DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro RC Screen Lock and Dangerous Loss of Aircraft Control with App 1.6.8

Mike107

Premium Pilot
Reactions
There are two other threads about App 1.6.8 and both have comments about screen lock ups on the RC controller. There is no thread dedicated to the issues. There are reports on the internet as well. This Tech Drone Media video i the s an example, although my particular experience was a bit different the two events are similar.

Now that I have also experienced partial loss of control of the aircraft, I thought the topic deserved its own thread.

After updating to Fly App 1.6.8 I was able to use--to the limited extent I could test it, Active Track features. This is a new drone and that feature previously had not made itself available no matter what I did. After the update which includes firmware V01.00.0200 I had some ability to use Active Track. I also noticed that the RC controller began to populate videos in the APP section of the viewer. I also recall that my maximum distances for height and flight were set to new and very long numbers.

What was worrisome was that I had a several minute lock up of the RC controller screen which did not self-resolve. Prior to this prolonged lock up I had experienced both some stuttering screen updates (not in active track or other intelligent mode) and a brief lock up. When I did have the long lock up I do not believe I was in any intelligent mode, either. I did not lose control of the aircraft and I was able to land it manually. I did have some warning screen I could not read and I did lose some video. I resolved the issue by powering down and back up. I was able to fly only a few more minutes due to battery status, but in free flight the controller and M3P seemed to work normally. In none of these episodes was there any issue with strength of connections and the aircraft was either several hundred feet or less than 10' away. I may or may not have been using screen recording during any of the anomalous behaviors.

Today I upgraded to firmware v01.00.0201 and went to test fly--This is when the Mini 3 Pro with RC Controller became potentially dangerous due to partial loss of aircraft control. The aircraft was never very far from me--like 2 to 80 feet?, and I never saw any connection warnings. I allowed wifi and blue tooth to turn off. I was using screen record when possible.

The failure in flight controls started after first use of Active Track--always in landscape. Active track did not behave appropriately, as I could not engage all modes. One confounding issue may have been that the screen recording status box overlaid the Active track menu--hence turning off screen record during testing, and the other was with there being more than one target "+" sign over me when there was but me and grass in the frame. I believe with screen recording off and the status box out of the picture, I still could not engage Active Track reliably.

As before there began to be stuttering screen updates. This was followed by RC Controller Screen Lock up and partial loss of control of the aircraft, and then later a black screen.

The aircraft would Yaw only sometimes and then only very VERY slowly counterclockwise with one or two exceptions where there was almost imperceptible rotation clockwise. The Mini 3 Pro would not land manually. It seemed as though some unexecuted Yaw commands were being interpreted as height commands. Otherwise, the aircraft would ascend/descend and go fore/aft briskly in response to control inputs. Eventually the RC control screen went black. I made a small test of input controls (no change), said, "heck with this," and went to try to hand catch the drone. (It was a poor attempt as I hadn't realized hand-catching isn't a luxury maneuver but an emergency maneuver to be practiced, and I caused the drone rise.) I went back to the controller after the failed attempt to catch the "Golden Snidget" and the screen was back on but not updating. The drone would not land manually. I tested one other thing which did work. I used the Land Drone/Home feature. I pressed the icon on the Left side of the screen, the box opened and allowed me to select Land, which the aircraft did do.

Couple other things--As was the case yesterday, there was no response to "wait/close app" when the "App Not Responding" box appeared. New today, I did notice a series of what looked like "cached commands" simultaneously displayed on the screen at one time. If you've seen screen recordings where finger presses show as circles, this is what I saw on the screen over my frozen image and the warning box mentioned above--a bunch of those circles.

Not sure where to go with all this. Active Track seems to be a precipitating feature for my two flights and at least one other person's, so I suppose I will test fly without it if I can get the right conditions. Maybe.

Not sure if it is reportable to NTSB according to this NTSB Advisory, because of the qualifying statement below.
Listed serious incidents that apply to all UAS include the following events:
• Flight control system malfunction or failure: For an unmanned aircraft, a true “fly-away” would qualify. A lost link that behaves as expected does not qualify.
I am not sure this event is exempt. Does anyone know?

Sorry for the long post. This seems serious and worth telling in enough detail that it doesn't just get flamed as "knucklehead and his drone" by a very loyal DJI enthusiast who doesn't want to believe such a failure is possible. Not that those exist...

And actually, I am very sorry to report this. This is a whole lot of "not flying" I am doing so that I may report the issue to my fellow pilots. To be completely honest, I am experiencing a real loss of confidence and a pretty big disappointment. At any rate, the experience I am having is not the one for which I purchased this drone in the first place. Quite the opposite. This is more like "taxation and vexation" instead of "relaxation" and I am having trouble not seeing more of it ahead of me.

Please add your experiences with this update and any advice you may have.

Mike107

Reactions: SpinItUp
Also, keep in mind that Henrik's video was using aircraft firmware v.01.00.0200. DJI quickly (within hours) pushed out v.01.00.0201 as you are aware.

In any case, I'd report this to DJI directly, and remember, patience is always a virtue. I'm headed out to the back 40 to see if I can recreate what you describe.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Also, keep in mind that Henrik's video was using aircraft firmware v.01.00.0200. DJI quickly (within hours) pushed out v.01.00.0201 as you are aware.

In any case, I'd report this to DJI directly, and remember, patience is always a virtue. I'm headed out to the back 40 to see if I can recreate what you describe.
Yes--The 0.201 made things worse.

Did DJI take down 01.00.0201?I just came in from a test flight done without using Active track/etc. (bad), and s0

In any case, I'd report this to DJI directly, and remember, patience is always a virtue. I'm headed out to the back 40 to see if I can recreate what you describe
Yes--that was his original condition when faults first appeared--as was mine, and we both updated to .0201.
It was after updating to .0201 that things were much worse for me. In the most recent video of his I saw, he was at .0201 but had not reproduced the fault. Lucky him.

Reactions: samuca76
Yes--The 0.201 made things worse.
Thanks. I had tried-Phones are off, chat help is disabled, no reply from DJI forum moderators.

Try doing a refresh of controller and drone with Assistant 2. For some reason it takes several attempts before the update takes completely.
Coincidently... I just came back from a test flight wherein I did not intentionally use any focus/active track or the like. I simply flew in normal mode. (I did have a screen lock and again was unable to either manually land or yaw properly, but i gained a clue.) I came back in and hooked up to DJI Assistant 2, several things flashed across the controller too fast to read, and then when the Assistant finally came up on my PC, it no longer shows v.0201 but that I have v01.00.0000. It also says that .0000 is the current firmware. There is no option to update to v.0201 or to v.0200 that I can find through controller, Assistant 2 or the website. I wonder if DJI took it down?

I just flew several Active Track shots and was unable to recreate what you (and Henrik) describe.

Are you able to update OTA via the Fly app now? I'm just going to pop the Mini 3 onto the computer and see what I see via Assistant 2 - Consumer Drone Series.

EDIT: All is showing as normal for me via Assistant 2.

Attachments

• Kermit Test.jpg
    Kermit Test.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Another test flight on 1.6.8 with firmware v01.00.0201. In a wide-open field with only me around, I did another test flight. My intention was to avoid anything that had to do with Active track, focus track, intelligent flight modes, with the hope that avoidance of those features which clearly have had a lot of new programming, would give me a fault-free flight. It did not.

Part way through the flight the RC Controller screen went to the home page with the M3P and the blue Go Fly box, and the controller stayed frozen on that screen. Just as before I was not able to yaw properly nor to land manually. The faulty flight conditions seemed identical to those in my post above, but this time the RC controller was frozen on a different screen.

At one point I could drag down from the top while frozen on the Go Fly screen. Notifications said I needed to calibrate my compass and that I was screen recording. The aircraft still was not responding normally. One more tap and I was back to the Go Fly home screen. My cell phone footage--poor as it is, shows me tapping and swiping but the corresponding screen recording doesn't show any finger presses during that time. Eventually there are a series of finger presses and swipes showing up on the screen recording and I can see I tapped on Go Fly which took me back to the camera view with Spotlight engaged.

I am not sure how or why Spotlight was engaged, except if by some combination of "stored taps" or activity done behind a frozen screen, but it may shed light on why the aircraft wouldn't yaw properly. That being said, in my last experience the aircraft did yaw in a very abnormal way, and it did so far too much to have kept a subject in spotlight. What yawing it did do and the speed and inputs were not consistent with what I would say is "a normal healthy reaction to input controls during spotlight." Quite the opposite. Nonetheless, If I were a DJI programmer, I might start looking at that area of code.

I came back in, hooked up to Assistant 2, somethings came and went on the controller screen, Assistant showed up on the PC, and it said I have firmware v01.00.0000 and that .0000 is the current firmware. Previously it showed my having updated to .0201.

Mike

I just flew several Active Track shots and was unable to recreate what you (and Henrik) describe.

Are you able to update OTA via the Fly app now? I'm just going to pop the Mini 3 onto the computer and see what I see via Assistant 2 - Consumer Drone Series.

I'm glad you didn't get gremilinized!
Your Assistant screen is similar to what mine used to look like--original and two updates for me, last one being .0201.
I am not prompted to update firmware and cannot see a way to make it happen, even if I refresh.

Do you know any menu inside the controller that shows current firmware?

Yes, hit the three buttons on upper right, then "About" and then scroll down. Also, leave your controller OFF when connecting to Assistant 2. Open the app, get the aircraft plugged into the computer and then power ON the aircraft.

Yes, hit the three buttons on upper right, then "About" and then scroll down. Also, leave your controller OFF when connecting to Assistant 2. Open the app, get the aircraft plugged into the computer and then power ON the aircraft.
I knew I'd seen it somewhere. It shows RC version 01.01.000
Using your connection steps for the aircraft I now see I have gone from .0100 to .0150 to .0201, so thanks for that--but...It doesn't show the .0200 version I flew yesterday. That seems odd. I will refresh the aircraft 0.201 firmware.

Just out of curiosity, what does refresh do.

Thats always a worry when the entire RC dies, at least with RC-N1 if the phone dies, you can engage RTC and control the drone visually to land, no so much with these All-In-One Controllers....

Reactions: Octisurfer
Just out of curiosity, what does refresh do.
Refresh does a new download of firmware from DJI then a new upload to either the controller or to the aircraft. The purpose would be to eliminate faulty or semi-functional firmware stored in the device.

Reactions: Hornet600
Everything refreshed in controller and aircraft including an RC factory reset and use of A2 with the orders stated above….

I did two flights, a small one part way through the process and one when completed the controller knock down and refresh. Here’s what I think I’ve learned.

Before completing process I could see that POI had unintentionally started again during a lock up. There was some response to yaw control, it was slow, incomplete and not the same going port and starboard.

After refreshing M3P firmware, knocking controller back to factory settings and doing an A2 refresh, use of intelligent flight/active track did NOT cause controller lock up. I *think* the active tracks all worked properly but I’m not sure (UPS and the Choo-choo with a boo-boo have my other batteries). With POI engaged now, there was ZEro response to yaw inputs.

Sadly, I seem to be missing a trick, though, as I cannot get maps to load. I’ve used hotspot in my truck and on my iPhone. I did not have any issues updating maps through iPhone previously. It was seamless and not slow.

I’ve had drone power on and off had drone props spinning on pad and aloft, have flown and tested successfully RTH, home point update, forced RTH, powered up and down numerous times, turned WiFi and/or BT back on. I went through all the menus and sr card setting and can’t seem to get any map at all.

Mike107

I just tested again. This time I was wifi with the home internet. Just as before, Location works and shows my place of being, but maps in camera view does not. I will refresh the RC yet again, and see what happens.

Other ideas are welcome...
Mike

Everything refreshed in controller and aircraft including an RC factory reset and use of A2 with the orders stated above….

I did two flights, a small one part way through the process and one when completed the controller knock down and refresh. Here’s what I think I’ve learned.

Before completing process I could see that POI had unintentionally started again during a lock up. There was some response to yaw control, it was slow, incomplete and not the same going port and starboard.

After refreshing M3P firmware, knocking controller back to factory settings and doing an A2 refresh, use of intelligent flight/active track did NOT cause controller lock up. I *think* the active tracks all worked properly but I’m not sure (UPS and the Choo-choo with a boo-boo have my other batteries). With POI (edit: I think I meant Spotlight) engaged now, there was ZEro response to yaw inputs.

Sadly, I seem to be missing a trick, though, as I cannot get maps to load. I’ve used hotspot in my truck and on my iPhone. I did not have any issues updating maps through iPhone previously. It was seamless and not slow.

I’ve had drone power on and off had drone props spinning on pad and aloft, have flown and tested successfully RTH, home point update, forced RTH, powered up and down numerous times, turned WiFi and/or BT back on. I went through all the menus and sr card setting and can’t seem to get any map at all.

Mike107
During the anomalous flights reported above, there was aberrant yaw and complete refusal to land.

I Definitely think the apparent loss of control was related to an unintended active track activation in the background of a frozen RC Controller screen, based on the fact that the Mini 3 Pro will not land and will not yaw when in spotlight modes with a more properly functioning RC Controller.

Mike

I just tested again. This time I was wifi with the home internet. Just as before, Location works and shows my place of being, but maps in camera view does not. I will refresh the RC yet again, and see what happens.

Other ideas are welcome...
Mike
Still 4doesn't work

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas