DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini2 descending and spinning for no reason

yozhfyfyfy

Reactions
Hi y'all. I recently had an issue with my Mini-2 which I can't explain or understand, hope maybe you can help me.

I was flying Mini-2 for about two years, never had any issues. Till yesterday.
Taking off was fine, I did a bit of flying around the city, then pulled drone back to me and started the descend.

At some point Mini started rotating around like if I'm holding left stick all the way to the right or left, which I wasn't doing.
I've tried to stop the rotation by moving the left stick, no luck. Then I noticed that the drone is also descending really quick.
I pushed left stick up - no luck, nothing changed, descend not even slowed a bit. I tried to maneuver using right stick - it was working, but as drone was rotating on it's own, I wasn't able to actually point it to any direction
At the end, Mini landed on it's own, on the ground near me - that's lucky, because I had no control over that landing at all
I checked the logs - GPS was fine, battery was fine, remote signal was fine, no errors, no compass interference or whatever
So my question - what could have happened and how do I avoid it from happening in the future?
Here's screen capture of the flight log -
Log TXT file is attached as well

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2023-12-14_[12-51-57].zip
    783.3 KB · Views: 7
Without looking at the flight log (which I don't see attached), my first guess is part of a propeller broke during flight which caused the odd behavior.

Nope, no damage to anything. All props are good
Trying to attach the log again, seems like it's not working for some reason

UPD: attached as zip

The log on PH = DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Replay the log on phantom help and it shows you commanding full anticlockwise yaw rate during the descent. I.e you moved the left stick fully down and out.
If you did not do that then I suggest you calibrate the controller and watch carefully what the animation shows you whilst you are doing the calibration.

Last edited:
Reactions: RodPad
what could have happened and how do I avoid it from happening in the future?
Your flight log shows the left stick was in the far bottom corner. That was causing the drone to yaw (spin) while descending.

1702656417479.png

Your flight log shows the left stick was in the far bottom corner. That was causing the drone to yaw (spin) while descending.

Shoot, I totally forgot to check the sticks positions in the log, many thanks for the hint!
But... What could be the reason here? Is it a faulty stick?

What could be the reason here? Is it a faulty stick?
Likely one of these:
  • The stick was really in that position
  • Your remote controller needs recalibrated
  • Some piece of hardware is failing on your remote controller

Min 2 motors are very open and prone to debris , dirt , dust, sand , grit even tiny stones have showed up on many posts , so much so that we included Motors Covers with our Mini 2 wetsuits . This can also cause a drone to spin and start to land.

DJI saw the issues, and made some improvents in there future drones where they were no longer needed.
CleanShot 2023-12-16 at 14.11.52@2x.jpgCleanShot 2023-12-16 at 14.34.27@2x.jpg

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Last edited:
Min 2 motors are very open and prone to debris , dirt , dust, sand , grit even tiny stones have showed up on many posts
Can you provide some additional context there? How would this have caused the issue mentioned above?

Were not saying its the deifnitvie answer , its just spinning drones and blocked motors we have on video, so
if its on video and we have it , that conclusive evidence of that behavior.

I myself think the drone started spinning and he panicked with the stick pushing them into any corner hoping he could to stop it, but thats just my take on it.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Last edited:
...I myself think the drone started spinning and he panicked with the stick pushing them into any corner hoping he could to stop it, but thats just my take on it.
But the log doesn't show any of what you think... the left stick gives a rather abrupt command of full throttle down & full negative rudder, & it's just there the log also shows corresponding attitude changes.

The possible reasons for this as already mentioned in post 8
Likely one of these:
  • The stick was really in that position
  • Your remote controller needs recalibrated
  • Some piece of hardware is failing on your remote controller

My take on this... is that you thought of a good opportunity for a sales pitch... but unfortunately that only cause confusion in relation to this exact incident... your product hadn't changed anything for the OP, maybe in another incident with totally different circumstances... but not in this one.

But the log doesn't show any of what you think... the left stick gives a rather abrupt command of full throttle down & full negative rudder, & it's just there the log also shows corresponding attitude changes.
Sure , you might be right, lets hear from the OP, I always try to listen to the OP first and foremost, thats my way.
Others use the Log as Bible but its not always 100%. which leaves room for the OP .

CleanShot 2023-12-16 at 17.13.46@2x.jpg

If he comes back and says your the wizard of sticks , im wrong.

For the Record : Despite the number of flights and DJI Drones I fly in the Rain / Snow i can say I have never had a stick issue or calibration ever go bad on any controller.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.. Land on the Water.

Last edited:
Sure , you might be right, lets hear from the OP, I always try to listen to the OP first and foremost, thats my way.
Others use the Log as Bible but its not always 100%. which leaves room for the OP .

View attachment 171085

If he comes back and says your the wizard of sticks , im wrong.

For the Record : Despite the number of flights and DJI Drones I fly in the Rain / Snow i can say I have never had a stick issue or calibration ever go bad on any controller.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.. Land on the Water.
Have never during all years seen a log content that wasn't true if the data is provided from a fully functional IMU/FC (& nothing indicate that those units wasn't working as they should here)... & I might add, this no matter what the OP says or think's he recalls.

In this case the OP's story in post #1 (the sentence you marked) correlates very well with what's seen in the log... so what kind of further info from the OP are you waiting for?

In your post #9 you imply that the cause could be debris in the motors... or should we see your sales pitch as a general one, not related to this incident?

In your post #11 you talk about blocked motors... from where do you get that info, it's not in the video neither in the log?

He mentioned spinning / decending / rotating despite what was happening with his sticks.
Motor blocked seemed like it should be mentioned to the OP.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your mini 2 in the Rain. Land on the Water.

He mentioned spinning / decending / rotating despite what was happening with his sticks
As @slup mentioned, this is what the OP recalls happened. However, the flight log tells a different story and I've yet to see flight log stick data that was incorrectly recorded.

Now, there could be a few possibilities as to how the stick got into that position. See post #8 above.

He mentioned spinning / decending / rotating despite what was happening with his sticks.
Motor blocked seemed like it should be mentioned to the OP.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your mini 2 in the Rain. Land on the Water.
So despite that the log clearly shows that the drone receives a stick command that correlates exactly to what the OP tells us happened... which also can be confirmed by the recorded drone movement in the log...

1702773411907.png

... and that the OP clearly states that no errors at all was shown (which also correlates to the log)

You disregard the OP's information & speculate about debris & blocked motors... only out from a video showing a rotating drone icon?

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Others use the Log as Bible
The flyer can tell you what they saw or what they think happened.
The recorded flight data will show what actually happened.
They aren't always the same story.
but its not always 100%.
Only in your imagination.
The recorded flight data is very reliable.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas