DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Minimum satellite signals for Mavic Air??

savan.b

Reactions
I just bought my Mavic air 2 days ago and it was showing me 6-8 Satellite signals. Is it safe to fly?
I am from Canada. Why is the Satellite signals are low? I heard people get 15-18 signals.

Also, I am little confused about the WIFI. Do I need Wifi internet to fly the drone or I can do it just with the remote and iphone 8?

EDIT:

There are 2 different return to home options. One is where you fly the drone from and 2nd is where your remote is. Do you need wifi internet for the 2nd option? Lets say i am in a moving car to do a tracking shot, Will it automatically land where my car stops? Where ever my remote is?

Regards,

Last edited:
There is no magic number of satellites. You should wait until at least 4 bars light up on the satellite icon at the top of DJI GO -- like this:

1543343685318.png

And make sure the home point has been marked in the correct location on the map in DJI GO before taking off.

Reactions: Magilla Gorilla
If you are getting the Ready to Go (GPS) then it has enough satellites.

My favorite iOS app is UAV Forecast which aside from wind activity (at different altitudes) will let you know the number of potential satellites at your current position.

You do not need WiFi to fly the Mavic Air. I like to fly with a minimum of 10 Satellites locked. That is currently all that are at least 20 degree's above my horizon in my location.

You can check to see how many area available in your area by visiting this link. WHAT'S UP IN THE SKY? Global Positioning System (GPS) Operational satellites

What do you mean by Locked? Sorry for noobie questions but I am new to Drones and scared to fly. Mine jumps from 6-8 Satellites. I will double check today and get back.

When you turn on your Air, watch Go 4 and see what satellite count turns it from Atti to GPS mode. Then wait until you have at least two more. You need a cushion in case one drops off. My MP switches to GPS at 8 or 9 but I wait until I have 12 before I launch. The number normally increases as you gain height but may drop off as you lower down.

You do not need internet to fly.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
When you turn on your Air, watch Go 4 and see what satellite count turns it from Atti to GPS mode. Then wait until you have at least two more. You need a cushion in case one drops off. My MP switches to GPS at 8 or 9 but I wait until I have 12 before I launch. The number normally increases as you gain height but may drop off as you lower down.

You do not need internet to fly.

Okay i will double check today

You do not need WiFi to fly the Mavic Air. I like to fly with a minimum of 10 Satellites locked. That is currently all that are at least 20 degree's above my horizon in my location.

You can check to see how many area available in your area by visiting this link. WHAT'S UP IN THE SKY? Global Positioning System (GPS) Operational satellites

There are 2 different return to home options. One is where you fly the drone from and 2nd is where your remote is. Do you need wifi internet for the 2nd option? Lets say i am in a moving car to do a tracking shot, Will it automatically land where my car stops, where my remote is?

Not always I would watch a few utubes before you try it saves a fly off because you will be going into quick shots, see how each react. LOS sometimes get blocked. I've watched over 300 vids and still a rookie...baby steps!

The second option relies upon your device having a GPS chipset within it. Devices with Cellular service often have the GPS chipset embedded and can be used for updating ones Home Point on the fly.

First option good luck time to shovel my 100% percipation[emoji849]

Awesome.. Thank you! Which option do you prefer the most?
I leave RTH set at the launch position. If I am walking around while flying I may fly it to where I should be when the battery gets low and reset the homepoint there. I do not have the homepoint set to my location because that would require Go 4 to behave when I need it the most. The launch position is recorded in the Mavic and does not require connection to Go 4 to work.

My iPhone won’t work good enough to have the drone come back to the remote so I only use the locked home point where I launched from

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark