DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro refuses to enable Focus Track, claims geo zone where none exists

TT3023

Reactions
Wanted to show a new mini 3 pro owner how to use focus track -- just flying around their backyard. No problems taking off, but all attempts to draw a focus track box yield a "can't enable focus track in Geo 2 zone" error. Thing is, there are no zone restrictions on any maps I can find for their location -- including DJI's. Am I missing something? Thanks.

no clue....never run into that. never heard of anyone else with that complaint either. maybe check with DJI support?

I have solved this problem myself. The issue appears to be max distance/max altitude settings. If they are too low, Active Track will not engage, and the "Can't use focus track due to geo zone" error will appear, even if you are NOT in a geo zone. In my case, initial testing was done with both settings at 20 meters, and increasing them substantially resulted in focus/active track engaging properly without any error message. I haven't tested extensively enough to know what the exact threshold settings are for this to work, or if both max distance and max altitude are involved -- it may be max distance only, but I'm not sure. I have recommended to DJI that the error message be corrected to note the distance setting issue and not erroneously claim that a geo zone is involved, and that the documentation/manual be updated to note this issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: bradm75
I have very little experience with Focus Track since I only recently discovered that it only works in "N" mode. It does work, but with some limitations that I'm only now beginning to discover.

I did copy and paste this from somewhere in the DJI files.

While for Mini 3 Pro If a person is set as a tracking subject, the distance between the aircraft and the subject should be 4 to 20 m (13.1 to 65.6 feet), and the altitude be 2 to20 m (6.5 to 65.6 feet). (Note: The recommended distance is 5 to 10 m (16.4 to 32.8 feet) and the recommended altitude is 2 to 10 m (6.5 to 32.8 feet).

If a vehicle/boat is set as a tracking subject, the distance between the aircraft and the subject should be 6 to 100 m, and the altitude be 6 to 100m (19.7 to 328 feet). (Note: The recommended distance is 20 to 50 m (65.6 to 164 feet)and the recommended altitude is 10 to 50 m (32.8 to 164 feet))

If the aircraft starts to follow the subject, but the distance between the aircraft and target is not in the range of abovementioned distance or altitude, the aircraft will automatically fly into the supporting range. If the aircraft flies in the range of recommended distance and altitude, you will have a better experience of tracking.

Yes, those are the parameters that DJI has documented. And it's in that section that DJI should add warnings about the issue I've discussed above (as well as fixing that erroneous error message in the app).

I have solved this problem myself. The issue appears to be max distance/max altitude settings. If they are too low, Active Track will not engage, and the "Can't use focus track due to geo zone" error will appear, even if you are NOT in a geo zone. In my case, initial testing was done with both settings at 20 meters, and increasing them substantially resulted in focus/active track engaging properly without any error message. I haven't tested extensively enough to know what the exact threshold settings are for this to work, or if both max distance and max altitude are involved -- it may be max distance only, but I'm not sure. I have recommended to DJI that the error message be corrected to note the distance setting issue and not erroneously claim that a geo zone is involved, and that the documentation/manual be updated to note this issue.
Perhaps the 'geozone' message refers to the self-imposed one that comes about as a result of having altitude and distance restraints set too low.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser