DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Minimum flight temp.

You're not supposed to fly below freezing according to DJI, but I've done it a lot. Like flying from a boat, or in remote locations, you just need to be extra careful.

I could offer some tips if you like

You're not supposed to fly below freezing according to DJI, but I've done it a lot. Like flying from a boat, or in remote locations, you just need to be extra careful.

Nice winter video. Not much of that in Seminole, FL!

Reactions: RTKD

How high above the town in the closing scene? I'm not questioning an legality - I'm just curious how high to get those expansive views? And I liked the video WINTER!

Reactions: RTKD
How high above the town in the closing scene? I'm not questioning an legality - I'm just curious how high to get those expansive views? And I liked the video WINTER!
Thanks! That shot was at ceiling, but it looks higher because the town rolls down into the valley. Vermont is great like that.

Reactions: ff22
Thanks! That shot was at ceiling, but it looks higher because the town rolls down into the valley. Vermont is great like that.

Ah, Vermont. Skied a few years at Killington eons ago. I recall visiting a town where almost everything was marble - retaining walls, schools, library EVERYTHING. At least I recall it Marble, maybe granite?

At least I recall it Marble, maybe granite?
Could very well be, Vermont has the largest underground marble quarry in the world. The town I was shooting basically owes its existence to a large granite quarry near by. There are a few of the old buildings standing, but mostly just foundations now, and a long abandoned railway which has some of the only original covered bridges in that area. My drone days had just begun when I left Vermont, there's a lot to shoot up there.

could you elaborate on your cold weather flying?

could you elaborate on your cold weather flying?

Personally, I stay above 10 degrees, and I treat the mavic like a living thing in essence. Keeping the batteries warm is the key, once they get cold they drop voltage quickly so I keep them in an inside pocket. Those cheap chemical hand warmers are great too. I also brought the average cell voltage up on the screen at all times. If they're anything but green you want to come down ASAP.

I flew through some pretty heavy snow and wind as well, and for most of my cold flights or flights through snow, I kept the gimbal cover on. This caused units to overheat in the past because that cover blocks a vent in the front, but that's obviously not a problem here. I also put Rain-x on the blades to keep them from icing up. The blades shatter pretty easily when they're freezing as well, I hit a tiny branch and found that out. Having the gimbal cover on saved my drone in this instance

I operated without gloves, and that keeps you linked to the drone. If you're cold, it's cold. Oh and of course you have to hand launch and catch all the time, so it's best to be comfortable with it.

Reactions: ff22 and Oconnb910
I have flown in -20F on commercial construction jobs. Keep your batteries warm inside your jacket or vehicle until your ready to fly. After starting your Mavic, lift off about a foot or two and let it hover for a couple of minutes to warm the battery and Mavic insides before flying. It also lets you check for anything unusual before you proceed. After you land do not put it directly into a hot vehicle or it will cause condensation. Take a plastic garbage bag, put the Mavic in the bag and squeeze as much air as you can and seal it closed, then let it warm up in the bag, there will be minimal moisture in the bag keeping it from condensing in/on the Mavic.

I flew for over 20 minutes each mission on several flights with no problems. But do keep an eye on your battery level and bring it home when it starts to drop.

If there is light "DRY" snow you show not have any problems. However, if there is light fog/mist or any moisture, etc, and the temp is below freezing, you should not fly, but if you do, you need to check your props frequently for icing which can affect their lift ability, and possible cause you to loose a prop(s) should they become brittle and break in flight. DO NOT fly in wet snow or rain, especially in freezing temps.

Get some touch pad gloves, because after a few minutes your finger WILL get cold. If possible and you can maintain VLOS, you could also fly from a stationary vehicle to stay warm.

And just to confirm. This was with the Mavic Pro, not the 2 Pro.
171227 Crane.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: t1m0n3 and RTKD
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming