DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini won't land in RTH

Fogo

Reactions
Hello fellow droners. I am very new to this and was wondering if you could shed some light on this situation? I have had my mini for about a month now and from day one when it is in the RTH it does everything wonderfully until the last 1.5 meters ( take off and landing are from a cleared off side walk). The the app tells me it can't land because of something to do with the ground ( can't remember the exact wording the program uses). So I have to finish the landing manually. Now I do live in Canada and there is still snow on the ground and I am not sure if this is affecting the RTH or not? Any ideas?

Thanks

The downward sensors have two components, one for height (I think it's about 18") and the other visually checks the landing area. It needs to see some definition/contrast or you get the warning. Snow covering doesn't have enough detail so then it hesitates and you get the warning. You can override if you want to continue to land by holding down the throttle stick and it will say "landing" and descent the last few feet. Continue down on the stick as usual to shut off the motors.

In snowy conditions I usually put my hand out which it can detect and will pause or rise a few inches when it sees it, then I keep my hand still and pull the stick down. It will gently land and I keep my hand still and the stick down until the motors cut off. If you lower your hand before shut off, the accelerometers will sense the movement and the motors will speed up to hover.

Reactions: old man mavic
good info in post #2 you would be better off using a landing pad if you don't fancy hand catching you MM it hovers to protect the drone from landing in say water or in your case snow,it is very low to the ground and a landing pad will stop it getting damaged all the mavics have this feature

Reactions: WooZie
Hello fellow droners. I am very new to this and was wondering if you could shed some light on this situation? I have had my mini for about a month now and from day one when it is in the RTH it does everything wonderfully until the last 1.5 meters ( take off and landing are from a cleared off side walk).

In addition to my reply about why it wouldn't land when you use RTH is to suggest as you say you are fairly new to the mini to not always rely on using RTH to get back or to land. Take the opportunity when out to return home manually, you'll learn how to control it when coming towards you the control directions are reversed and also by navigating home by the map you'll understand, learn and gain experience if any problems occur down the road.

Personally I find it's fun flying and learning rather than just pushing RTH and having a cup of coffee waiting for it appear out of the blue and land at my feet. Though occasionally I have pushed RTH to confirm the right heading back and then cancelled it and gone back to manual to wander and explore a bit on the way home.

Here's a gem... you can use the sticks to increase/decrease your speed and/or altitude plus yaw the AC as it auto returns in a direct line. Lot's of fun!!

Reactions: Mrmund and GregE
If the Mavic believes the ground below it is unsuitable to land on, it will complain. I believe you can force it though, either through a prompt that offers to land anyway, or hold throttle stick down.

Reactions: m80116
Thanks for all the replies, I have become pretty good, as some of you have suggested, at bringing in the mini on my own. Still lots to learn.

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78