DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro range is terrible (in Canada/FCC region)

Buy a RC-N1 then wait for a fix buddy. Plus if you are CE , u can switch it to FCC for stonk signal

Bought Mini 3 pro in Taiwan. It's supposed to be a FCC version, but box is full of CE and EU marks without FCC. So i'm not sure which exactly model it is. Taiwan is in FCC region. Registered without problem with DJI Care for Taiwan. So i may assume it's correct version for Taiwan. Taiwan is full of mountains so it's not easy to find a long distance to fly. I've tested on RC with screen. Flew ~3km with 100% reception - that's the max distance i could find around my home from roof. Hope i will find a larger space to check the reception limit.
Anyway, it seems i don't have problem with range. Basically 3km should be enough for my needs.

Reactions: Torque
Bought Mini 3 pro in Taiwan. It's supposed to be a FCC version, but box is full of CE and EU marks without FCC. So i'm not sure which exactly model it is. Taiwan is in FCC region.
There's only 1 version of the drone and RC. It detects what region it's in from it's gps and then uses the appropriate power output, ie FCC or CE, based on location.

It'll mention FCC on the box too, I'm fairly sure. Written in smaller writing under the CE logo.

There is no FCC logo as far as i see. There is a sticker on box with CE and NCC. NCC is Taiwan analog of FCC. In communication i set "auto" frequency and drone choose 5.8GHz band. 2.4GHz is too noisy in my area according to graph on RC.

Ok, went to the same spot in my second test today to test it again after the factory reset of the RC and unfortunately it's still behaving the same. It's so inconsistent for a $1000 drone it's kind of ridiculous.

I think I'm going to return it at this point and look into a none DJI mini drone, as this has been a terrible experience (along with their useless customer support)
Prob better to keep complaining about it for a few more weeks

Those who have range issue: try force 2.4GHz and force 5GHz. 2.4GHz i think is quite busy band and may affect the range.

This is my 4th signal/range test, after the recent update if anyone's curious. Signal is still atrociously inconsistent even in wide open country fields

The first 3-4 minutes of the video are acceptable levels of signal loss, then it just ***** the bed. Multiple full disconnects between 4 and 6 minutes.

Also the compass is still off despite me pointing directly at the drone, and I even try to calibrate the RC at the start of the video.

TL;DR I am in Canada and my Mini 3 Pro incorrectly operates in CE mode instead of FCC mode. It seems like a SW bug, but I have found a way to get it into FCC mode and fly it in FCC mode.

Background info… Mini 3 Pro with the RC controller in Canada and often have serious range problems. Signal indicator drops to yellow and red with signal warnings as well as spurious interruptions with the video and controls. Problems usually start at a distance of about 300m (not exaggerating). Have had a couple of forced RTH at about 600m. And this is always at heights of more than 75m usually closer to 100m. Very scared to fly it more than a couple hundred meters away.

I recently came across some information about how to tell if you are in FCC mode or CE mode.
Simply look at the graph at the bottom of the 'Transmission' screen of the Fly app.

CE Mode: ~1km label will be at the -90 line and ~4km label will be at the -100 line
FCC Mode: ~1km label will be about -86 and ~4km label will be about -96

FCCvsCE.png

My normal routine for flying is to power up both the controller and the aircraft, wait until aircraft is ready and home point is set, then take off and fly. What I have found is that this will always result in being in CE mode.

By chance, I powered up both the controller and aircraft inside the house. The aircraft will acquire GPS satellites in my house next to a window, but it will take a few minutes to get to a good GPS status (GPS icon turning white after being red and yellow). When status goes white it also sets a home point. After power up when the aircraft first starts locking on to some satellites and gets a ‘rough’ position(status red or yellow), the graph shows it switching to FCC mode. BUT, as soon as it gets full GPS status and sets home point it switches back to CE mode :mad:

When trying to replicate this, I powered off the aircraft but did NOT power off the controller. I powered on the aircraft again, but this time when it got full GPS and set the home point, it actually stayed in FCC mode!!!

When replicating this sequence outside where the aircraft can quickly acquire GPS satellites, it is much harder to get it into FCC mode. But when powering up the aircraft (the second power up) when satellites are obstructed (therefore taking a lot longer to get GPS like it did in the house), it will stay in FCC mode.

When in FCC mode it behaves SO differently. Like a wet blanket being removed from the controller. One flight test I did, I could easily fly to 2000m with full bars. There were maybe a couple blips of losing 1 bar, but otherwise the signal was excellent. I could have easily gone farther than 2000m, but I was a little low on battery and it was windy so I wanted to make sure I got it back :) When the wind calms down I will try the same flight path and see how far it will go.

On this same flight path when in CE mode there are numerous signal drops, losing 2 or 3 bars at 300m and I could only get to about 800m before it was continuously red and getting signal warnings.

This flight path has pretty good LOS with few obstructions between the controller and the aircraft. Just the tops of a couple of trees.

Last edited:
Sad , i knew it , when the new rc was introduce by youtubers as a dji fly RC only(no 3rd party app), i was like this **** can be a fail for months and without others apps or mod to install it can be a pain about range issue here in France without Fcc mod. So i had an air 2 sold years ago and the RC-N1 on this thing was great both in CE and FCC so i decide to stick with it and order the cheaper pack to be safe ( and mod-free). When you know DJI , you learn about impressive tech and first batch fail.

Last edited:
Following, my Mini 3 Pro and RC Pro arrive tomorrow. PhillyDroneLife posted a YouTube video yesterday doing a city range test in Philadelphia and was able to go out nearly two miles.
I'm hoping the RC Pro will work with the Mini 3 Pro. I was told the Mini 3 Pro will need a firmware patch to enable RC Pro compatibility. If the RC Pro will resolve the range issue, I'm all in. 1200 USD or not.

This is my 4th signal/range test, after the recent update if anyone's curious. Signal is still atrociously inconsistent even in wide open country fields

The first 3-4 minutes of the video are acceptable levels of signal loss, then it just ***** the bed. Multiple full disconnects between 4 and 6 minutes.

Also the compass is still off despite me pointing directly at the drone, and I even try to calibrate the RC at the start of the video.

To get best reception and maximum range, you need to be at maximum altitude. Try going to 120 meters.

I was out last eve on the deck with a direct line of site to a sailboat anchored 350 metres out. I barely made it out to the boat when I started getting signal lost notifications. There was nothing between me and the.boat but open water. My friend was flying his mini 2 at the same time and was out 1.5 km without any range issues. He was standing next to me. Very frustrating.

Reactions: eva2000
I was out last eve on the deck with a direct line of site to a sailboat anchored 350 metres out. I barely made it out to the boat when I started getting signal lost notifications. There was nothing between me and the.boat but open water. My friend was flying his mini 2 at the same time and was out 1.5 km without any range issues. He was standing next to me. Very frustrating.
Does this issue exclusively affect people in Canada?

youre drone should be in FCC right?? there is a post somewhere on youtube that says some american guy noticed that even though he was in the states and should be flying in FCC he noticed when the drone powered up it automatically switched to CE, and he suggested a work around. maybe thats your problem too.

Have a look at Eagle Eye 62 latest comments posted today regarding 2.4 G vs 5.8 G range.

2.4 is best for long range but will be more sensitive to interference whereas 5.8 is best in urban environments where interference is likely to be much higher.

The drone should be able to automatically switch between either frequency to maintain the best possible connection.

I have observed a great deal of variation in the signal strength as the drone moves further away. It can go from 5 bars down to 2 bars in an instant and then back to 5 bars. My best estimate is that I see this variation once I am out around 250 - 350 meters, but it will depend on the environment where I am flying (such as a golf course in an urban area).

I intend to run tests using manual frequency selection, on each frequency.

I believe that DJI will eventually resolve the issue with a firmware update in the near future, as they did with the Mini 2, in view of the many complaints that have been posted regarding poor range on the Mini 3.

I took a flight out to the same boat this morning and this time I used the suggestion by Sean at AirPhotography on Youtube which was to place my controller on top of the drone while it was searching for satellites. It seemed to work. I was able to fly out to the sailboat without loosing signal and I was even able to venture out to abut 600 metres around a corner to photograph another anchored sailboat.

I'll check out Eagle Eyes comments as well. Hopefully this can be fixed with a firmware update.

Oh, and I do live in Canada

Reactions: eva2000
I flew my Mini 3 Pro to test the frequencies available (2.4 or 5.8).
I was unable to manually select the operating frequency. It remained on AUTO.
I also recorded the transmission strength (the "curve) on the RC where you can see the curve jumping around, but always within the 2.4 G range. Never did it go into 5.8 G frequency.
I encourage others to give it a try.
My range maxed out right around 450m which was at the limit of my VLOS to see the drone.

Hey Bobell69, both me and my friend are experiencing similar range issues and sometimes the issues are intermittent. We both have tried this 'fix', however sometimes it fails to work and we have to fly in CE mode. We both bought our drones at the same time and from the same place and was expecting DJI to have fixed this major issue with the latest firmware upgrade. However this was not the case. I hope DJI is soon going to make things right so we it's customers can finally enjoy our expensive investment.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661