DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro RC Screen Lock and Dangerous Loss of Aircraft Control with App 1.6.8

Blank Map Box and No RTH Icon after Updating to 1.6.8 and 01.00.0201
This is despite strong internet connections by wifi.

Need more help, if you will, on a new problem. Here is my current status in general:
I have updated the Mini 3 Pro to firmware 01.00.0201 and the controller to 01.01.0000....multiple times.
The use of tracking features is not causing screen locks anymore.
Parallel track is spontaneously converting to Spotlight--and I have no idea if that is expected or not.

Here is the new problem. The DJI RC Controller Map Function is no longer operating after updating.
The map box is blank. No Home point, no aircraft symbol.
There is no RTH screen icon in the camera view screen.

After enlarging the map box, pinching does nothing.
In the map box the only side icon that seems to respond to touch is the eraser.
The RTH button on the RC Controller still worked.
The Location feature on the RC controller homepage shows my correct location.

• I have updated RC Controller firmware multiple times.
  • I have used multiple wifi sources.
  • I have tried to load and cache maps at home, in the field before flight, after takeoff and having turned back on wifi hotspot and bluetooth.
  • I typically have 29-32 satellites locked
  • I manually uploaded my latest flightlog to AirData and it shows the expected trace/GPS data

Suggestions, my worthy colleagues?
Anyone know how to force a re-load of Fly v 1.6.8?

Mike107

Last edited:
Blank Map Box and No RTH Icon after Updating to 1.6.8 and 01.00.0201
This is despite strong internet connections by wifi.

Need more help, if you will, on a new problem. Here is my current status in general:
I have updated the Mini 3 Pro to firmware 01.00.0201 and the controller to 01.01.0000....multiple times.
The use of tracking features is not causing screen locks anymore.
Parallel track is spontaneously converting to Spotlight--and I have no idea if that is expected or not.

Here is the new problem. The DJI RC Controller Map Function is no longer operating after updating.
The map box is blank. No Home point, no aircraft symbol.
There is no RTH screen icon in the camera view screen.

After enlarging the map box, pinching does nothing.
In the map box the only side icon that seems to respond to touch is the eraser.
The RTH button on the RC Controller still worked.
The Location feature on the RC controller homepage shows my correct location.

• I have updated RC Controller firmware multiple times.
  • I have used multiple wifi sources.
  • I have tried to load and cache maps at home, in the field before flight, after takeoff and having turned back on wifi hotspot and bluetooth.
  • I typically have 29-32 satellites locked
  • I manually uploaded my latest flightlog to AirData and it shows the expected trace/GPS data

Suggestions, my worthy colleagues?
Anyone know how to force a re-load of Fly v 1.6.8?

Mike107
A factory reset on the controller would force a reinstallation of all the firmware and software that's been released, including the Fly app.

A DJI "senior team" representative told me a couple of days ago that there was no way to for a user to initiate an update to the Fly app on the Mini 3 Smart Controller. I was unable to update the drone firmware or the Fly app. DJI's ultimate response was "try again later." I eventually found that the DNS my home network was using prevented the controller from downloading from DJI's server than handles firmware updates.

(That blank map screen happened on my Mini 3 once, but didn't happen again after a power cycle on the drone and controller.)

Good luck.

A factory reset on the controller would force a reinstallation of all the firmware and software that's been released, including the Fly app.

A DJI "senior team" representative told me a couple of days ago that there was no way to for a user to initiate an update to the Fly app on the Mini 3 Smart Controller. I was unable to update the drone firmware or the Fly app. DJI's ultimate response was "try again later." I eventually found that the DNS my home network was using prevented the controller from downloading from DJI's server than handles firmware updates.

(That blank map screen happened on my Mini 3 once, but didn't happen again after a power cycle on the drone and controller.)

Good luck.
Thanks, MSC. I did a factory reset once--only way I could figure a reload of new Fly 1.6.8 app would happen. It is good of you to share the engineer's statement, too. I suppose I can do another wipe...
Mike

Thanks, MSC. I did a factory reset once--only way I could figure a reload of new Fly 1.6.8 app would happen. It is good of you to share the engineer's statement, too. I suppose I can do another wipe...
Mike
OK. I did another factory reset of the DJI RC Controller to try to alleviate the dead Maps Box in the Camera View, in hope it would force a reload of the so-far-buggy Fly 1.6.8. The controller gave confirmation of reset.

I don't think the factory reset function wiped 1.6.8 from the RC controller--or it was forced by DJI to reload it on reboot because when powering the RC on, connected to wifi but with the DJI Mini 3 Pro powered down, the first time I visited the Connection screen it gave me a choice of drones to which I could connect. I believe that didn't arrive until 1.6.8. I never had an opportunity to try to make the first update through the DJI Assistant 2 (consumers) software.

I still have a dead map box, live (and more responsive?) Location function.

Any help will be appreciated.
Mike

OK. I did another factory reset of the DJI RC Controller to try to alleviate the dead Maps Box in the Camera View, in hope it would force a reload of the so-far-buggy Fly 1.6.8. The controller gave confirmation of reset.

I don't think the factory reset function wiped 1.6.8 from the RC controller--or it was forced by DJI to reload it on reboot because when powering the RC on, connected to wifi but with the DJI Mini 3 Pro powered down, the first time I visited the Connection screen it gave me a choice of drones to which I could connect. I believe that didn't arrive until 1.6.8. I never had an opportunity to try to make the first update through the DJI Assistant 2 (consumers) software.

I still have a dead map box, live (and more responsive?) Location function.

Any help will be appreciated.
Mike
From what the DJI rep said, I understand that the Fly app is bundled into the update to the controller firmware. That seemed to be the case when I finally got mine to update. There was never an indication that the app was being updated.

I wish I had something else to suggest. I just came in from flying my Mini 3 and everything behaved properly, including Active Track. Good luck. Keep us posted on your progress and the ultimate solution.

Mike107 said: "Part way through the flight the RC Controller screen went to the home page with the M3P and the blue Go Fly box"

I have this issue almost every flight. So far, in my experience, tapping "go fly" returns the screen to normal. I am fortunately not having your other issues even after the upgrades, but I do not use ActiveTrack much.

After the second RC controller factory reset above, I did an additional refresh through Assistant 2 (consumers). The Map box remained blank and I had a screen lock up in FPV without ever having used any active/intelligent flight modes. The lock up was preceded by stuttering images and after it unfroze there did appear aman instruction box about one of those modes but there was no lock box. I ended up at the screen with the blue Go Fly box, tapped back in and kept going. Two steps ahead and one back.

94#
I flashed my RC Controller with the A2 this morning and have a whole new experience--not good.
On the first flight at 10 am(reminder to self--time stamps all messed up) I had a single several second and self-limiting lag in screen update--couldn't tell if controls were interrupted or not. Video stopped at some time and I didn't notice when. Maps was back.

On my noon flight...

1. Maps function again was present (tested for one location, only), but Locating function on the home screen was faulty and wouldn't update to current location. Location on home screen worked fine when maps did not.

2. Video stopped recording on its own.

3. I was in the process of heading in when I experienced a prolonged and severe lag to controls at less than 1000' distance with good signal strengths. The command set started with a zoom command using programmed button/wheel command, followed by some flight controls to see if the Mini 3 Pro was still under my command. After some time (under a minute?) Eventually the commands (which must have been buffered somewhere) executed in quick succession without my ability to interrupt them. I next tried to orient the bird to bring it in and in so doing started with bad problem #4 for the 4th...
4. I was reorienting the Mini 3 Pro to bring it in after a malfunction immediately (I had been working my way back to land with a low battery level I was watching, surprise as I hadn't yet been advised about it). The aircraft must also have been thinking it was time to come home because the Mini 3 Pro went into RTH mode without warning, any change in screen display, or any audible alert. I let it come as it was heading the correct direction at an appropriate altitude, and I wanted the aircraft down. Normally I would interrupt the process and fly it home myself, but I did not test controls or risk stacking commands again.

5. Some minutes after landing I started receiving updates on the RC controller about low battery, return to home, and the screen (--out of sync and much later than the voice alerts) started showing RTH icons and gave the option to abort. The controller seemed to be trying to say two things at the same time once. The aircraft was in my hand about then and I wasn't sure if it was going to take off so it could land!
111_2x.gif

What a tease this sUAS is. The first flight was almost free of enough stress to have reminded me why I bought the M3P--not so much the second one.
Recharge, reflash, retry, repost...the rhythm of life with a Mini 3 Pro and RC Controller.

Happy Independence Day to everyone in the States!
I am grateful to God and those who have given and still give so much to keep liberty strong in whatever part of the world they are doing it. It is a Global thing.
Remember--all it takes for bad things to happen is for a few good people to do nothing.

Mike

Has there always been a Flight Data Center under Profile, or is this new?

Factory reset of RC Controller. No Assistant 2 involvement.

About 13 minutes into my flight I attempted some to get some good photos of my training ground, flipped into portrait at max altitude, flipped back to landscape and began filming again. I lost telemetry of both vertical and horizontal distance and velocity. Home function did not work through the screen icon although a few minutes later a nonresponsive RTH dialog box appeared. That box stayed until I powered off the aircraft, although it at one point was overlayed by a non-responsive "app isn't responding" box. After I powered off the aircraft a box showed up with the words that go with the "Land/RTH" box ("Land: Aircraft will... Return to Home: Aircraft will automatically...") *YET* the image was the Takeoff button.

There is a gap in the images of the screen recording, but the recording itself is unbroken. Sitting on my pad the aircraft telemetry showed it was over 300' high and 300' away. The whole event is around 16 minutes by the time stamps.

Next: Assistant 2 refresh.
Updating firmware is like roulette. Will I be closer to the big payoff or will I be in the hole.

All I want to do is practice and drill to improve my flight skills. At the end of this I'' be more equipped to be an NTSB forensics expert than a pilot.

Attachments

• 2693C30A-FE7E-4CC0-ADD0-1AA3F3C60DEC.jpeg
    2693C30A-FE7E-4CC0-ADD0-1AA3F3C60DEC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • CBA16A4D-6DDA-445C-A20E-79BE5A5BC2B2.jpeg
    CBA16A4D-6DDA-445C-A20E-79BE5A5BC2B2.jpeg
    258.9 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: Torque and MS Coast
Where are the antennae and GPS receiver in the Mini 3 Pro?

Reactions: Torque
After A2 refresh I am still having Fly App freezes. Including just at takeoff and we’ll into the flight. No fancy modes or camera use, just straight up flying in landscape (error in orinal post—I was not in portrait—was just doin plane vanilla flying) mode with screen recording. The app was unresponsive for many minutes, gave an app not responding box, and eventually shut itself down and restarted. That was the best mannered bad behavior…but still very bad behavior indeed.

Last edited:
There are two other threads about App 1.6.8 and both have comments about screen lock ups on the RC controller. There is no thread dedicated to the issues. There are reports on the internet as well. This Tech Drone Media video i the s an example, although my particular experience was a bit different the two events are similar.

Now that I have also experienced partial loss of control of the aircraft, I thought the topic deserved its own thread.

After updating to Fly App 1.6.8 I was able to use--to the limited extent I could test it, Active Track features. This is a new drone and that feature previously had not made itself available no matter what I did. After the update which includes firmware V01.00.0200 I had some ability to use Active Track. I also noticed that the RC controller began to populate videos in the APP section of the viewer. I also recall that my maximum distances for height and flight were set to new and very long numbers.

What was worrisome was that I had a several minute lock up of the RC controller screen which did not self-resolve. Prior to this prolonged lock up I had experienced both some stuttering screen updates (not in active track or other intelligent mode) and a brief lock up. When I did have the long lock up I do not believe I was in any intelligent mode, either. I did not lose control of the aircraft and I was able to land it manually. I did have some warning screen I could not read and I did lose some video. I resolved the issue by powering down and back up. I was able to fly only a few more minutes due to battery status, but in free flight the controller and M3P seemed to work normally. In none of these episodes was there any issue with strength of connections and the aircraft was either several hundred feet or less than 10' away. I may or may not have been using screen recording during any of the anomalous behaviors.

Today I upgraded to firmware v01.00.0201 and went to test fly--This is when the Mini 3 Pro with RC Controller became potentially dangerous due to partial loss of aircraft control. The aircraft was never very far from me--like 2 to 80 feet?, and I never saw any connection warnings. I allowed wifi and blue tooth to turn off. I was using screen record when possible.

The failure in flight controls started after first use of Active Track--always in landscape. Active track did not behave appropriately, as I could not engage all modes. One confounding issue may have been that the screen recording status box overlaid the Active track menu--hence turning off screen record during testing, and the other was with there being more than one target "+" sign over me when there was but me and grass in the frame. I believe with screen recording off and the status box out of the picture, I still could not engage Active Track reliably.

As before there began to be stuttering screen updates. This was followed by RC Controller Screen Lock up and partial loss of control of the aircraft, and then later a black screen.

The aircraft would Yaw only sometimes and then only very VERY slowly counterclockwise with one or two exceptions where there was almost imperceptible rotation clockwise. The Mini 3 Pro would not land manually. It seemed as though some unexecuted Yaw commands were being interpreted as height commands. Otherwise, the aircraft would ascend/descend and go fore/aft briskly in response to control inputs. Eventually the RC control screen went black. I made a small test of input controls (no change), said, "heck with this," and went to try to hand catch the drone. (It was a poor attempt as I hadn't realized hand-catching isn't a luxury maneuver but an emergency maneuver to be practiced, and I caused the drone rise.) I went back to the controller after the failed attempt to catch the "Golden Snidget" and the screen was back on but not updating. The drone would not land manually. I tested one other thing which did work. I used the Land Drone/Home feature. I pressed the icon on the Left side of the screen, the box opened and allowed me to select Land, which the aircraft did do.

Couple other things--As was the case yesterday, there was no response to "wait/close app" when the "App Not Responding" box appeared. New today, I did notice a series of what looked like "cached commands" simultaneously displayed on the screen at one time. If you've seen screen recordings where finger presses show as circles, this is what I saw on the screen over my frozen image and the warning box mentioned above--a bunch of those circles.

Not sure where to go with all this. Active Track seems to be a precipitating feature for my two flights and at least one other person's, so I suppose I will test fly without it if I can get the right conditions. Maybe.

Not sure if it is reportable to NTSB according to this NTSB Advisory, because of the qualifying statement below.

I am not sure this event is exempt. Does anyone know?

Sorry for the long post. This seems serious and worth telling in enough detail that it doesn't just get flamed as "knucklehead and his drone" by a very loyal DJI enthusiast who doesn't want to believe such a failure is possible. Not that those exist...

And actually, I am very sorry to report this. This is a whole lot of "not flying" I am doing so that I may report the issue to my fellow pilots. To be completely honest, I am experiencing a real loss of confidence and a pretty big disappointment. At any rate, the experience I am having is not the one for which I purchased this drone in the first place. Quite the opposite. This is more like "taxation and vexation" instead of "relaxation" and I am having trouble not seeing more of it ahead of me.

Please add your experiences with this update and any advice you may have.

Mike107
Perhaps as a precaution flyers should avoid Active Track until a new firmware comes out. Some have suggested clearing the cache and reformatting their memory cards before flying after the last firmware update.

Just turned on the drone and controller and was informed of another firmware update. This one is Aircraft Firmware 01.00.0201. Claims to fix inconsistencies between firmware updates. Hopefully this addresses the controller lock up.

Reactions: eva2000 and Torque
Perhaps as a precaution flyers should avoid Active Track until a new firmware comes out. Some have suggested clearing the cache and reformatting their memory cards before flying after the last firmware update.
I think that is not an unwise approach, although the newest update seems to make it less of a trigger.

During what at the time was my worst flight to date (controller locked for many minutes, restarted and didn't work, mixed-up on-screen button and description in the same box, overlayed voice prompts, RTH button didn't work, after restart the screen was showing my drone far away in flight when it was in fact landed...)--anyway in that flight I had not used any advanced feature at all. It was what i call a "plain vanilla" flight. Take off with proper conditions and satellite locks, fly well within VLOS and max controller connection strength, don't use "active anything" or any intelligent flight modes, no camera flips, but keep screen recording on.

Just turned on the drone and controller and was informed of another firmware update. This one is Aircraft Firmware 01.00.0201. Claims to fix inconsistencies between firmware updates. Hopefully this addresses the controller lock up.
Thanks, Bob--I have updated, reset to factory and reflashed firmware multiple times.
I will try clearing caches as another independent step, so I appreciate the suggestion from another!

Mike107 said: "Part way through the flight the RC Controller screen went to the home page with the M3P and the blue Go Fly box"

I have this issue almost every flight. So far, in my experience, tapping "go fly" returns the screen to normal. I am fortunately not having your other issues even after the upgrades, but I do not use ActiveTrack much.
I had exactly this problem yesterday with a Mini-SE!

Nup, it wont. I updated just the RC so I could use the Mavic 3 and the RC is laggy and slow since the update, the M3P is still on the older Firmware. Its likely to do with lower end hardware in the DJI RC and DJI fly app its trying to run.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78