DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"Mobile Device CPU Overloaded" Message.

Hillbilly1236

Reactions
I got this message today after flying for about 15 minutes. Any ideas why and how to fix the issue. The video cache was set to 2Gb and when I checked, the video cache showed it was at 2Gb. I cleared the video cache but have not had a chance to see if that was the cause or not. I'm using and old IPad Air with 16Gb of total memory and 4Gb of ram, if that helps.

Up til now I have had no issues with the IPad but maybe this is a sign of things to come.

@Hillbilly1236 you dont say which App you are using but i would think its probably the GO4 App whats happening is that your old Ipad is struggling to run the App now ,might be time to upgrade your device if you can

@Hillbilly1236 you dont say which App you are using but i would think its probably the GO4 App whats happening is that your old Ipad is struggling to run the App now ,might be time to upgrade your device if you can
Sorry, I'm using the latest version of "Fly" and have been since it was released. I find it odd that it has been working fine and all of a sudden it doesn't like something. I've probably got several hours of use on it so far. Is it possible that the FLY app is loading up the CPU, the more I use the drone? Do I need to clear all the information the drone is storing on the IPad, like all the flight data?

I just tried it again and I immediately got that message, even before take off. Something has changed. I then deleted some apps from the Desktop and that stopped the message but I have not tried to fly again. Seems like the IPad is getting overloaded with stored information from the Drone flights.

I've been thinking of getting an IPad Mini5 but it seems kind of silly to get something that expensive just to control my drone, when I already have something that works or has been working.

I've been thinking of getting an IPad Mini5 but it seems kind of silly to get something that expensive just to control my drone.

That's what I thought when I purchased my Spark in 2017.

I'm an Android user but I purchased a iPad mini4 because it was the best thing to have at the time.

I have the Go4 app and the Fly app loaded and I get the same message as you.

I used to see it when I would run the screen recorder in the back ground but I have been seeing it lately at times when I fly. I suspect all of the updates to the apps over time is pushing the CPU. ?

But the mini4 still works and hasn't crashed on any of the flights.

I checked out that link plus some Google searches. Afterwards I deleted some Apps on my Home page plus I turned off "auto refresh" in settings and now the IPad seems to be fine. The message doesn't appear ........ at least not yet, lol. I suspect this will occur again and If I keep running into the same issue I will likely end up getting an IPad Mini 5.

Thank you all for the quick replies and suggestions.

@Hillbilly1236 ,the Fly App does use more processor than the GO 4, if you are using the IPad just for your drone then just delete shut down all apps that are not needed and also stop Save to cache in the App and that will save a lot of wasted processor use

Thanks OMM. I will stop the "save to cache" function.

There seems to be something else going on. I have used the Fly app since getting the drone a couple of weeks ago and I have not added any new apps to the IPad and it has worked fine until now. So whatever was running in the background before, has been since I got the drone. So why the sudden change? The Fly app must be using more CPU now, than it was before. This didn't happen when I updated to the latest Fly app a few days ago and I have at least another hour of fly time since then, before getting the overload warning. Which leads me to think the Fly app is increasing CPU load every time I fly.

I got this message today after flying for about 15 minutes. Any ideas why and how to fix the issue. The video cache was set to 2Gb and when I checked, the video cache showed it was at 2Gb. I cleared the video cache but have not had a chance to see if that was the cause or not. I'm using and old IPad Air with 16Gb of total memory and 4Gb of ram, if that helps.

Up til now I have had no issues with the IPad but maybe this is a sign of things to come.
My ipad mini does the same thing, but it has never given me any problems in terms of flight control etc. So I just ignore it. I typically only get one such message per flight.

Here is a thread describing other folks’ experiences with this issue. It has not caused any crashes, loss of control, disconnects, RTHs or the like as near as I can tell.

mobile device cpu fully loaded (Mavic Air 2)

T
My ipad mini does the same thing, but it has never given me any problems in terms of flight control etc. So I just ignore it. I typically only get one such message per flight.

Here is a thread describing other folks’ experiences with this issue. It has not caused any crashes, loss of control, disconnects, RTHs or the like as near as I can tell.

mobile device cpu fully loaded (Mavic Air 2)
Thanks for that.

When the message appears on my IPad, it does not go away but the only issue I have experienced with it, so far, is that the live feed gets broken up some times. I have not yet done any video recording with it though. Plus I have also deleted a bunch of apps from the home page and that got rid of it so far.

Check that you are not streaming HD to the phone. It is not needed and will eat up more CPU and battery on your phone. This only affects the video cache. Still get hi res on the SD card. I use DJI Go 4 app with M2Zoom so assume it is the same on the DJI Fly app And other DJI drones.

Check that you are not streaming HD to the phone. It is not needed and will eat up more CPU and battery on your phone. This only affects the video cache. Still get hi res on the SD card. I use DJI Go 4 app with M2Zoom so assume it is the same on the DJI Fly app And other DJI drones.
When this happened I was not taking any videos, just flying around but I think I did change the video setting to 2.7P instead of 1080P, 30fps, which is what I normally use. Would that affect the CPU usage? I thought the video on the drone is only 720P, so I wouldn't think that should affect it but I'm no techie. Just an old man playing with a new toy,:)

Reactions: old man mavic
@Hillbilly1236 the setting of the resolution only effects the amount of information that the SD card can hold ,it does not have any bearing on CPU usage on the device

Even if you are not recording video, video is still streaming to the phone so you can see what the camera sees as you fly. There is a HD Transmission setting (or something like that, on DJI Go 4 app for M2Z at least). You want to disable that so a lower transmission rate is used between the phone and drone. I think the HD setting is 1080p and when disabled, it is 720p so you may already have it set that way. As noted above setting to 2.7k is only for what records on the SD card, so it would not impact phone CPU.

Reactions: pelagic_one
Sorry. Can't help as I have neither Fly app or Mini. Perhaps someone will chime in? On the DJO GO 4 App, it is under a section called 'HD Image Transmission Settings / Transmission Quality'. Setting it to 'Norma Mode' gets it out of HD mode.

Well it happened again today, even after deleting all kinds of apps and files from the IPad. So there is something else going on. This IPad worked flawlessly for about 2.5 hrs of flight time and now I get this message every time I fly. Looks like the drone or the App just needs more power every time it flies or it is causing some other issue with the IPad.

I just thought of something else that might be a factor. Until recently, I have been taking off and landing in my front yard and there might not be WIFI service there. I've been getting these warnings when I fly from my porch and maybe there is an app running in the background that connects to WIFI. There is no cell service where I live so that is not the issue. I will have to try flying from further away from the house to see if that makes a difference. I'll report back with my findings.

Are you caching video to the iPad in 4K? If so that will eat 2Gb in very little time. Turn off video caching and see if the problem goes away.

Just a guess on my part.

Are you caching video to the iPad in 4K? If so that will eat 2Gb in very little time. Turn off video caching and see if the problem goes away.

Just a guess on my part.
I'm not taking any video when this happens, just flying but thanks for the suggestion.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zack400