DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini cheaper for Canada than US

in the UK the flymore combo is £459 from DJI store and £35 for care refresh

Well, Tariffs DJI is paying them for us right??? (Grin) Well you know it’s bad when Canada pays less than we do because I think the Canadian Dollar is worth about .75 on the Dollar? Maybe I’m wrong on that?

Reactions: JimCanada
Exchange rate. As of today, $349 US is $461 cdn and $449 US is $594 cdn. Almost exactly what the retail prices are up here (I'm in Canada). It varies by a buck or two as the exchange rate varies. If you're in Canada and order directly from the Dji store you'll pay the same as you would buying from a local retailer after exchange is added.

Exchange rate. As of today, $349 US is $461 cdn and $449 US is $594 cdn. Almost exactly what the retail prices are up here (I'm in Canada). It varies by a buck or two as the exchange rate varies. If you're in Canada and order directly from the Dji store you'll pay the same as you would buying from a local retailer after exchange is added.

we pay less they pay 499$ USD for fly more which is 60$ more

For at list 10 years (before 2008 we had similar situation) we always use to pay more for almost eveything, I think CAD economy is slowly tanking (no matter what you see in the news) and people have less money more debt, so prices are adjusted accordingly. On average we make less in CAD. I just got Garmin watch 200$ less than in the USA and in the past, I always did all my shopping in US. I think once big players see consumers do not spend that much they drop the price to lure them in. I guess for the time being era of trips to Buffalo for shopping is over, now Buffalo will come to Ontario ;)

that's 800 CAD expensive!

You misunderstand. Most US websites will show the price for Canadians in Canadian dollars but for some reason, Dji chooses to show what the Canadian price will be in US dollars. I paid $599 for the Flymore combo. The basic package is retailing for $459 up here. If I had ordered directly from Dji, I would have paid close to the same, give or take a few bucks depending on the exchange rate for that day.

You misunderstand. Most US websites will show the price for Canadians in Canadian dollars but for some reason, Dji chooses to show what the Canadian price will be in US dollars. I paid $599 for the Flymore combo. The basic package is retailing for $459 up here. If I had ordered directly from Dji, I would have paid close to the same, give or take a few bucks depending on the exchange rate for that day.

I was responding to 459 GBP which is 800CAD
When I look at US prices it is 499USD and for Canadians is 449$ USD = 599CAD

Did you pay 599CAD or USD? I believe 599CAD which is 449USD, in US fly more is 499USD

I was responding to 459 GBP which is 800CAD
When I look at US prices it is 499USD and for Canadians is 449$ USD = 599CAD

Did you pay 599CAD or USD? I believe 599CAD which is 449USD, in US fly more is 499USD

I paid $599 cdn in Canada for the Flymore combo.

It's a bit confusing how they display prices for different countries. I checked some prices from the country drop down list on that Dji webpage then went to a currency convertor website and in general, they've set the prices so that in that countries currency, you'll pay roughly $60 more than you would in the US for the basic and $100 to $150 more for the Flymore combo.

IE, it's $499 in the US for the Flymore combo and $599 in Canada.

And - they've priced the Flymore combo at $459 GBP which converts as of today to $604.95 US.

Last edited:
I just googled the conversion. $599CAD is $459USD.
Here in the USA, combo is $499, a difference of $41USD in Canada's favor. That's probably because of the tariff.

So if I lived in Niagara, I could cross the border and get it cheaper, if I managed to get it through customs, and if local stores had it in stock in the first place.

Reactions: blakamin
I just googled the conversion. $599CAD is $459USD.
Here in the USA, combo is $499, a difference of $41USD in Canada's favor. That's probably because of the tariff.

So if I lived in Niagara, I could cross the border and get it cheaper, if I managed to get it through customs, and if local stores had it in stock in the first place.

First of all, if you try to pay in Canadian dollars to a US store, if they take it at all, you're going to be charged the exchange rate. It has nothing to do with tariffs.

Canadian money is worth less than US money on the world markets. so say you go to a bank up here to exchange Canadian money for US money before going down, it's going to cost you $1.32 Cdn for every $1 US. A US store is not going to sell you a Flymore combo for $449 just because you're a Canadian. They're going to charge the US price, which is $499 which in turn means it will actually cost you $660 Cdn.

And it doesn't matter if you use a credit or debit card. The exchange is added to the purchase by the credit card company or bank.

And we haven't even talked about customs fees yet.

Let's reverse this. For $599CAD, I can get a Mini combo in Canada.
According to Google, If I take that $599CAD to the bank and exchange it, I'd get $459USD. That's not enough to buy the combo in the US as you would be $40 short since the USD price here in the US is $499, not $459.

And I did say as long as I could get through customs with my purchase, meaning not being hit with a customs fee. I'm also excluding taxes in the comparison. We're only discussing retail price.

So why is it $40USD cheaper in Canada than US? Because of the tariff war between US and China. Canada isn't participating in the war.

First of all, if you try to pay in Canadian dollars to a US store, if they take it at all, you're going to be charged the exchange rate. It has nothing to do with tariffs.

Canadian money is worth less than US money on the world markets. so say you go to a bank up here to exchange Canadian money for US money before going down, it's going to cost you $1.32 Cdn for every $1 US. A US store is not going to sell you a Flymore combo for $449 just because you're a Canadian. They're going to charge the US price, which is $499 which in turn means it will actually cost you $660 Cdn.

And it doesn't matter if you use a credit or debit card. The exchange is added to the purchase by the credit card company or bank.

And we haven't even talked about customs fees yet.
The more I look at your argument, the more I see yourself proving yourself wrong. You just haven't connected the dots full circle yet.

CAD price for CAD price, USD price for USD price, the Mini is cheaper in Canada for about $40USD, $50.74CAD. The question is, why is it cheaper in Canada? I'll tell you: the US tariffs against China.

Anyway, I wasn't looking to get political if anyone thinks I was. I was only trying to point out that there is a purchase value difference for the Mini between CA and US, and what the reason was.

Anyway, I wasn't looking to get political if anyone thinks I was. I was only trying to point out that there is a purchase value difference for the Mini between CA and US, and what the reason was.

In the past, we use to order stuff from US sites, but when you select shipping to Canada hipping was not available and you could not buy, you would have to go to CAD site that had higher prices, so we use dropbox address CBI USA | US Mailbox Rental & US Shipping Address Services for small fee and ship it to US, then drive it across the border pick it up, unpack and make sure original packaging is all out and cross the border.
I'm not sure if that's tariff-related, if that's the case why in the past we had paid more, we never had any tariffs.

It feels good to pay less for a change :)

Cost of living between the two countries probably what was making the price difference in our favor at the time.

Even here in the US, prices for items not priced globally can vary from location to location. I used to live in NY and when I moved to FL, I was amazed on items being cheaper here. But then we're not paid as much here as in NY. I had an income drop by a third in my move.
Exchange rate is supposed to compensate for that, but usually not enough.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair