DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Wifi Compatible??

Scottalmas

Reactions
Are we thinking that the mention of the Mini 3's Wifi 802.11 and bluetooth compatibility will mean that we'll be able to control the Mini 3 with our phones without the use of an RC? Do you think that means the connection between the RC and and our phones could be over BT or Wifi? Neither? Both? I sure hope this means we'll have the option to control the drone via mobile phone if we want that option.

It’s be nice to have the option to use the phone, although in the past that has never worked out that well. It would make sense if they sell a drone only combo though. Just another option. I flew my Spark with my phone for a short time until I was able to get a remote. Since the rumors have everything being sold individually….

For me it's not about "flying" without an RC. I just like the option of being able to travel without an RC when all you're really looking to do is put the bird in the air and position it for a selfie still or video. The mini is a "travel drone" after all. Smart Capture and phone only control is the only reason I won't get rid of my Mavic Air (original). Eliminating those options from the portable drones was a big mistake in my view.

WiFi/BT have only been used for media transfer in the last few models, so probably not.
Do you happen to know if the Wifi and BT spec was included in prior versions of the Mini spec sheet? I had an original Mini and I don't remember that being in the published specs for marketing purposes.

Don't remember, but since the current info is leaks it might not end up in the published sheet either...

All DJI drones broadcast and receive on the WIFI frequencies and have from the very beginning. There have been several efforts to encode control and image information within the WIFI frequency band being used like Occusync to reduce interference from other WIFI sources nearby.

In addition to these proprietary encodings, DJI has developed their own language for communicating with the drone In the drone type specific API. Without both of these technologies in place, no WIFI transmitter or receiver will be able to transmit or receive meaningful drone information.

I believe both skydio as well as anafi have that ability. It would certainly be cool, but range is extremely limited

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143