DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini SE and Prop Guards

Reactions
New pilot. Still learning the best practices for this activity.

I got a set of prop guards for my Mini SE, and the instructions say not to fly the drone with the guards attached except in windless and low-altitude or indoor environments.

Why is that? What's the issue with using prop guards outdoors at altitude?

They increase the "sail area" of the drone and its susceptibility to wind, their weight also probably triggers payload mode which might limit heights and speed.
See page 32 of the manual DJI Mini SE - Downloads - DJI
Outside they would be considered a liability for normal flights.

Note, it would perhaps be better to use the word "height" rather than "altitude".
"Altitude" tends to refer to height above sea level. Whilst it is applicable to drones in that they have a maximum altitude above which the air is too thin for their props to work properly, height is the normal word used and, as displayed of the screen device and used in the App, refers to the drones height above, +, or below, -, the take off point.
One other height you need to consider is the height above the ground directly beneath the drone and has the abbreviation "AGL", there are generally legal maximums for AGL.

Last edited:
I got a set of prop guards for my Mini SE
Just so you know, the guards put your Little Bird over the 250 Gram weight limit and that triggers and FAA registration requirement, but let's be honest, whose checking? But you should know!!!

I have been flying my mini 2 for about 2 yrs. now. I have yet to find the need for prop guards or landing gear. Maybe the guards if i was flying indoors. I’ll be interested to hear what your experience is. Have fun!
I find the landing gear helpful when coming down and missing my landing pad or RTH and the pad is missed.

I have been flying my mini 2 for about 2 yrs. now. I have yet to find the need for prop guards or landing gear. Maybe the guards if i was flying indoors. I’ll be interested to hear what your experience is. Have fun!

I’ve been flying about two weeks. A friend of mine who flies suggested landing gear, so I spent $8 to get a pair of skids. Not much to say yet.

Reactions: LoudThunder
They increase the "sail area" of the drone and its susceptibility to wind, their weight also probably triggers payload mode which might limit heights and speed.
See page 32 of the manual DJI Mini SE - Downloads - DJI
Outside they would be considered a liability for normal flights.

Note, it would perhaps be better to use the word "height" rather than "altitude".
"Altitude" tends to refer to height above sea level. Whilst it is applicable to drones in that they have a maximum altitude above which the air is too thin for their props to work properly, height is the normal word used and, as displayed of the screen device and used in the App, refers to the drones height above, +, or below, -, the take off point.
One other height you need to consider is the height above the ground directly beneath the drone and has the abbreviation "AGL", there are generally legal maximums for AGL.
great answer,[. learning every day TY

Reactions: LoudThunder
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike