DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini Lands In Water

BushWacker

Reactions
Hit a branch and landed right in the freezing cold river. Although it was quite cold to go in and get it, all seems good now. I made this video (yes the card & even the battery work) after retrieving it. I shook it off and bungee'd it to my mountain bike and rode for several miles drying it off to get back home and the Mini, Battery & SD Card all work fine. I pulled the battery and card out immediately and shook all the water I could out of it. I did lose the video footage file that was recording when it went underwater, I did get the cache footage on my cell phone though. Boy, I feel lucky, it was underwater for about 5-10 minutes! Where I live the snow runoff rivers are Very clean water which is what I think saved my dronie's life...

Some great footage there, the mini has some good processing capability, or did you do much other editing afterward ?
Shame the dunking wasn't captured, always make interesting footage.

Ummm, drone submerged, and got totally wet through ?
Be very careful, usually batteries are one thing that are pretty easily damaged from this, most short out and are kaput straight away.
When turned on anytime, they can smoke and catch fire pretty readily.
If it was more of a splash you might be ok.

The drone is another thing, try and get the body opened up and some isopropyl alcohol liberally into everything, this displaces the water and evaporates totally.
Or if you're happier just opening it up and leaving in a warm place for a week or so, over a fire mantle, or a sun soaked kitchen window sill.

I could never trust mine again if it had a total immersion, the electronics are so finicky, corrosion could become a problem in 3, 6, 12 months, who knows.
At least it wasn't salt water !!

Reactions: JAW and Prismatic
I didn't want to go first, but yeah, what @MAvic_South_Oz said: "I could never trust mine again if it had a total immersion"... Water is always water, clean creak water doesn't mean it's less destructive for electronic components then less clean creak or river water, they don't care if water is drinkable or not. You were just able to turn it on again because it wasn't salt water, if it was, it would be game over much faster. I hope we don't see one of the next posts named "Mavic Mini failed mid flight" or something along that line... I wish you all the best.

Reactions: JAW
Hit a branch and landed right in the freezing cold river. Although it was quite cold to go in and get it, all seems good now. I made this video (yes the card & even the battery work) after retrieving it. I shook it off and bungee'd it to my mountain bike and rode for several miles drying it off to get back home and the Mini, Battery & SD Card all work fine. I pulled the battery and card out immediately and shook all the water I could out of it. I did lose the video footage file that was recording when it went underwater, I did get the cache footage on my cell phone though. Boy, I feel lucky, it was underwater for about 5-10 minutes! Where I live the snow runoff rivers are Very clean water which is what I think saved my dronie's life...

That is some great footage. Gotta love those waterfalls!

Reactions: JAW
The very clean water is what saved you. Pure water (I.e. distilled) is non conductive and non corrosive.

The editing I did was mostly cuts and splices, the first 2 clips in the beginning, was done with my cell phone while riding my bicycle. Yes, the drone sat underwater for at least 5 minutes before I could get to it. It's been 3 days now, I will take it out again today and see if it's still working. So far I can't tell that there is anything wrong but I haven't tested it thoroughly. I do have a Care Package with 1 return left as I have crashed it before and broke 2 arms, they replaced it with a new one. If I don't have any problems I will not send it in and wait for another more serious problem.

I think what might have saved it is that I hooked it to my bike and rode home in the dry wind and then put it in a window sill until the sun went down and then but it by the fireplace and kept it warm for several hours to get it as dry as I could. The battery also is working flawlessly so far, I used it until about 25% dead and recharged it and it shows no signs of any defect so I will continue to use it. My only fear is it malfunctions and I can't find it to send it in for the Care repairs.

Unfortunately, the Cache'd footage didn't show the submersion, it appears the camera stopped at the impact of the branches about the time the drone went upside down and before it fell the 20 feet before impact in the water. I do appreciate any comments whether optimistic or pessimistic, I'm happy it's working for now and if not I will send it back in with my last refresh option...

Reactions: Capt KO
I do have a Care Package with 1 return left as I have crashed it before and broke 2 arms, they replaced it with a new one. If I don't have any problems I will not send it in and wait for another more serious problem.

My only fear is it malfunctions and I can't find it to send it in for the Care repairs.

Good plan.
With Care Refresh, if it stuffs up on a month or two, and still within 2nd year, you should be able to send it in to them, stating it went into water.
Then you should get a replacement.

** If you are in your first year still, BE SURE to take out the optional Refresh again for the 2nd year !! **
One more small annual fee for the peace of mind.

Good luck with it, if it is ok, then you were very lucky, I just wouldn't be totally happy with the uncertainty over time.

Thanks for the comments, I didn't realize there was a "time limit" on the Refresh Package.

Uncertainty in my life is something I've gotten very used to...

Thanks for the comments, I didn't realize there was a "time limit" on the Refresh Package.

Uncertainty in my life is something I've gotten very used to...

Yeah, good to have though as a new pilot, once you know your drone, its (and your) limitations etc, the chances of losing it greatly reduce.

Care Refresh is for a year, but you can pay another premium for a 2nd year, if you have nil or one crash in that time.
You can only have 2 uses total, so if 2 are used in first year, the 2nd year is not available.

Reactions: Thomas B

Lucky man... nice video,stunning landscapes, looks as if the river is floating backwards.... or did you reverse in editing?......happy flying

Yeah, good to have though as a new pilot, once you know your drone, its (and your) limitations etc, the chances of losing it greatly reduce.

Care Refresh is for a year, but you can pay another premium for a 2nd year, if you have nil or one crash in that time.
You can only have 2 uses total, so if 2 are used in first year, the 2nd year is not available.
No, you can have 3. Just be sure you purchase Plus before you use up your 2 refreshes.
Also Plus extends the warranty to when the Plus ends. Some components are only warrantied for 6mo so I recommend getting Plus within 6 months of AC purchase.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mandeh