DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro range is terrible (in Canada/FCC region)

shadow3467

Reactions
I've had 6-7 flights with it now and seriously considering returning it if possible

I can barely get to 600m away (with almost clear line of sight) before I get signal warnings and the drone saying its going to return to home by itself...

I was hoping this was more of a CE region thing and that once we got the drone here in NA it would be better but doesn't seem like it

Anyone else experiencing this?

This is my first drone so Im not sure how the mini 2 or air2s perform in similar situations. But only being able to go out 500m makes me feel like I paid for an overpriced toy rather than a serious piece of tech

I've had 6-7 flights with it now and seriously considering returning it if possible

I can barely get to 600m away (with almost clear line of sight) before I get signal warnings and the drone saying its going to return to home by itself...

I was hoping this was more of a CE region thing and that once we got the drone here in NA it would be better but doesn't seem like it

This is my first drone so Im not sure how the mini 2 or air2s perform in similar situations. But only being able to go out 500m makes me feel like I paid for an overpriced toy rather than a serious piece of tech

Did you try to point your remote to the drone? Were there any differences in the signal quality? BTW, which remote did you use?

Reactions: rgrammer
Did you try to point your remote to the drone? Were there any differences in the signal quality? BTW, which remote did you use?
Using the RC with the screen that came with the min 3 pro

And yes I have to keep the controller pointed directly at the drone to even get the 2 bars of signal, but at a certain range (500-600m) even that doesnt help

Where did you have your fingers? Seems the antennas are behind the top edge of the controller between the shutter/record buttons and if you rest your fingers over the area you can inadvertently partially block the signal.

Reactions: Torque
Where did you have your fingers? Seems the antennas are behind the top edge of the controller between the shutter/record buttons and if you rest your fingers over the area you can inadvertently partially block the signal.
That seems to be an issue with several who have poor range - their fingers were covering the top antennas as they held the RC.
Hoping the OP will let us know if this was the issue.

This is concerning to me. I have been able to fly my Mavic 1 and mini 2 3 miles away in the mountains where I live. There are some really nice rocky slabs I fly it to. I was hoping I would be able to do the same with the mini 3.

Using the RC with the screen that came with the min 3 pro

And yes I have to keep the controller pointed directly at the drone to even get the 2 bars of signal, but at a certain range (500-600m) even that doesnt help

From your experience, how sharp was the “radio beam” of your remote?

That seems to be an issue with several who have poor range - their fingers were covering the top antennas as they held the RC.
Hoping the OP will let us know if this was the issue.
Dont think that was the cast for me, I dont have large hands and my fingers were mainly on the bimal/zoom wheels and not past them to the middle. I know where the antenna are on this RC, dont think I was blocking them at all

Reactions: scro
From your experience, how sharp was the “radio beam” of your remote?
Honestly it seems very sensitive, like off by 25 degrees will make a noticeable signal loss

Will go do some more testing in a straight line today if the wind permits

Reactions: Pulp26
Reports indicate the nc-rc1 (ie mini 2 controller) gets good range, but the new controller with screen is a bit less reliable

DJI have given us a toy to control the drone with. It's nothing more than a cheap piece of plastic with a display and lots of space inside with a couple of batt's connected to a motherboard.

Did you lose signal and the drone performed a RTH at 600 meters?

Did you lose signal and the drone performed a RTH at 600 meters?
Yes that's happened twice now, the other times now I get scared when it gets low signal so I turn back manually

It's been raining nonestop in Ontario today and likely the next few days so no chance for a flight, but next change I get, I'm going to go somewhere flat and fly in a straight line see how far I get

Reactions: rgrammer

What is an "almost clear line of sight"? What is possibly in between your RC and AC?

Im from FRANCE (CE), in a medium city 20 km away from Paris , the signal was horrible (1km) , so i tested out two things and its way better , first I patched my RCN1(classic RC) for FCC MOD + i choose 5.8ghz only . I get more than 2km with full power signal in city and its already enought for me . You must fly highter than 100m if u start from a low point as i do (downhill)

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JesseLaw