DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Monument Valley

Since the Valley of the Gods was mentioned, a fabulous place to go to/fly in the area too is Muley Point. A dizzying panorama above the San Juan goosenecks with MV in the distance.

23-Muley-02.jpg

24-Muley-01.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: tesohn
Great stuff! I've flown over monument valley many times and that's by far the best view I've ever had.. I'm almost afraid to tell you....I muted your sound and played an instrumental version of "She wore a yellow ribbon'" that I found on you tube over the video...John Ford would have loved it I'm sure

This video of Monument Valley is one of my best, IMHO. Hope you like. Please critique. I'm still honing my editing skills. I switched to Resolve recently, as Premiere Pro (I've use it for 3yrs) isn't that much better IMO, and Resolve is free. This video was a true joy to fly and edit, since I had such a grandioso subject to capture. I'm definitely going back there someday to fly again.

Absolutely beautiful. Did you use your Zoom or Phantom?

Yes, while you are in the area, Muley Point is a must see as is Moki Dugway and Goose Necks State Park. About in the middle of the 16 mile drive through Valley of the Gods there are some sharp curves in the road and a couple of excellent places to stop off the main road and fly near some huge monoliths. The 16 miles is gravel and usually in fairly good condition.

Nice work! The colors really turned out naturally vibrant. I even see a little snow. I think you may have inspired me to do a quick vid of my winter drone footage from utah (ie. When nobody is around to bug you)!

This video of Monument Valley is one of my best, IMHO. Hope you like. Please critique. I'm still honing my editing skills. I switched to Resolve recently, as Premiere Pro (I've use it for 3yrs) isn't that much better IMO, and Resolve is free. This video was a true joy to fly and edit, since I had such a grandioso subject to capture. I'm definitely going back there someday to fly again.

Stunning! Love that red rock scenery! I sure hope to get back down there again when all this isolation is over. Thanks for sharing! It got me mentally out of the house for a few minutes.

Great looking stuff John. Did you use the Mavic Point of Interest function for the circling shot?

Absolutely beautiful. Did you use your Zoom or Phantom?
I used the M2Z on this flight because the altitude was less than 1640', only about 1200' above launch point. I use the P4P on higher altitude flights when climbing higher mountains. I didn't use any of the POI auto function to circle the rocks, that was all manual control. The M2Z handles those POI circles very nice and easy manually, much less jerky than the same circle effort with the P4P. I'm not sure why the P4P won't keep a consistent rate of yaw when I'm circling something, but it just won't do it. Even in a hover, trying to yaw the P4P consistently is very tough, but the M2Z can do this easily, at very slot yaw rates. Interestingly enough, the M2Z controller has shorter sticks, yet it handles more precise than P4P. The M2Z is just more precise navigation (without tripod on). Given the better flight characteristics of Mavic 2, I would have bought an M2P, but it does not support 4K@60FPS, so I bought the M2Z for the zoom. When I use the P4P for flights, I avoid circling things in a POI because I know it's a challenge to get good consistent yaw rates, they just don't turn out as good, not as precise and cinematic as the Mavic2 can do. I'm thinking it's the big landing gear on the P4P that may be hindering the precision of the yaw rate consistently.

Last edited:
Yes, while you are in the area, Muley Point is a must see as is Moki Dugway and Goose Necks State Park. About in the middle of the 16 mile drive through Valley of the Gods there are some sharp curves in the road and a couple of excellent places to stop off the main road and fly near some huge monoliths. The 16 miles is gravel and usually in fairly good condition.
Thanks for the tip. I'm actually planning to go through that area in the fall this year, so I'll make sure to check those out too.

Thank you. Well done. My next task will be to goon Goggle Earth and find that Utah Highway north of the Tribal lands. We are planning to be in the area perhaps this fall. About how far from the launch did you have to fly for this spectacular scenery? Thanks
The farthest was 1.5 miles away from launch, which is easy for the M2. You'll need good eyes ;-)

1585371104114.png

Very nice indeed. I have been there a few times and this summer we are / were planing a long MC trip through this area and down to NM. we will see. I better get out and practice I guess just in case. Nice job and perfect music.

I liked the "speed-ups" in the early portion of the video.....I don't know how to do that in Resolve. What is the workflow?
SE Utah is world-class beautiful. We're super lucky to have it here in the US.

They're called ramps in most video editing software, probably in Resolve too. Or just check under (variable) video speed.

Beautiful video. The speed ramps felt out of place...the music continued slowly, so then the abrupt speed ramps, to me, didn't feel right...maybe instead of a speed ramp...a dissolve to the next part of that shot? There were also a couple times the gimbal tilted quickly. But yeah that's some beautiful country. Nice job.

Yes- Valley of the Gods was definitely on my list. If you have any special access roads or favorites points from which to film, I'd love your feedback. I am deferring my trip until September now. Had planned Monument Valley 3 days, Moab 3 days, and Sedona (Enchantment Resort) 3 days. Have had some feedback re: Valley of the Gods and it looks like a promising point to get some aerial footage of the formations.

I too would love to know if there are nice launch sites for drones and not upset the Navajo elders/members. When we drove through Valley of the Gods, it was just WOW! I think we saw only two other cars in the park.

I flew in the exact same spot as you cannot fly in the park itself. This is on the famous road that Tom Hanks was filmed on in the Forest Gump movie. I like the shot looking back at the actual park itself (i.e. looking back to where you started). Nice job. I also flew across the road to the left as you are returning. How I wanted to fly in Arches and Zion. However, I did get outside of the boundary to Zion and then flew into it getting some great shots.

Thank you! As a complete stranger to the area, I particularly appreciated the naming of the features. ?

I liked the "speed-ups" in the early portion of the video.....I don't know how to do that in Resolve. What is the workflow?
SE Utah is world-class beautiful. We're super lucky to have it here in the US.
On YouTube, search on "Resolve Speed Ramps", and you'll find tutorials on how it's done. That's how I learned the process. The slider ramp adjustment in the timeline is really handy to make the speed ramp start and stop to the music timing, something I couldn't do with Premiere Pro as easy. With Resolve it's a piece of cake to match music beats, etc.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair