DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 pro started drifting, why?

Reggie

Reactions
I recently crashed my mini 3 pro whilst over a river.

It started drifting sideways towards the treetop, then hit the branches and went into the the river.

The flight logs state that I switched to active track, which I don't believe I did,

Could this be a bug?

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2023-05-13_[15-49-43].txt
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
The flight log shows it lost the subject it was tracking:

1684408813538.png

As far as I was aware, I wasn't using active track. I wouldn't do this in that situation, hence my consern about bug.

The flight log shows it lost the subject it was tracking:

View attachment 164273
Any chance of adding a 1/2 or 1/4 speed option to the replay and or offering the option to make the notices transparent or smaller? Quite often on troubled flights with loads of warnings the notices mask the speed and pause button.

The flight logs state that I switched to active track,
Just had a thought, if you do not sync your logs with DJI you might still have the DAT flight log, that might record other useful information and the Mini 3 Pro DAT from the screen device is readable.
If it exists it will be in the sub folder MCDATFlightrecords ( or something like that ) which is in the folder where you found the txt flight log. I don't think you can upload a DAT directly to this site but you could upload it to a file hosting site and post a link here.

Any chance of adding a 1/2 or 1/4 speed option to the replay and or offering the option to make the notices transparent or smaller?
Sure. I'll add that in the next release.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
It is unclear (to me) if you recovered the drone. If you did, the footage might also shed a light. Do you know if you had 'Subject Scanning' active? That will automatically place a plus-sign over trackable subjects which lowers the threshold to start activetrack. Yet it would still not start automatically...

It is unclear (to me) if you recovered the drone. If you did, the footage might also shed a light. Do you know if you had 'Subject Scanning' active? That will automatically place a plus-sign over trackable subjects which lowers the threshold to start activetrack. Yet it would still not start automatically...
Thinking same, touching screen to auto focus not realizing it started active track. But don’t understand why, after losing the subject, it continued to fly (in P-GPS) to the side at 6 to 12 mph. If uncommanded that would take some high winds.

I did recover the drone. I didn't have subject scanning on. I finished filing and hovered, then saw it start to drift towards the trees.

It was bright and sunny, with intermittent GPS issues. I thought it may have drifted due to the weak GPS & highly reflective river, upsetting the downward sensors.

No way did I turn active track on.

I have another drone now, 'insurance', so need to understand why this happened, so I can fly in those conditions confidently again.

Wonder if it's worth contacting DJI?

Reactions: Capt KO
Thinking same, touching screen to auto focus not realizing it started active track. But don’t understand why, after losing the subject, it continued to fly (in P-GPS) to the side at 6 to 12 mph. If uncommanded that would take some high winds.
It was a really still, warm, sunny day.

Reactions: Capt KO
Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
with intermittent GPS issues

I remember reading a review from the early days of droning where the reviewer's loaner drone suddenly updated its GPS position and decided to move to where it thought it should be — right through a tree. That was a sudden movement, though, not a gentle drift.

I once nearly lost a drone when I was hovering over a creek and it suddenly started landing. It had got a better GPS fix and decided it was in an authorization zone so landed. Fortunately it still responded to sideways commands so I was able to get to land just as it touched down.

I'm very curious about this. I have a shot I want to get of a loading terminal that would be smoothest using one of the automatic modes, and would rather not lose my Mini in the ocean…

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54