DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Minimum Altitude Hold

DarR-T

Reactions
Hi guys, I'm new here and already posted in the new member section.
Just got an Air 3S. Awesome machine. Going around the users' manual but its very simplistic.
Is there a minimum altitude (AGL) hold in the settings?
For example, if I want the drone to climb a mountain, I would like to maintain 100m of altitude (AGL) all the way up.

Just got an Air 3S. Awesome machine. Going around the users' manual but its very simplistic.
For example, if I want the drone to climb a mountain, I would like to maintain 100m of altitude (AGL) all the way up.
There is nothing in the drone settings that would permit you to do this so you'll need to do it yourself manually. Since it's impossible for you to measure AGL exactly, your best estimate is all you can reliably count on unless you do some research and scouting of the area beforehand. Not exactly sure of the rules in Canada but I wouldn't worry too much about getting it done precisely.

There is landing protection, which will, if on, try to maintain a minimum height of 50cm but I doubt that that is what you are seeking.
Plus it wouldn't give the drone much time to react to anything that suddenly appears.

Don't the downward looking sensors give some height indication ..... but only as a warning .....

The mountain in question only has a 1500' vertical. It's not near any airports so that's not an issue.
However, the 400' DJI altitude restriction is. How can I get up there without first being at the peak and coming down?

• Haha
Reactions: Wild Drone Pilot
The mountain in question only has a 1500' vertical. It's not near any airports so that's not an issue.
However, the 400' DJI altitude restriction is. How can I get up there without first being at the peak and coming down?
Please describe the "400' DJI altitude restriction" a little more and let us know how exactly you have experienced it.

Funny My DJI MAVIC PRO PLATINUM would do just that.

Like this?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Terrain Follow uses the Mavic Pro’s network of sensors and cameras to keep it at the same height over the uneven or undulating terrain. Set a fixed height above the ground and watch the Mavic Pro adjust its altitude automatically!

Reactions: mavic3usa
Please describe the "400' DJI altitude restriction" a little more and let us know how exactly you have experienced it.
Please disregard the 400' altitude restriction comment. The AIR3S has a altitude maximum of 500 meters.

Reactions: mavic3usa
Like this?

Terrain Follow uses the Mavic Pro’s network of sensors and cameras to keep it at the same height over the uneven or undulating terrain. Set a fixed height above the ground and watch the Mavic Pro adjust its altitude automatically!
Had no idea MP/Phantom had this. Skydio has something similar called the Floor where you set value to something like 10 feet and when the drone flys (automatically) it isn't suppose to descend below 10 feet above whatever is below it. I think it is meant for drone following you in traffic and keeping the drone above the cars for example. How high up and how far you can go on what kind of slope might be the limitation.

Last edited:
The 400' altitude is relative to the ground level directly beneath the drone. Fly up and down the mountain staying within 400' of the ground. Your absolute altitude is no concern as long as you remain within 400 feet of the ground below the drone. You'll have to judge the altitude above ground, as the drone has no capacity to do so.

Reactions: DarR-T
Like this?

Does the air 3 have terrain follow?

You'll have to judge the altitude above ground, as the drone has no capacity to do so.
Wonder if they could implement something in the RC software to compare drones height and position to a topo map to give the offset to give a estimated idea of height above ground. Of course that doesn't help with trees or structures.

Wonder if they could implement something in the RC software to compare drones height and position to a topo map to give the offset to give a estimated idea of height above ground. Of course that doesn't help with trees or structures.
Real AI coming soon one day will do exactly that.

Reactions: Wild Drone Pilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wforakerjr