DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MINI 3 PRO PICTURE AND PRICE LEAK FOR UK

The Pro Controller will probably have 1000+ nits sustained brightness (Sustained is important. The few phones that can be that bright will throttle to lower brightness when hot like in sunlight on a hot day). It can possibly provide better wireless performance because of the antennas. Also, it provides a clean HDMI (1080p30fps on the mini 3) out which you can use for connecting to displays or what I would use it for which is connecting it to my computer as a streaming video source with OBS.
OK, now this is helpful!

I've always thought of a nit as something that you pick, so I did have to look that up. Odd name for a unit.

The HDMI out is a definite plus, enough for me to consider getting one eventually.

I'm having a hard time getting an apples-to-apples (or nit-to-nit...) Comparison between this brightness, and my Samsung Galaxy S20 Note. All of the articles I saw on a quick scan either gloss over, or don't make, the distinction between the S20 Note, which I have, and the S20 Ultra, which I don't have. 720 nits for the Note, and 1500 nits for the Ultra? Does anyone have clean data on this?

The reason that this matters to me is that even at max bright, my S20 Note is essentially unusable for this purpose in direct sunlight, without a sunshade. Could you see the Pro Controller screen well enough to use it as a navigation device in direct sunlight?

In the full-sized aircraft world, "Sunlight Readable" has a very well defined meaning when it comes to instruments, and my S20 Note doesn't even come close. How well does the Pro Controller meet that standard?
It will blow the mini 2 out of the water (or air?). A more apt comparison will be the Mini 3 Pro vs the Air 2S.
Perhaps, but I have a Mini-2, and I don't have an Air 2S, so the -2 vs -3 comparison is what interests me!

Thx!

Not really. It will just fly like a fast mavic, but with somewhat fixed wing aircraft dynamics, which is boring imo.

The true potential of a qwad can only be unleashed with its traditional controller, which will allow you to fly it any direction at any time and in all orientations, enabling you to do truly amazing maneuvers.

Then it will truly fly like the high powered stone it is and not like a mere airplane.
Ahhh, but I have well over 1000 hrs in fixed wing aircraft, and I like that flight sensation!

1651507861391.png

Yea, but For the “vision impaired” due to age 🥹 (or other) it’s SMALLER screen size then that of an iPhone MINI.

Definite plus is no cables but a mostly proprietary version of Android.

Has screen brightness or resolution specs been leaked? This could yet turn out to be a lower quality screen as it seems a lot cheaper.
Small Screen Bad, Big Screen Good!

I'm currently using a cell phone, and it looks bigger than that. But brightness is my biggest interest, and I'm having a hard time finding directly comparable data for these screens, vs what I have now. Brighter is fine. How much brighter is what I really need to know to evaluate it.

No cables is a nice-if, and a mostly proprietary version of Android is fine with me.

Reactions: EliteBleader
Small Screen Bad, Big Screen Good!

I'm currently using a cell phone, and it looks bigger than that. But brightness is my biggest interest, and I'm having a hard time finding directly comparable data for these screens, vs what I have now. Brighter is fine. How much brighter is what I really need to know to evaluate it.

No cables is a nice-if, and a mostly proprietary version of Android is fine with me.
I had the original DJI smart controller for about one week about six or so months ago and returned it because while it was definitely brighter than my iPad mini 5 it wasn’t significantly brighter enough for me to overcome the smaller screen versus the larger iPad mini. The option was either do not see a small bright screen 😀 or shade my larger slightly dimmer screen. While it was brighter, I couldn’t see it because everything was too small for me. The iPad was not quite as bright but at least I can see what I need to see worst case using my hand to shade the screen or a commercial shade. I now I have an iPad mini 6 which is even somewhat better than the five but I just sold my air2 waiting for the mini 3 to try it out. Had they only made this controller 7 inches vs 5 I’d be in piggy heaven.

Reactions: Aerophile
I had the original DJI smart controller for about one week about six or so months ago and returned it because while it was definitely brighter than my iPad mini 5 it wasn’t significantly brighter enough for me to overcome the smaller screen versus the larger iPad mini. The option was either do not see a small bright screen 😀 or shade my larger slightly dimmer screen. While it was brighter, I couldn’t see it because everything was too small for me. The iPad was not quite as bright but at least I can see what I need to see worst case using my hand to shade the screen or a commercial shade. I now I have an iPad mini 6 which is even somewhat better than the five but I just sold my air2 waiting for the mini 3 to try it out. Had they only made this controller 7 inches vs 5 I’d be in piggy heaven.
I always wear reading glasses when I fly, so small is OK, if I can get BRIGHT.

But it does have one characteristic that I consider to be a defect.

Why would anyone think it's a good idea to put the screen below the control sticks?

Reactions: Aerophile

Why would anyone think it's a good idea to put the screen below the control sticks?
Don’t like half of your drones have the screen (phone) below the control sticks?
I agree that its bad design but it’s like half of the standard

Don’t like half of your drones have the screen (phone) below the control sticks?
I agree that its bad design but it’s like half of the standard
I know it's common, sadly.

What I'm curious about is why anyone would think it's a good idea. Somebody does, it it wouldn't be that way!

;-)

Hopefully you have reading (non-polarized) sunglasses !!! :D :D :D

@Chaosrider, I'd say the biggest difference and issue between N/S mode and Manual is the change in stick/control behavior.

All DJI drones in N/S mode operate the sticks in angle mode, where the pitch/roll angle from level is proportional to stick deflection. push the stick half way forward and hold it there, and the aircraft will pitch forward to an angle around half full pitch, and hold that angle. In effect, it makes the speed of the drone proportional to stick deflection. Important that this is your unconscious Muscle Memory.

Manual operates in rate mode, which is very different. Stick deflection is proportional to the rate at which the aircraft rotates around the pitch or roll axis. Hold the pitch/roll stick off-center, and the aircraft will continue to pitch or roll, the bigger stick deflection input, the faster the aircraft will pitch or roll in that direction, and just keep on. That's how loops and barrel rolls are done.

So, you gonna crash, at first. A lot! You have to learn new reflexes for how to respond in real-time to aircraft behavior and orientation. That's why you learn on the simulator, until you can fly around consistently, and with confidence no matter what orientation you find yourself in.

The biggest thing you'll notice at first is there is no neutral hover in place stick position. Push the pitch stick forward for a moment then return to center; the Mini 2 stops, and holds altitude and position. Do the same in M on an FPV and it just keeps on flying forward, at a fixed pitch.

It's also losing altitude, if you didn't compensate with a bit more throttle on the left stick. You've changed the thrust distribution, some of it pushing forward that was prior going in to fight gravity.

With the Mini 2, the on-board Flight Controller takes care of all this for you. Manual mode is much less automated.

Because putting it above the sticks creates a difficult physical design problem in gripping the controller securely..

As annoying as the high sticks are, it's nothing compared to how obnoxious the design would be to support them below the screen.

Imagine the RC-N1, but with a built-in screen above the sticks, where the phone holder retracts.

Lovely.

Yeah. The ma2 controller is hard to use if you are a pincher or a hybrid. Had to re learn being a thumbs pilot for it.

Still, now that the fly app supports exp modding, you dont need to ve a pincher/hybrid to be accurate. Thumbs and good rates do the trick as well, since you are not required to fly low, fast and furious, and do crazy stuff.

Yeah. The ma2 controller is hard to use if you are a pincher or a hybrid.
I'm a pincher. Never had a problem with the newer controllers. I actually find them more comfortable for pinching than the old Mavic / Mavic 2 controller.

@Chaosrider, I'd say the biggest difference and issue between N/S mode and Manual is the change in stick/control behavior.
That's how it looks to me too. I'll start with my usual Timid Training Technique, and build up my skills over time. Still a couple of weeks away...

;-)
Manual operates in rate mode, which is very different. Stick deflection is proportional to the rate at which the aircraft rotates around the pitch or roll axis. Hold the pitch/roll stick off-center, and the aircraft will continue to pitch or roll, the bigger stick deflection input, the faster the aircraft will pitch or roll in that direction, and just keep on. That's how loops and barrel rolls are done.
Intellectually I understand this. I'll see how it feels in the air! To the extent that it's similar to the way a fixed-wing aircraft operates, it will be natural for me.
So, you gonna crash, at first. A lot!
I doubt it. I'm very patient, and not in any hurry.

Still, my initial Manual Mode flights will be over a field of nice, spongy sagebrush!

:cool:
The biggest thing you'll notice at first is there is no neutral hover in place stick position. Push the pitch stick forward for a moment then return to center; the Mini 2 stops, and holds altitude and position. Do the same in M on an FPV and it just keeps on flying forward, at a fixed pitch.
Understood, but this prompts a question.

There is a hover in place stick position of sorts...whatever the stick position is after you hit the Brake Button! Which also converts it back to Normal mode. I assume it feels weird to have the bird in Normal mode, but with resistance on the stick(s), yes?

Something to be ready for...
It's also losing altitude, if you didn't compensate with a bit more throttle on the left stick. You've changed the thrust distribution, some of it pushing forward that was prior going in to fight gravity.
Just like a regular airplane. If you enter a steep turn, you need to add power or raise the nose or both, or you'll lose altitude.
With the Mini 2, the on-board Flight Controller takes care of all this for you. Manual mode is much less automated.
That's why it's called Manual Mode...

1651590200853.png
Because putting it above the sticks creates a difficult physical design problem in gripping the controller securely..

As annoying as the high sticks are, it's nothing compared to how obnoxious the design would be to support them below the screen.

Imagine the RC-N1, but with a built-in screen above the sticks, where the phone holder retracts.
Maybe it's just a failure of imagination...which would be unusual for me...but I don't see why this would be uncomfortable at all. It's basically what the Mini-2 has now, except with the screen built in, and I find that entirely comfortable.

Perhaps I'm missing something...

Why would that not be so?

Thx!

There is a hover in place stick position of sorts...whatever the stick position is after you hit the Brake Button! Which also converts it back to Normal mode. I assume it feels weird to have the bird in Normal mode, but with resistance on the stick(s), yes?
Yes, but some caveats. The brake disables the RC until the sticks are centered. So to get control back, you have to recenter the throttle manually before the aircraft will respond. As mentioned you will be in N mode, so it's a little trickier to fly than what your used to because the throttle doesn't return to center.

Be sure and keep an eye on altitude when flying N/S with the throttle mechanics adjusted for manual flight.

On the Motion Controller the brake completely disables the controller... you can let go and let it dangle and swing around on the wrist strap, with the drone completely ignoring it, hovering in place. Must hit the brake again to restore control.

I don't think the issue is comfort, I think it's size. It would be huge.
I have a hard time seeing that as a problem.

Like the Moody Blues said a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, it's just a Question of Balance.

If the thing was well balance, I think it would be easy to hold.

And for a given screen size, I just can't see why having the screen on top of the sticks, instead of under them, would be more awkward.

What am I (still) missing?

Thx

Yes, but some caveats. The brake disables the RC until the sticks are centered. So to get control back, you have to recenter the throttle manually before the aircraft will respond. As mentioned you will be in N mode, so it's a little trickier to fly than what your used to because the throttle doesn't return to center.

Be sure and keep an eye on altitude when flying N/S with the throttle mechanics adjusted for manual flight.

On the Motion Controller the brake completely disables the controller... you can let go and let it dangle and swing around on the wrist strap, with the drone completely ignoring it, hovering in place. Must hit the brake again to restore control.
Good to know, and I'll watch for that.

I definitely want to get the motion controller, but that's down below both the Fly More kit and the second pair of goggles in the priority stack.

Thx!

when I bought my fly more combos mini 2 for 433 euro and Air2S for 877 euro, they also had the FPV with goggles and controller for 777 euro.
It was all on clearance but the FPV was out of stock :( that was so disappointing I could almost cry

I have a hard time seeing that as a problem.

Like the Moody Blues said a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, it's just a Question of Balance.

If the thing was well balance, I think it would be easy to hold.

And for a given screen size, I just can't see why having the screen on top of the sticks, instead of under them, would be more awkward.

What am I (still) missing?

Thx
Well, I don't know your hands, but for some out there it would be ungainly. Not me, I have pretty large hands.

But I'm hardly average, and there are a not insignificant contingent of female (and probably Furries, Aerogender, Alexigender, Domgender, Esspigender, and 67 other officially recognized genders) that might find it awkward.

Especially the Furries, if I think about it.

Man things were simpler in the old days when there were just women and men, and football was just a sport and not a political debate.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flonke