DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro out of cell range

Good question.. but I think the question should be does the drone have gps transmitted to the controller. RID seems to suggest that GPS is not only transmitted from drone, but also from controller to show location of both
I figure it has to, it displays on the map exactly where it is when I have the map open.

I figure it has to, it displays on the map exactly where it is when I have the map open.
So... with that, I dont think the device used as a monitor has anything to do with it. RC Pro, RC, RC-N1 with android or apple and the old controllers from Mavic Mini and Mavic Air.
Not saying for certain... but just my opinion.. But like I said., I fly with non cell devices.

So... with that, I dont think the device used as a monitor has anything to do with it. RC Pro, RC, RC-N1 with android or apple and the old controllers from Mavic Mini and Mavic Air.
Not saying for certain... but just my opinion.. But like I said., I fly with non cell devices.
It does sound that way and that's a plus for anyone who wants to use a dedicated tablet to fly with. One without cell capabilities would be cheaper.

I could not get my Tripltek to work with my RC with a screen. Turned out the Tripltek had a setting for Location that had to be enabled. It does not have an cellular ability but it can determine GPS coordinates apparently so that was all that needed to be set. I think all iPads can determine gps and log locations so I would expect them to be able to be used ....so odd that they failed for anyone.

... I think all iPads can determine gps and log locations ...
No. I just checked the "Tech Specs" pages for every iPad model on Apple's website. ALL of the iPad models say the following:

ALL MODELS: Digital compass, Wi-Fi, iBeacon microlocation.
WI-FI + CELLULAR MODELS: GPS/GNSS, Cellular.

This agrees with my 7-year experience using a Wi-Fi-only iPad Mini 6 to fly a 3DR Solo, and it agrees with many folks in this thread: Wi-Fi-only iPads do NOT have GPS.

Do the non smart controllers have GPS in them?
No, they don't and it doesn't matter because the drone doesn't need to know the location of the controller.
As many have already explained, they fly with non-GPS enabled tablets and have no problems doing it.

Reactions: Walleye Hunter
I don't think I've had occasion to fly out of cell range. My Mini 3 requires me to connect my phone before being able to fly but what if I were entirely out of cell range. The Avata also needs to access my phone before flying. Would either or both entirely fail to fly if I were completely out of cell range?
No
I don't think I've had occasion to fly out of cell range. My Mini 3 requires me to connect my phone before being able to fly but what if I were entirely out of cell range. The Avata also needs to access my phone before flying. Would either or both entirely fail to fly if I were completely out of cell range?
You do not need cell service to fly.

Reactions: Torque
GPS is not needed for basic flying a DJI drone. It is only required for real time map updates on the controller.

Controller location would be determined by the homepoint of the drone. If you have a non-cell enabled tablet, when you move, the drone only has the homepoint as a reference for the controller for RID. If you move to another location, it still gives the original homepoint as the controller location unless you reset the homepoint to the new controller location. The drone does its own GPS logging for RID. That's how I assume that this all works.

GPS is not needed for basic flying a DJI drone. It is only required for real time map updates on the controller.
You probably mean cell range, not GPS.
But the mini 3 logs out of your account if not used for around 3 months, and you need to log in again. This requires cell range or wifi.
Here is what DJI says about the issue: "The log-out period is 3 months. If the account is not re-logged in within 3 months, it will automatically log out and need to be re-logged in."

Controller location would be determined by the homepoint of the drone. If you have a non-cell enabled tablet, when you move, the drone only has the homepoint as a reference for the controller for RID. If you move to another location, it still gives the original homepoint as the controller location unless you reset the homepoint to the new controller location. The drone does its own GPS logging for RID. That's how I assume that this all works.
And how does the controller know its new location? What controllers have GPS capabilities?

And how does the controller know its new location? What controllers have GPS capabilities?
It doesn't, the drone records the homepoint and assumes that's where the controller is located for any RID location broadcasts. If you move away from the homepoint, the drone doesn't know that and will still show the original homepoint as the location of the pilot.

It doesn't, the drone records the homepoint and assumes that's where the controller is located for any RID location broadcasts. If you move away from the homepoint, the drone doesn't know that and will still show the original homepoint as the location of the pilot.
That's what I'm thinking unless you have an RC or RC Pro. I don't remember how to do it but I do remember setting up a shortcut to set my homepoint to a new controller position or the drone's current position with Litchi. I don't think the controller that came with the Air 2S has that capability.

I need to connect a phone (or GPS capable tablet) to my goggles to fly the Avata and my DJI FPV drones. Cell service is not required, but GPS is. That phone attached to my goggles allows RID to show my location. I understand that the new Integra Goggles from DJI have a GPS module built in and will not need to be tethered to a phone.

That's what I'm thinking unless you have an RC or RC Pro. I don't remember how to do it but I do remember setting up a shortcut to set my homepoint to a new controller position or the drone's current position with Litchi. I don't think the controller that came with the Air 2S has that capability.
That function doesn't depend on the controller.
It depends on having a GPS-enabled phone or tablet.
Most phones have GPS.
Most Android tablets have GPS - there are just a few exceptions.
Only cell-capable iPads have GPS.

Reactions: Walleye Hunter
The point re Avata is, the GPS in the Avata which records the home point is insufficient the satisfy RID requirements, hence the requirement to be connected to a GPS capable phone, running DJI Fly, tracking the controller location. It is continuously updated, sent to the aircraft, and broadcast with the RID data.

FYI, this page at the FAA gives a pretty good summary of the requirements and operation of RID. To summarize:
  • Aircraft with built-in RID capability must have controllers with GPS capability and transmit that location continuously to the aircraft for RID broadcast.
  • Legacy aircraft without RID must have an RID module attached, and will broadcast take-off location as the controller location.
The page makes reference to legacy craft being limited to VLOS operation, which implies changes in the operating rules to allow beyond VLOS operation possibly on the horizon for full-function RID systems. Interesting.

In any case, for most of models we're generating posts about on this forum, GPS is gonna be required on the controller.

The point re Avata is, the GPS in the Avata which records the home point is insufficient the satisfy RID requirements, hence the requirement to be connected to a GPS capable phone, running DJI Fly, tracking the controller location. It is continuously updated, sent to the aircraft, and broadcast with the RID data.
Actually, the Avata transmitter and goggles neither have gps. Since the drone has good enough signal to set home point, it has plenty sufficient to satisfy RID. You must connect the phone to the goggles to provide this.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman