DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Pro Mont Saint-Michel Normandy France

Mont Saint-Michel Normandy France:
This footage is with Mavic 2 Pro, other channel footage is Phantom 3 Advanced.
I always thought that would be such an amazing place to live. Great video!

Beautiful! Thank you for posting.

Having known about Brittany's Mont Saint-Michel since childhood, I was surprised to learn that Cornwall has its own (larger but not built up for as long) Saint Michael's Mount, likewise on an island that at low tide is connected to the mainland by mudflats (both now have causeways).

Reactions: Pondhopper
I was fortunate enough to visit Le Mont Saint Michel in the mid 1980's when there were fewer tourists. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. My wife and I even stayed on the island in a small inn. So, I enjoyed your video but it did look like all the aerial video was ungraded. In fact, it looked like LOG video straight out of the camera. Any artistic reason why you went for that look?

You captured the Mont St Michelle well with the singular exception of failing to ever show the top of the spire. I was frustrated in trying to see if you ever decided to back off or fly higher to show the top of the spire. It never happened.

In addition, the color grading was totally absent in the drone views. It looked entirely like a RAW file or Log file that had not been graded. The colors of the other video camera from ground views really shows how beautiful the colors should have been.

I too, had the opportunity to spend a night there and have the famous omelette on the ground street. It was fantastic. There were no drones many years ago when my wife and I were there.

Dale
Miami

You captured the Mont St Michelle well with the singular exception of failing to ever show the top of the spire. I was frustrated in trying to see if you ever decided to back off or fly higher to show the top of the spire. It never happened.

In addition, the color grading was totally absent in the drone views. It looked entirely like a RAW file or Log file that had not been graded. The colors of the other video camera from ground views really shows how beautiful the colors should have been.

I too, had the opportunity to spend a night there and have the famous omelette on the ground street. It was fantastic. There were no drones many years ago when my wife and I were there.

Dale
Miami
You and I agree on the lack of color Dale but in all fairness, there is one CU shot of St. Michael almost at the end, at the 8:02 mark and there are several wide shots that include the spire. Oh, we also agree on the omelettes, we also had them when we were there...C'est tres delicieux!

Reactions: BethanyFerrell
I was fortunate enough to visit Le Mont Saint Michel in the mid 1980's when there were fewer tourists. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. My wife and I even stayed on the island in a small inn. So, I enjoyed your video but it did look like all the aerial video was ungraded. In fact, it looked like LOG video straight out of the camera. Any artistic reason why you went for that look?
I appreciate your feedback. I had over 20 video clips of Mont Saint-Michel from that day shot as Dlog. I thought by shooting in LOG I would have better dynamic range. It was taking so much time to color grade I questioned if it was worth the effort. But no – the footage was not straight out of the camera. The haze was one problem, and I had to eliminate some footage because the haze was so bad.

I created two versions of this video for no other reason than to see which one I liked better. One rendered as a .mov file and the other as .mp4 which I posted on Vimeo. However, I preformed color grading on both versions. The one on Vimeo I used a LUT that was intended for the DJI camera. So my guess is you would prefer the one on Vimeo at this link:

I did not like initial LUT result as it just didn't seem real – so I had to tweak the saturation and some of the color parameters. Still, I like the .mov version better because it looked more natural at least to me.

Dale
Miami
Let’s cut the new forum member a little slack. It was a nice effort at a travel vlog.

You sorta have to decide what kind of video you want to make. As a travel vlog, it’s way too much drone footage. The clips should be a direct reference to the narrative, for which you’d need a lot more coverage with other video/photo footage. Of course, that’s part of the challenge with tourist travel. How much time do want to spend filming and photographing a locale vs. just enjoying the experience of the place? You’d probably need 3 solid days with drone and gimbal-mounted video camera to get enough coverage, working most of the time, up early for sunrise and late enough for sunset.

I’d say keep working on your travel vlogs. Improve your flying and photo/video skills and visual storytelling. I recommend you invest in the DJI Pocket 2, which would accomplish the non-aerial gimbal video you need to reference the narrative content. Still images don’t cut in as well as video, although the Pocket 2 doesn’t capture as good a quality as a full-frame Mirrorless/DSLR video.

As for the drone footage, I see you’re trying to fly manual most of the time instead of using intelligent flight modes, specifically POI, which would greatly reduce the off-axis errors in the moves you’re attempting. The M2P has a good camera, but it’s a clumsy flyer compared to newer models. Spotlight mode in the MA2 and MM2 models makes all the difference. With the M2P, you can use POI creatively traveling forward/backward and with elevation changes. It’s not as flexible as spotlight, but it’s better than manual. Resist course corrections at all cost as they always have to be cut in post. Use the gimbal more to dramatic effect. Straight forward/backward flight with smooth gimbal moves work very well. While you’d get more shot variety flying closer, buzzing a drone over streets and structures at Mount Saint Michel would be a supreme annoyance for visitors.

With regards to color grading, in this case, you’re filming a gray subject on hazy, gray day. Only so much you can do. Just get your exposure and color balance right when filming. You can always experiment with color grading in post.

Last edited:
Beautiful place! With the added historical narration, it is a great video.

I appreciate your feedback. I had over 20 video clips of Mont Saint-Michel from that day shot as Dlog. I thought by shooting in LOG I would have better dynamic range. It was taking so much time to color grade I questioned if it was worth the effort. But no – the footage was not straight out of the camera. The haze was one problem, and I had to eliminate some footage because the haze was so bad.

I created two versions of this video for no other reason than to see which one I liked better. One rendered as a .mov file and the other as .mp4 which I posted on Vimeo. However, I preformed color grading on both versions. The one on Vimeo I used a LUT that was intended for the DJI camera. So my guess is you would prefer the one on Vimeo at this link:

I did not like initial LUT result as it just didn't seem real – so I had to tweak the saturation and some of the color parameters. Still, I like the .mov version better because it looked more natural at least to me.
It is really a beautiful place. Want to go there since I was younger. I plan to visit in September. I heard that drone are not allowed anymore in a radius of 5km.
It is really a beautiful place. I plan to visit it for so long. I just learned that now drones are not allowed in the area. And getting permission is close to impossible.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61