DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 5 leaks

Keep the 5 lens version if it works for you ? That’s fine. What happens when that 5 lens version doesn’t have support any more ? Answer, you “have to” get the 6 lens. How convenient.

Only when something goes wrong and you need support. I have a few Android phones around that work fine, but are no longer supported.

End of support is nothing novel, or sinister. It's an ordinary and necessary business practice that is necessitated by the cost/benefit demands of the public.

MS-DOS is no longer supported by Microsoft, because no one's willing to pay what it costs. Despite the fact there are some ancient PCs out there still running it, with Lotus 123 in use.

Yeah, the Mini 4 Pro has taken features to the max for me, with 360 OA, although I rarely depend on it, just for the occasional use of automated features like quick/master shots and Focustrack. On-board waypoints, and a few other things from the bigger Air and Mavic cousins, I can't think of anything they might add/change in a 5 that would get me to pull the trigger, save one...

A significantly better camera.

I have a M3P and the 360OA is the only thing on the 4 pro that would entice me to upgrade - like you I don't depend on it, but it can be a nice backup in some cases. While I've not delved into waypoints, those do intrigue me and I'd like to explore them someday. the 3 has SDK Support so I could use Litchi if I wanted to - the 4 (last I knew) still didn't have SDK support though.

I'm no professional photographer but the camera on the 3P is pretty darn good.... And the 4 is a bit better - It would have to be something pretty wild to get me to upgrade for the camera. Maybe the dual camera with a real telephoto lens....

I have a M3P and the 360OA is the only thing on the 4 pro that would entice me to upgrade - like you I don't depend on it, but it can be a nice backup in some cases. While I've not delved into waypoints, those do intrigue me and I'd like to explore them someday. the 3 has SDK Support so I could use Litchi if I wanted to - the 4 (last I knew) still didn't have SDK support though.

Plenty of argument over this... As a pilot that's been flying waypoint missions on Litchi (exceptional app) starting with the P4, I have hundreds of missions.

If WP capabilities become important to you, I wouldn't waste my time with Litchi Pilot on the Mini3P... It's first and foremost Virtual Stick, which in my opinion is useless, and LP is missing a ton of features in Litchi.

Given the choice between Litchi Pilot on the Mini3P and DJI on-board, autonomous wapoints on the Mini 4P, hands down the latter. It's not even a contest.

I'm no professional photographer but the camera on the 3P is pretty darn good.... And the 4 is a bit better - It would have to be something pretty wild to get me to upgrade for the camera. Maybe the dual camera with a real telephoto lens....

Or cram an optical zoom mechanism in there. I'd upgrade for that.

I have so many DJI drones I hope they will take a break and not come out with anything for a few more years. I'm thinking 2030 would be a good round number. I have 15 DJI boxes (why do I keep them??) stacked in my office and I have to wind my way through my drone cases to get to my desk. Enough already, DJI. Give it a rest! :) That is...unless you come up with an SDK for a new .... anything not pro (like the a Mavic 4 Pro or a Mini 5 "Pro") and then...

Plenty of argument over this... As a pilot that's been flying waypoint missions on Litchi (exceptional app) starting with the P4, I have hundreds of missions.

If WP capabilities become important to you, I wouldn't waste my time with Litchi Pilot on the Mini3P... It's first and foremost Virtual Stick, which in my opinion is useless, and LP is missing a ton of features in Litchi.

Given the choice between Litchi Pilot on the Mini3P and DJI on-board, autonomous wapoints on the Mini 4P, hands down the latter. It's not even a contest.

Or cram an optical zoom mechanism in there. I'd upgrade for that.
Don't discount Litchi Pilot and the value of an SDK even if it is only virtual sticks. Virtual sticks perform well in most cases. The problem arises when you want to fly out of signal range - that's when virtual sticks become a problem but the range on most modern drones is so good, it shouldn't be a huge factor. Litchi Pilot may at this time have basic functionality compared to the regular Litchi version but it connects with the hub and can use all of your existing waypoint missions.

I have a Mavic 3 Pro and have tried DJIs implementation of waypoints and find it cumbersome and unintuitive. Litchi Pilot/Litchi is easy to use and seamlessly integrated.

Here is an example of a waypoint mission that was flown with on a Mini 3 Pro with Litchi Pilot (Virtual Sticks). The mission was created then rotated using @DJ Wes Litchi Mission Rotator.

View attachment D3300-1-Edit.jpg

For me to consider a new mini drone, it would have to have significant improvements in the camera (dual lens - wide angle and medium tele) and the future release of an SDK. Right now I don't think there is much more DJI can improve with their mini line. The photo quality from my Mini 3 Pro right now is good enough.

Chris

Reactions: DJ Wes
Don't discount Litchi Pilot and the value of an SDK even if it is only virtual sticks. Virtual sticks perform well in most cases. The problem arises when you want to fly out of signal range

That's simply one of the problems. The other biggie is intermittent signal loss due to foliage, usually trees, and other signal attenuators between drone and RC that make the mission unreliable, even when relatively close.

Like I said, been doing this a long time, and Virtual Stick control has never met my needs. It's subjective, of course.

Every one of my drones are already all-electric. Charging times fall short of that projection, though.

Apologies, assumed the sarcasm was obvious.

I was making a joke about the electrification mania currently under way.

So you don't have the Mavic Pro, wind-up edition?

That's simply one of the problems. The other biggie is intermittent signal loss due to foliage, usually trees, and other signal attenuators between drone and RC that make the mission unreliable, even when relatively close.

Like I said, been doing this a long time, and Virtual Stick control has never met my needs. It's subjective, of course.
If intermittent signal loss due to foliage is causing that much trouble then flying your drone in any other mode is going to be just as troublesome.

FWIW I have never had any intermittent signal loss using Dronelink (Virtual Sticks) or now Litchi Pilot with any recent DJI drone in all kinds of flying environments. The fact that we even have an SDK for the Mini 3 regardless of whether it is virtual sticks only, is a huge plus and allows third party developers to give us choices, something you don’t have without an SDK.

Chris

Apologies, assumed the sarcasm was obvious.

I was making a joke about the electrification mania currently under way.

So you don't have the Mavic Pro, wind-up edition?
Nope, I replaced all the rubber bands with AAs last year. The gerbils on the treadmill are not so easy to discard, but as soon as the micro-transmission bearings go, they're cat food.

If intermittent signal loss due to foliage is causing that much trouble then flying your drone in any other mode is going to be just as troublesome.

Maybe you misunderstand uploaded waypoints executed autonomously by the drone itself? There is an option to have the drone continue on executing the mission on signal loss. The mission executes as expected, with beautiful results, even if there is no connection to the RC for most of it.

Virtual Stick apps lose control of the drone, it stops and hovers, then the lost connection RTH procedure starts within 3 seconds.

And that's the whole point behind autonomous waypoint functionality, and the main reason for my opinion that it's far superior to Virtual Stick operation.

Nope, I replaced all the rubber bands with AAs last year. The gerbils on the treadmill are not so easy to discard, but as soon as the micro-transmission bearings go, they're cat food.

If I understand correctly, you have an original Mavic Pro Gerbil Edition, but will be discarding all the power units (re-purposed is perhaps more accurate).

I've been searching far and wide for one for some time. I have some new Gerbils, kept in storage at 50% their normal daily sunflower seed consumption, and I'm fascinated with the drive mechanism on the GE.

I've got a Mavic Pro Flintstones Edition in excellent condition, you know, the one with the granite stone props and would be willing to trade. Say the word.

Reactions: MS Coast
Maybe you misunderstand uploaded waypoints executed autonomously by the drone itself? There is an option to have the drone continue on executing the mission on signal loss. The mission executes as expected, with beautiful results, even if there is no connection to the RC for most of it.

Virtual Stick apps lose control of the drone, it stops and hovers, then the lost connection RTH procedure starts within 3 seconds.

And that's the whole point behind autonomous waypoint functionality, and the main reason for my opinion that it's far superior to Virtual Stick operation.
No, no misunderstanding. I understand the difference between virtual sticks and onboard waypoints.

If you prefer DJIs implementation of waypoints on your Mini 4 that is fine. I much prefer Litchi’s and Dronelink’s implementation because of the ability to plan missions on my computer which for me far outweighs the remote chance I will lose signal.

Going forward I feel it is unlikely DJI will release an SDK for the Mini 4 or any new Mini 5 seeing that they have their own implementation.

Chris

If you prefer DJIs implementation of waypoints on your Mini 4 that is fine. I much prefer Litchi’s and Dronelink’s implementation because of the ability to plan missions on my computer which for me far outweighs the remote chance I will lose signal.

Me too. I'm a major Litchi fan. Unless it doesn't work, which it doesn't any more for a lot of the types of missions I used it for with my M2P (and MP, Mavic Air, P4). And where did you get the idea I preferred DJI's implementation? I prefer DJI's execution of waypoint missions.

The design, features, and convenience are meaningless if it can't fly the mission.

Honestly, I'm really not getting why you're arguing the point. I understand (and have no problem with) autonomous execution being of no value to you. If my needs were like that, I wouldn't care either. Autonomous execution is critical to some of my missions, so it's the deciding factor. Same for many other pilots. Do you understand that?

Going forward I feel it is unlikely DJI will release an SDK for the Mini 4 or any new Mini 5 seeing that they have their own implementation.

Given how this has all shaken out with the Mavic 3 and Air families, I'm very pessimistic. I'd love to be wrong.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
56cbr600rr