't know how. I can't find details on the Apple site but a search of the web says that there is no GPS on iPads without the cell option.

I don't know, we got lots of questions and not enough answers. I hear tale that connecting to WIFI enhances location services but I don't know how. I can't find details on the Apple site but a search of the web says that there is no GPS on iPads without the cell option.
I dont know about what happens if you dont have cell services or wifi when loading the fly app. I dont think you can download and install Fly app without it. Normally, when installing it you do have cell or wifi service. But, after you have set it up, logged into your DJI account... go fly without cell, go fly without a cell device, all is well and you can fly while also being RID compliant. I dont really know exactly where the drone gets its GPS from... either apple or android device. Maybe neither.
I would assume that GPS is transmitted from Drone and Controller since thats how RID works.

I dont know about what happens if you dont have cell services or wifi when loading the fly app. I dont think you can download and install Fly app without it. Normally, when installing it you do have cell or wifi service. But, after you have set it up, logged into your DJI account... go fly without cell, go fly without a cell device, all is well and you can fly while also being RID compliant.
Do the non smart controllers have GPS in them?

Do the non smart controllers have GPS in them?

Good question.. but I think the question should be does the drone have gps transmitted to the controller. RID seems to suggest that GPS is not only transmitted from drone, but also from controller to show location of both

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer