DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3

CJG

Reactions
Good afternoon from the UK,

I had just an email arrive from DJI advertising the Mini 3.

Looking at the DJI store, this seems to be something different from the Mini 3 Pro (a Mini 3 "Classic"???)

Can anyone quickly tell me what the differences are between the 3 and the 3 Pro?

Cheers!

CG

Reactions: CJG

smaller camera sensor and less sensors
I found the comparison myself in the end: I was looking in the wrong place!

If you want it to be quick, then: Price and features. Mini 3 is cheaper and had fewer features than the Mini 3 Pro. Camera sensor is the same on both.

If you want the full details then these can easily be found on the DJI website.
I found the comparison myself in the end: I was looking in the wrong place! I think the sensor isn't as good on the 3: 12 v 48

Reactions: scro
I found the comparison myself in the end: I was looking in the wrong place! I think the sensor isn't as good on the 3: 12 v 48
It'll be the same hardware, just the 48mpx option has been removed in software on the 3 (non pro) to give some differentiation between the 2 models. (similarly the old Mini 1 and Mini 2 had the same hardware, but only the mini 2 gave RAW output and 4k video.)

The sensor is a quad-bayer sensor so more complex de-mosaicing is required to get a useable 48mpx output. Some people argue it's not a "true" 48mpx sensor, others do. The reality is 48mpx mode gives marginally more detail than 12mpx mode, but at the expense of overall image quality (ie it's not twice as good), while also introducing more artefacts (eg purple fringing on high contrast areas similar to, but not exactly the same as chromatic abberation)

its an entry level drone with older technology (occusync 2 )and lack of OA for those who just want a basic model at a more affordable price
it has similar flight characteristics to the Mini3 pro ,as far as control is concerned ,but lacks a lot of the auto flight modes of the pro,
and of course a lesser camera to some extent
and of course as with all things DJI, the timing of the release just before Christmas ,is another great marketing stroke of genius

Some other differences:
  • 2 antennas (vs. 4 on the Mini 3 Pro)
  • 3.5 m/s descent speed (vs. 5 m/s on the Mini 3 Pro)
  • +4 minutes of flight time
  • GPS + GLONASS + Galileo (vs. GPS + Galileo + BeiDou on the Mini 3 Pro)
  • 100 Mbps max video bitrate (vs. 150 Mbps on the Mini 3 Pro)
  • 720p/30fps live view quality (vs. 1080p/30fps on the Mini 3 Pro)
  • 10 km transmission distance (vs. 12 km on the Mini 3 Pro)

some more (mini 3 vs Mini 3 Pro):
  • Max ISO 3200 vs 6400
  • 3 frame bracketing vs 3 or 5 frame
  • 4k 30fps vs 4K 60fps
  • MP4 (H.264) vs MP4/MOV (H.264 / H.265)
  • Normal colour vs normal/D-cinelike
  • No asteroid quickshot vs Asteroid.
The main physical difference seems to be the mini3 has lost the fwd/rear obstacle avoidance sensors and 2 of 4 antennas that the Mini3P has. The bulk of the other differences are software based features that have been removed from the Mini3P.

It'll be the same hardware, just the 48mpx option has been removed in software on the 3 (non pro) to give some differentiation between the 2 models. (similarly the old Mini 1 and Mini 2 had the same hardware, but only the mini 2 gave RAW output and 4k video.)

The sensor is a quad-bayer sensor so more complex de-mosaicing is required to get a useable 48mpx output. Some people argue it's not a "true" 48mpx sensor, others do. The reality is 48mpx mode gives marginally more detail than 12mpx mode, but at the expense of overall image quality (ie it's not twice as good), while also introducing more artefacts (eg purple fringing on high contrast areas similar to, but not exactly the same as chromatic abberation)
Thanks for such useful information @scro

some more (mini 3 vs Mini 3 Pro):
  • Max ISO 3200 vs 6400
  • 3 frame bracketing vs 3 or 5 frame
  • 4k 30fps vs 4K 60fps
  • MP4 (H.264) vs MP4/MOV (H.264 / H.265)
  • Normal colour vs normal/D-cinelike
  • No asteroid quickshot vs Asteroid.
The main physical difference seems to be the mini3 has lost the fwd/rear obstacle avoidance sensors and 2 of 4 antennas that the Mini3P has. The bulk of the other differences are software based features that have been removed from the Mini3P.
Thanks for this @scro

its an entry level drone with older technology (occusync 2 )and lack of OA for those who just want a basic model at a more affordable price
it has similar flight characteristics to the Mini3 pro ,as far as control is concerned ,but lacks a lot of the auto flight modes of the pro,
and of course a lesser camera to some extent
and of course as with all things DJI, the timing of the release just before Christmas ,is another great marketing stroke of genius
Thanks for getting back to me @old man mavic

Reactions: old man mavic
Well this just messes up my decision making process even more. I've been agonizing (read procrastinating) as to whether to get the Mini TWO or the Mini 3 Pro since it came out. Mainly because I was wondering if I could justjfy the massively increased cost between the two (some of us just enjoy the FLYING aspect of these ... as opposed to all the camera stuff) but the obstacle avoidance of the PRO had me leaning towards it. Now that this is out there's no Obstacle avoidance but the price is right! ;) Can't wait to hear about its flying capabilities ESPECIALLY to see if it has the same transmission issues like the PRO had. (and STILL has for some folks) The question is ... if we take out the camera and Obstacle avoidance out of the equation, is THIS 3 better than the MM TWO? Ahhhh, decisions, decisions!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djiNonMini