DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Missing technical DJI device definition. (not only device brand)

RFo

Reactions
Gentlemen, using iPAD's in particular is a problem. On the one hand, they overheat quickly with the different effects of black screen, CPU overheating, etc. Depending on the RC settings are such as caching, additional screen recording from the iPad etc., the CPU's quickly run out. So you quickly lose a drone. above all, the trust to lose contact suffers from this. I am surprised that there are no more complaints in this forum. It's no wonder that many pilots attach powerful fans to their iPhones against overheating, for example. The market for such fans is no coincidence. In my opinion, there is too little technical data about iPads and smartphones which guarantees safe flying. The devices proposed by DJI are not logical and partly recommended for outdated devices. With new drone releases, the computing power is becoming more and more demanding. That's my experience. Luckily, I haven't lost a drone despite getting out of iPads, which is only a matter of time because I haven't trusted it for a long time.

It is not a good feeling when a red message on the display indicates a CPU overheating and you no longer know where the drone is on the frozen display. One can only pray that the drone with RTH will come back.

I am an Android user but I've read numerous web postings and seen various YouTube Videos that the IOS devices will run cooler if you turn off the Charge Device in the DJI App and maybe lower the Display Brightness a bit, better to have a slightly darker display than no display…

Which drone, which controller app, and which iPad? I lack experience with the issues you are having.
I’m running the Go4 app on an iPad mini 5, brightness at max, connecting to Wi-Fi signal from my house for maps, not caching video, not charging (not sure I know how), flying an M2P or an MPP with no issues at all in many hundreds of flights. I also used to fly with an iPad mini 4 and iPhone 6s with no issues.

Reactions: Fizzbang
(not sure I know how
You do not have to fly your Drone, you just have to have it ready to fly...

When the DJI App is on, your Device is connected to your Controller (turned ON) and your Drone is On, This option is in the Three Dot Menu (...) top right of screen, Tap on Control, scroll down to PHONE CHARGING, select Enable (ON) or Disable (OFF).

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Hi RFo. Having used a Tripltek8 for a few weeks I don’t notice overheating and a shade isn’t needed in direct sunlight. A pleasant relief from the “i” situation. Don’t get me wrong, Apple screens are fine if not pushed too hard. I just prefer Tripltek. I use an iPhone 7 for backup, but no one else can watch unless I cast it, and it will heat up a bit, and yes it will tax the controller in order to keep flying that day. All part of hobby I guess. I expect the future to go better in the screen dept.

Gentlemen, using iPAD's in particular is a problem. On the one hand, they overheat quickly with the different effects of black screen, CPU overheating, etc. Depending on the RC settings are such as caching, additional screen recording from the iPad etc., the CPU's quickly run out. So you quickly lose a drone. above all, the trust to lose contact suffers from this. I am surprised that there are no more complaints in this forum. It's no wonder that many pilots attach powerful fans to their iPhones against overheating, for example. The market for such fans is no coincidence. In my opinion, there is too little technical data about iPads and smartphones which guarantees safe flying. The devices proposed by DJI are not logical and partly recommended for outdated devices. With new drone releases, the computing power is becoming more and more demanding. That's my experience. Luckily, I haven't lost a drone despite getting out of iPads, which is only a matter of time because I haven't trusted it for a long time.

It is not a good feeling when a red message on the display indicates a CPU overheating and you no longer know where the drone is on the frozen display. One can only pray that the drone with RTH will come back.
Have been using IPad mini on all 4 of my DJI drones since the Phantom 3 and fly at least once a week , going through 2 of 3 batteries and have never had that overheating warning ,same iPad mini on all drone flights, CPU overloaded yes but mainly only on iPad mini 4 but it has never shut down or failed in any way, I always when a newer model drone comes out purchase the latest iPad mini so maybe that is why I’ve never experienced this, cheers Len

Maybe the people with issues live in a warmer climate and use it in direct sunlight? Or maybe the QC is bad on iPads, don’t know

Maybe the people with issues live in a warmer climate and use it in direct sunlight? Or maybe the QC is bad on iPads, don’t know
test2000Anafi That is what I initially thought (Arizona or somewhere like that), but RFo is from Switzerland.
Perhaps its an altitude issue? I am only 50m above sea level and have never had the symptoms RFo describes with my iPad mini.

Reactions: test2000Anafi
You do not have to fly your Drone, you just have to have it ready to fly...

When the DJI App is on, your Device is connected to your Controller (turned ON) and your Drone is On, This option is in the Three Dot Menu (...) top right of screen, Tap on Control, scroll down to PHONE CHARGING, select Enable (ON) or Disable (OFF).
Well there ya go! After all these years, I never knew that. Don’t think I’ll change it to charging, but a big thanks to you. 😃

Gentleman thank you very much for your input. I fly a Mavic Air2 and have an iPad 7 Gen. I often fly over valleys and near the mountains. The iPad has but also iPhone XR heat up in the summer. I have always taken a parasol and cloths to make shade. If I lose the drone then I can forget about it in the mountains.
That's why I'm looking for a secure device where I can trust. The reference from bmcelya regarding the military-grade Tripltek8 gives me hope.
Nevertheless, I am of the opinion that DJI should not only sell drones but also show technical performance parameters with regard to display devices.

Reactions: bmcelya
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato