DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Monument Valley

Yes- Valley of the Gods was definitely on my list. If you have any special access roads or favorites points from which to film, I'd love your feedback. I am deferring my trip until September now. Had planned Monument Valley 3 days, Moab 3 days, and Sedona (Enchantment Resort) 3 days. Have had some feedback re: Valley of the Gods and it looks like a promising point to get some aerial footage of the formations.
Also be sure to include Gooseneck State Park on the San Juan River near to Mexican Hat. You can drive in for $5 and look at it and plan your flight. You can even ask if you can fly from inside the park, but I believe that they only let you fly inside the park is from Nov.-Mar. Anyway you can drive back out of the park and at the top of the hill on the road leading out of the park, stop on the right of road and fly from there back to the beautiful snake shaped river its only about 1/2 mile. DJI_0308R.jpg

Reactions: Thomas B and sar104
Also be sure to include Gooseneck State Park on the San Juan River near to Mexican Hat. You can drive in for $5 and look at it and plan your flight. You can even ask if you can fly from inside the park, but I believe that they only let you fly inside the park is from Nov.-Mar. Anyway you can drive back out of the park and at the top of the hill on the road leading out of the park, stop on the right of road and fly from there back to the beautiful snake shaped river its only about 1/2 mile. View attachment 97407

Yea goodneck is pretty nice. Unfortunately, last time I was in the area, went to Mexican hat but had to hit the road and couldn’t stop at it... it was only an extra 10mins I told the wifey, but no ....[emoji35][emoji35]

This video of Monument Valley is one of my best, IMHO. Hope you like. Please critique. I'm still honing my editing skills. I switched to Resolve recently, as Premiere Pro (I've use it for 3yrs) isn't that much better IMO, and Resolve is free. This video was a true joy to fly and edit, since I had such a grandioso subject to capture. I'm definitely going back there someday to fly again.

Wow that is such a GREAT video you should sell that to Monument Valley. Great editing.!o_O

Did you ask permission?

New MA2 and my first post. Making an RV trip thru the Grand Canyon and Utah in july as of now Need recommendations for legal spots to fly around Zion, lake Powell and monument valley. Understand it is mostly restricted but looking for advice. Thanks in advance!

New MA2 and my first post. Making an RV trip thru the Grand Canyon and Utah in july as of now Need recommendations for legal spots to fly around Zion, lake Powell and monument valley. Understand it is mostly restricted but looking for advice. Thanks in advance!
I was going to take that trip in April and had to cancel and get all my deposits back due to Covid. I was traveling to Monument Valley (had a great reservation at the View in Monument Valley), and private guide for sunrise and sunset locations for photography (timelapse.). ([email protected]), and a reservation at the Sunflower Hill Inn, Moab and Enchantment Resort in Sedona. I had received hints at routes for droning such as near Mexican Hat, and Valley of the Gods.

It should still be doable. It's going to be very hot! Watch your temperatures.

Reactions: IShouldBeWorking
To DDive448

I did a little search for you! Go to the search above (the magnifying glass) and type in MONUMENT VALLEY. I did a screen shot. Lots of information here.Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 7.27.15 PM.png

Reactions: IShouldBeWorking

Sounds like you’re well aware of the restrictions in National Parks, Recreation Areas and Monuments. But there are large areas of Southern Utah managed by the Bureau of Land Management where drones, OHVs and other things are totally fair game. Some Utah State Parks also allow flights with a permit. Just ask when you go in. Good luck!

I believe Monument Valley is closed due to Covid19, however their website doesn't state this. You should call local campgrounds like KOA or Gouldings to get the latest info. So you can't drive into the visitors for a while. This could change at any time, but that doesn't restrict you from flying around many of the monuments from the highway, just north of the Utah border like I did. There are 3 or 4 really good spots that I found, but I'm sure there are others. I go straight up to 400' AGL before I fly over any houses that might be in my path, mitigating noise and potential complaints. With the 4+mi range of the MA2 you should be able to capture some good stuff.

1593130376831.png

I camped the KOA near the turnoff for Monument Valley. There's a good spot that can be flown to from the campground, 3.5mi away. Since they are closed, this is an option.

1593130653136.png

There's also Mustang campground. It's not as good as the KOA, no hookups, but from the Utah side of Mustang campground, that's technically outside of the Monument Valley park. Since it's closer (2.7mi) to flyable monuments, that might be an option, since the park is closed. Keep in mind, you're on Navajo land, and it's Navajo law. Flying stealth is very prudent so nobody is offended. The park entrance is posted with no drone zone signs, but it's closed.

1593130876753.png

1593131509107.png

Cool maps, what did you use to make them ?

@ddiive448 - Since you mention Mexican Hat, that's indeed a great place to fly, as well as the Valley of the Gods nearby and Muley Point at the top of the winding gravel road, I posted a few of my pics up there in this very thread I believe ;-)

Yes here they are : Monument Valley

This video of Monument Valley is one of my best, IMHO. Hope you like. Please critique. I'm still honing my editing skills. I switched to Resolve recently, as Premiere Pro (I've use it for 3yrs) isn't that much better IMO, and Resolve is free. This video was a true joy to fly and edit, since I had such a grandioso subject to capture. I'm definitely going back there someday to fly again.

I loved this video. Being new to this and still climbing that steep learning curve, this is the type of video I'm striving to achieve. Utah and the desert southwest has some stunning landscapes. Can't wait to see what else you have in store!

I loved this video. Being new to this and still climbing that steep learning curve, this is the type of video I'm striving to achieve. Utah and the desert southwest has some stunning landscapes. Can't wait to see what else you have in store!

I give this video 5 stars!!! Great flying, great downward scenes, nice turning around the monuments, god ramping in the editing, and nice music track. The length was just about perfect. Editing excellent too. Bravo! Makes me wasn't to go there, and makes me jealous of your flying.

When I went there 2 years ago I was always wondering about the Navajo reservation lands restrictions. So I just shot some pictures from the roadway nearby. Since then I have been researching the area and found that the Valley of the Gods is on BLM land and no restrictions. If you are as you say new to the flying then this would be the perfect place to fly. You won't have to fly out a mile or 2 to get to the rock formations. This is a 17 mile road that you can drive thru the park, camp, drive up close to each rock formation and fly well within eye site. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks to everyone for the information. We have reservations at Wahweap, page-lake Powell, and koa monument Valley. Most of the parks are likely to still be closed then so looking for the alternatives to see the spectacular scenery. This helps a lot.

John, went back and looked at your video again and it is awesome! Thanks for The maps - went into google earth and looked at them again and thanks for the notations - very helpful. Question - how high are the mesas and Big Indian? thanks again, I’m getting excited.

Wonderful !
Yes so you didn't fly above the "tribal area" probably a good idea. I'm not sure the "tolerance" to take off outside and fly above, as can apparently be done for National Parks, would go down too well.
Doesn't matter... only the FAA has jurisdiction over our air space. I've lived on a reservation, and there's no reason to think they'd think any differently than anywhere else, when it comes to drone flyovers.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78