DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MOTOR SPEED ERROR MAVIC MINI

New props came and MM is 100% back to normal. Flew 3 batteries with NO ISSUES. The problem is clearly storing the drone with rear props folded and compressed. I'm leaving mine out of case unless I need to transport. Not sure how to do that now. Not being able to fold it up and store safely during transport kind of limits its usefulness and purpose of being a compact drone. Is this happening on the larger Mavics or are the larger props more resilient?

The front props seem to be level so storing upside down may be an option. That would mean carving out the Flymore case or buying a new custom with foam that can be carved. DJI should really be informed and pressed on this issue, it is a bizarre design defect, not in the drone itself but the storage. I was lucky and did not loose mine but many have.
I saw this bag posted for the Mini - but haven't got supplier details - sorry ...
Alt_CarryCase.jpg
As you can see, it has cut-outs that allow the Mini to be stowed with top and bottom prop's north-south ...

Last edited:
Yes Props stored incorrectly.
I had error, switched props error gone, be careful with props

I’ve been having issues with my mini throwing ESC and motor errors after the last firmware update. The advice on the Fly App was to change the rotor blades on the rear left rotor. I tried flying it with freshly charged batteries as well but i refused to change the blades until ive tried everything else.

So here is what i learnt and i hope it would be helpful for someone.
1) The error occurs if the firmware was updated using the phone
2) Use DJI Assistant 2 software from your computer and hit refresh the firmware option
3)Ensure you use the original cables and follow the instructions on the DJI Assistant 2 software.

I flew my drone for a good 25 minutes after doing the above and I’ve not had the error. Previously, the error would pop up as soon as I have the bird in the air.

Reactions: Photo Joe
I’ve been having issues with my mini throwing ESC and motor errors after the last firmware update. The advice on the Fly App was to change the rotor blades on the rear left rotor. I tried flying it with freshly charged batteries as well but i refused to change the blades until ive tried everything else.

So here is what i learnt and i hope it would be helpful for someone.
1) The error occurs if the firmware was updated using the phone
2) Use DJI Assistant 2 software from your computer and hit refresh the firmware option
3)Ensure you use the original cables and follow the instructions on the DJI Assistant 2 software.

I flew my drone for a good 25 minutes after doing the above and I’ve not had the error. Previously, the error would pop up as soon as I have the bird in the air.
Wow - you have come in at post #224 in a series that pretty much proves that the error is nothing to do with software - with a post that tells us it is!
If you read the posts, you'll see that the recent software update simply reports the motor overspeed error, and tells you to change prop blades, but doesn't tell you why. The reports in this thread, and in another similar (Mavic Mini uncommanded descent tests) conclude that this problem comes about due to the folding of the MM's arms, then the east-west crossing of the rear set of prop blades under the body of the Mavic.
Rear-left.jpg
Due to their being a slight outward canter on the rear motors, the blades will not mesh under the MM without applying pressure to each other - which flattens the blades and distorts them (effectively reducing their pitch). This is complicated further when the Mavic Mini is stowed after a flight and it is hot. The heat will soften the prop blades, and then as they cool, they will hold the distortion.

You may have had a short-term fix with what you have done above - but doing things like rolling back the firmware version will just remove the error message, but not the problem. Longer-term, the prop distortion gets to the point where you'll need the MM to provide max. thrust on the rear motors to get it home against the wind, and it will stall the rear prop's and literally fall out of the sky (which is also reported in these threads).

There is only one way to fix this:
a) Replace the rear (distorted) prop-set with new blades.
b) Do not fold the rear prop-blades east-west (as DJI recommend!) across the underside of the Mavic Mini! You need to stow the Mini with the props folded in line with the motor arms.
dji-mavic-mini-drone-7.jpgDJI's pictures show the Mini folded like this - which will prevent the blade distortion.
c) Get yourself an alternate storage case that allows the Mini to be folded and stored with the blades folded along the motor arms ...
Alt_CarryCase.jpgI'm not sure of the brand of this case - but the important thing is the north-south oriented slots for the prop-sets.

Reactions: Exotic Blacklist
Wow - you have come in at post #224 in a series that pretty much proves that the error is nothing to do with software - with a post that tells us it is!
If you read the posts, you'll see that the recent software update simply reports the motor overspeed error, and tells you to change prop blades, but doesn't tell you why. The reports in this thread, and in another similar (Mavic Mini uncommanded descent tests) conclude that this problem comes about due to the folding of the MM's arms, then the east-west crossing of the rear set of prop blades under the body of the Mavic.
View attachment 104544
Due to their being a slight outward canter on the rear motors, the blades will not mesh under the MM without applying pressure to each other - which flattens the blades and distorts them (effectively reducing their pitch). This is complicated further when the Mavic Mini is stowed after a flight and it is hot. The heat will soften the prop blades, and then as they cool, they will hold the distortion.

You may have had a short-term fix with what you have done above - but doing things like rolling back the firmware version will just remove the error message, but not the problem. Longer-term, the prop distortion gets to the point where you'll need the MM to provide max. thrust on the rear motors to get it home against the wind, and it will stall the rear prop's and literally fall out of the sky (which is also reported in these threads).

There is only one way to fix this:
a) Replace the rear (distorted) prop-set with new blades.
b) Do not fold the rear prop-blades east-west (as DJI recommend!) across the underside of the Mavic Mini! You need to stow the Mini with the props folded in line with the motor arms.
View attachment 104542DJI's pictures show the Mini folded like this - which will prevent the blade distortion.
c) Get yourself an alternate storage case that allows the Mini to be folded and stored with the blades folded along the motor arms ...
View attachment 104543I'm not sure of the brand of this case - but the important thing is the north-south oriented slots for the prop-sets.

Thank you very much for your post. In my excitement, I guess I didn't pay enough attention. My drone is pretty much stored the way you have suggested above.

I did not roll back the firmware. I just refreshed the latest firmware (that was already updated on the Mini) using the Assistant 2.

Thanks again and apologies for the post :)

Thank you very much for your post. In my excitement, I guess I didn't pay enough attention. My drone is pretty much stored the way you have suggested above.

I did not roll back the firmware. I just refreshed the latest firmware (that was already updated on the Mini) using the Assistant 2.

Thanks again and apologies for the post :)
Don't apologise mate - we all learn from this. The fact that you store your drone with the prop's NOT under east-west pressure is significant. I think that has more to do with why you aren't seeing the problem now. You gave good input into the mix and I didn't mean to come across bossy!

Don't apologise mate - we all learn from this. The fact that you store your drone with the prop's NOT under east-west pressure is significant. I think that has more to do with why you aren't seeing the problem now. You gave good input into the mix and I didn't mean to come across bossy!
All taken in good spirit ! Thank you again!

Hello there! Registered just to ask for your suggestions before buying new case..
Do you think any case without "folded floor" will work? I'm thinking to buy this one and perhaps glue some thin vertical foam to help keeping propellers north-south. Am I thinking good here? Thanks!

case.JPG

Hi all, registered her simply for this error. I changed the props on left rear. However when I try to take off the drone now starts to lift off and tips backwards towards the left, hits the ground and it stops. Can anyone please offer some assistance? Do I need to tell the drone I’ve replaced the props? Thanks.

Hello there! Registered just to ask for your suggestions before buying new case..
Do you think any case without "folded floor" will work? I'm thinking to buy this one and perhaps glue some thin vertical foam to help keeping propellers north-south. Am I thinking good here? Thanks!

View attachment 104618
This looks like a great case, as you can 'trim the foam if you need to, and glue additional foam as you suggest.

Reactions: jazzyjazz
Hi all, registered her simply for this error. I changed the props on left rear. However when I try to take off the drone now starts to lift off and tips backwards towards the left, hits the ground and it stops. Can anyone please offer some assistance? Do I need to tell the drone I’ve replaced the props? Thanks.
No - you don't need to do anything about 'telling the drone it has new props' - but what it does sound like is you may have got a prop-set on the wrong motor. Note that the motors act as a set of two that spin clockwise, and a set of two that spin anti-clockwise. If you have got a clockwise prop-set on an anti-clock wise motor (or vice versa of course) - you will get the problem you are seeing. Have a look at page 18 of the Mini manual regarding prop changes.

No - you don't need to do anything about 'telling the drone it has new props' - but what it does sound like is you may have got a prop-set on the wrong motor. Note that the motors act as a set of two that spin clockwise, and a set of two that spin anti-clockwise. If you have got a clockwise prop-set on an anti-clock wise motor (or vice versa of course) - you will get the problem you are seeing. Have a look at page 18 of the Mini manual regarding prop changes.

Awesome thanks for your help. I got mine 2nd hand so no manual. Will check this out.

This looks like a great case, as you can 'trim the foam if you need to, and glue additional foam as you suggest.

Thank you! Ordered. The case is called "Lekufee" but it seems to be available only on german amazon (45 euro)

As for the modification. I'm thinking of adding a 5 mm thick vertical foam in this way:
case modification (2).jpg

Does it make sense?

I haven't any problem before update, but now I have. And I see that my MM is acting strange in the air. If this problem still remains after reinstall 0500 firmware using DJI Assistant I'll better roll back to 0400.
Just wondering if there has been any progress in this area? Did your roll back happen or has the issue goone away?

I am a new user and when I unpackaged the drone my very first observation was how vunerable the props are when stuffing the device back into the case. I was instantlly planning to make my own case because of this.

I have recieved this eror on severale occasions now since first flight (six flights under my belt now) and last night i recieved the "land and replace the props on the beeping ESC."
The drone sounds loader now and is quite twitchy during the hover state. Guess i better keep a large stockpile of props if six short flights is enough to need full prop replacement.

Just wondering if there has been any progress in this area? Did your roll back happen or has the issue goone away?

I am a new user and when I unpackaged the drone my very first observation was how vunerable the props are when stuffing the device back into the case. I was instantlly planning to make my own case because of this.

I have recieved this eror on severale occasions now since first flight (six flights under my belt now) and last night i recieved the "land and replace the props on the beeping ESC."
The drone sounds loader now and is quite twitchy during the hover state. Guess i better keep a large stockpile of props if six short flights is enough to need full prop replacement.
If you have a read of the thread - you'll get the idea (hopefully) that this issue is nothing to do with firmware. It's everything to do with how you 'stuff the drone back into the case' however.

Thank you! Ordered. The case is called "Lekufee" but it seems to be available only on german amazon (45 euro)

As for the modification. I'm thinking of adding a 5 mm thick vertical foam in this way:
View attachment 104673

Does it make sense?
Makes sense and it looks like it will work ...

I didn't downgrade, just did a refresh on the .500 upgrade. Had pretty good weather yesterday and put another 30 min. on her and no problems at all.
I was having same rotor speed issue with .500, I downgraded to .400 and made test flight and issue resolve.New update is bad.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi