DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

mini battery

Erickmwc

Reactions
Hello, so I just got my first drone a few days ago, its the Mini 2 and I'm really liking it. I got the standart version, not the flymore combo, so I only have one battery, but I'm looking foward to get at least another one.

Through this forum and internet, I found out that the original Mini batteries work on this one, so I'm thinking in buying a used Mini battery to use on the Mini 2 (here the price difference is quite big between used and new, even if with low cycles usage, and still cannot find Mini 2 used batteries for sale, since its quite recent)
My question is, can anyhow the Mini 2 get damage or anything like that if I use the Mini 1 battery? I understand that it may change the flight time a bit, but with the voltage power being different, is it safe to do it? The last thing I want to do is damage the drone just to save a few bucks.
Also, when buying used batteries, the cycles are the only thing to keep an eye on or should I look for something else?

Thanks a lot in advance!!!

Look up others' experience with this in this forum. There are many discussions about it already. I personally would not buy a used battery nor the Mini 1 batteries for this Mini 2 drone, not at all. It is not the designated battery for the drone. Specs are different. Power may be affected in wind. Just use what is made for it, designed for it. And "used" batteries? Why would anyone sell a good battery and why would anyone trust a bought "used" battery? One great decision you made is your choice of drone. My Mini 2 is now my main drone. I've sold two others, will keep just my Mini 2. It handles any job I have for it here in a ranch setting.

Look up others' experience with this in this forum. There are many discussions about it already. I personally would not buy a used battery nor the Mini 1 batteries for this Mini 2 drone, not at all. It is not the designated battery for the drone. Specs are different. Power may be affected in wind. Just use what is made for it, designed for it. And "used" batteries? Why would anyone sell a good battery and why would anyone trust a bought "used" battery? One great decision you made is your choice of drone. My Mini 2 is now my main drone. I've sold two others, will keep just my Mini 2. It handles any job I have for it here in a ranch setting.
This!

I would do exactly the same.
Considering pros and cons - bottom line the saving you make does not justify the choice

I'm by no means a fan of the idea of a used battery so I mostly agree with what's beenxsaid above. However the Mini2 was specifically designed to be backwards compatible with the MM battery so voltage differences should have been taken in to account by dji. If we are talking a huge, say 50% or more, difference in price between a used MM battery and a new Mini2 then it becomes trickier and you have to decide if you want to take the chance on used. Plenty of people by used kits to save money so what's the difference when just talking batteries? I don't think they're saving 20% buying used then throwing away the batteries and buying $450us worth of new ones. They just lost that savings AND now have a used drone. So, on that note, if you're buying online then really i think the only thing you can check for is the cycle count. In person you can look for swelling or other damage. Have you considered looking at places like Ali express or ebay though? I'm sorry that I don't know what services you have access to or what type of import taxes you have but I bought a $55us Mini2 battery that is OEM, brand new for under $30. At a 50% savings it was worth it.
One last thing to think about though is that a MM battery will put your Mini2 battery over the 250g limit that most countries allow for less restrictive flight rules.

Spend the extra $$ and be safe, why take a chance, you'll be happy you did and you won't have to look back.

I'm by no means a fan of the idea of a used battery so I mostly agree with what's beenxsaid above. However the Mini2 was specifically designed to be backwards compatible with the MM battery so voltage differences should have been taken in to account by dji. If we are talking a huge, say 50% or more, difference in price between a used MM battery and a new Mini2 then it becomes trickier and you have to decide if you want to take the chance on used. Plenty of people by used kits to save money so what's the difference when just talking batteries? I don't think they're saving 20% buying used then throwing away the batteries and buying $450us worth of new ones. They just lost that savings AND now have a used drone. So, on that note, if you're buying online then really i think the only thing you can check for is the cycle count. In person you can look for swelling or other damage. Have you considered looking at places like Ali express or ebay though? I'm sorry that I don't know what services you have access to or what type of import taxes you have but I bought a $55us Mini2 battery that is OEM, brand new for under $30. At a 50% savings it was worth it.
One last thing to think about though is that a MM battery will put your Mini2 battery over the 250g limit that most countries allow for less restrictive flight rules.
Indeed the difference is reasonably. For instance, the MM used battery is like $300 (about U$55), while the M2 new is $550 (about U$100). Since there is no DJI on the country, the prices are pretty much set by the people who import. I've searched on aliexpress and a few other chinese websites to import, but the problem here are the customs, the usually do not allow physical person to import only the batteries.

I'll be making some research to decide, probably save and get a new one. Meanwhile I'll have fun with one battery.

Thanks a lot for the tips

Indeed the difference is reasonably. For instance, the MM used battery is like $300 (about U$55), while the M2 new is $550 (about U$100). Since there is no DJI on the country, the prices are pretty much set by the people who import. I've searched on aliexpress and a few other chinese websites to import, but the problem here are the customs, the usually do not allow physical person to import only the batteries.

I'll be making some research to decide, probably save and get a new one. Meanwhile I'll have fun with one battery.

Thanks a lot for the tips
This may be a stupid question but what is the law for receiving something like a liPo battery as a gift from a friend or family member from outside the country?

This may be a stupid question but what is the law for receiving something like a liPo battery as a gift from a friend or family member from outside the country?
Not a stupid question. Probably the battery would return to the sender. What happens sometimes, from what I've searched, is that depending on the post service, the battery could be delivered, but its a risk.

Not a stupid question. Probably the battery would return to the sender. What happens sometimes, from what I've searched, is that depending on the post service, the battery could be delivered, but its a risk.
I tried doing some research on my end to figure out if it was possible/ legal but couldn't get anything solid. A lot about how to ship them, not anything on whether I could send or if you would be able to recieve without paying some import tax. Being able to get you a new Mini2 battery at or at least near the cost of a US one instead of what you're currently being charged for a used MM one would have been optimal.

After reading your dilemma on prices, it’s no wonder you would think “used”.
Maybe I missed it but, what country are you in?

I tried doing some research on my end to figure out if it was possible/ legal but couldn't get anything solid. A lot about how to ship them, not anything on whether I could send or if you would be able to recieve without paying some import tax. Being able to get you a new Mini2 battery at or at least near the cost of a US one instead of what you're currently being charged for a used MM one would have been optimal.

To say the truth the law are kinda shady about it. What happened is that the ANAC ("Civil Aviation National Agency"), somewhere in 2019 or so, 'said' that, for safety reasons, it wouldn't be allowed to send liPo stuff. In reality I don't know how its working that, since I never really imported anything like that, but I believe its quite complicated and may give some headache. Besides the shipping delivery fee, like you said there may be addicional taxes on customs, so I'm not sure it's worth it. But thanks a lot for the concern!!!!

After reading your dilemma on prices, it’s no wonder you would think “used”.
Maybe I missed it but, what country are you in?
I'm in Brazil.

Yep, the difference is reasonable. Another thing that made me consider that is a lot of those 'used' batteries are from people who bought the drone, bought addicional batteries (or fly combo) and after a month or two got fed up with the drone and ended up selling it

Can a manufacture date be determined on an MM battery? Can you check the cycle count on MM batteries? Thank you.

Can a manufacture date be determined on an MM battery? Can you check the cycle count on MM batteries? Thank you.
In the Fly app under Safety if you scroll down to the bottom it will give you the option to look at Battery info including charge cycles, manufacture date and serial number as well as temp, voltage and whether or not the 2 cells are balanced.

Not recommending any course of action, just adding my experience... I've used the mini 1 batteries in my mini 2 many times, they work very well, you really can't notice any difference.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yannick 63