DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Monument Valley

Some excellent perspective, flyby, and fly over shots.
Would have avoided the random speed up in one of the panos... maybe just a transition of some type.
BTW, what permitting did the reservation require?
No "permitting" is required. The air space is under the exclsive jurisdiction of the FAA and cannot be regulated by the reservation.

Hi Dale,
Try for Moab.......expensive in September, but worth it, for sure. Arches and Island in the Sky are highlights. Drive to Lake Powell and rent a powerboat if you get a chance. This is a spectacular experience.
A couple years ago I rented a house boat on Lake Powell, spent two weeks there.
I'll never forget the experience.

Superior job!

Very nice video and such a great place!! I had the privilege of riding through there a few years back on my motorcycle..

Yes- Valley of the Gods was definitely on my list. If you have any special access roads or favorites points from which to film, I'd love your feedback. I am deferring my trip until September now. Had planned Monument Valley 3 days, Moab 3 days, and Sedona (Enchantment Resort) 3 days. Have had some feedback re: Valley of the Gods and it looks like a promising point to get some aerial footage of the formations.
From Valley of the Gods, drive up the Moki Dugway and go out on Muley Point...spectacular views of the San Juan River.

Reactions: A.O.
I flew from the highway, about 3 miles north in Utah, outside the regular paid visitor area in AZ. There are several roadside turnouts, convenient for photographers to stop and take photos.
if it is possible, tell me the safe place that you described, from where you can launch the drone, if you can find the coordinates on the maps to understand. I will be very grateful to you.

Below are the places I launched from. They are simply turnouts on the road that are remote, but close enough to fly with OcuSync 3mi range. These are Utah locations are on public highways, not on the Monument Valley reservation in AZ. but it's always wise to NOT make it obvious you're flying a drone, even though you're on a public highway. DON'T stand out in broad daylight in the open, looking down at your display. That's a giveaway what you're doing. Either fly from inside the car, or behind the car, hidden from passing cars. I'll often open the rear hatch of my SUV for shade, and sit in the back under the shade with legs hanging over the bumper, like I'm having lunch along the side of the road. This makes it MUCH LESS obvious what your doing, harder to discern what you're doing.

Reduction of suspicion by passerby's is the goal, even though it's legal. YOU DON'T want anyone seeing you, or figure out you're fly. Flying stealth is the goal.

37.020804, -110.144038

37.026610, -110.126501

37.042998, -110.097647

37.047212, -110.094632

Reactions: MARK (LI)

Below are the places I launched from. They are simply turnouts on the road that are remote, but close enough to fly with OcuSync 3mi range. These are Utah locations are on public highways, not on the Monument Valley reservation in AZ. but it's always wise to NOT make it obvious you're flying a drone, even though you're on a public highway. DON'T stand out in broad daylight in the open, looking down at your display. That's a giveaway what you're doing. Either fly from inside the car, or behind the car, hidden from passing cars. I'll often open the rear hatch of my SUV for shade, and sit in the back under the shade with legs hanging over the bumper, like I'm having lunch along the side of the road. This makes it MUCH LESS obvious what your doing, harder to discern what you're doing.

Reduction of suspicion by passerby's is the goal, even though it's legal. YOU DON'T want anyone seeing you, or figure out you're fly. Flying stealth is the goal.

37.020804, -110.144038

37.026610, -110.126501

37.042998, -110.097647

37.047212, -110.094632

I just Googled Monument Valley and it is listed as temporaily closed to visitors!

How can I look up these coordinates on Google maps?

I see that my continued exhortations, "fly stealth!" is catching hold. I do it everywhere and every time.

I just Googled Monument Valley and it is listed as temporaily closed to visitors!

I see that my continued exhortations, "fly stealth!" is catching hold. I do it everywhere and every time.
Dale, just copy-and-paste the coordinates from the above posting into the search box on a Google Maps web page, and you get this (this is the first coordinate): 37°01'14.9"N 110°08'38.5"W · Oljato

I was there in September 2019 and got some incredible pictures using DSLR camera......nothing compared to this video...you really did capture the beauty of the place

Just play around with the last decimals, here's the first one 37.020804, -110.144030 and the last one 37.047212, -110.09463

Yes, the Indians closed Monument Valley down about a year ago. I would think they will reopen later this summer or fall to resume business, because they need the money. However that doesn't hinder any flying you might want to do today over the buttes in the area. You can't fly from within the park legally anyway, even if it was open. Flying from outside the park is very viable at the locations provided.

Ниже приведены места, откуда я начал. Это просто стрелки на дороге, удаленные, но достаточно близкие, чтобы летать с диапазоном действия OcuSync 3 мили. Это места в штате Юта, на дорогах общего пользования, а не в резервации Долины монументов в штате Аризона. но всегда разумно НЕ делать очевидным, что вы управляете дроном, даже если вы едете по шоссе. НЕ выделяйтесь среди бела дня на открытом воздухе, глядя на свой дисплей. То, что вы делаете, - раздача. Либо летите изнутри машины, либо за машиной, скрываясь от проезжающих машин. Я часто открываю задний люк своего внедорожника, чтобы получить тень, и сижу сзади под тенью, свешивая ноги через бампер, как будто я обедаю на обочине дороги. Это делает НАМНОГО МЕНЬШЕ очевидного, что вы делаете, труднее различать, что вы делаете.

Снижение подозрений со стороны прохожих - это цель, даже если это законно. ВЫ НЕ хотите, чтобы кто-нибудь увидел вас или подумал, что вы летаете. Цель - скрытность полета.

37.020804, -110.144038

37.026610, -110.126501

37.042998, -110.097647

37.047212, -110.094632

thank you very much, it will work I'm sure. I also want to clarify, if you look at the FAA maps, then you can fly there, isn't it?, the zone is not red like other places

The last two locations on my previous list are the best IMO. They are both within OcuSync flight range of Setting Hen, Brighams Tomb, Stagecoach and Big Indian buttes, all less than 2mi away.

Location 1

37°02'50.0"N 110°05'40.7"W

37.047212, -110.094632

Location 2

37°02'34.8"N 110°05'51.5"W

37.042998, -110.097647

In Google maps, after finding the turnouts on the map, go to satellite view. Hold Ctrl key down (on PC), then click and drag the mouse to see 3D images of the buttes in the area. This is a great way to see what can be captured from these 2 locations before visiting. This is helpful to plan flights.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka