DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MOTOR SPEED ERROR MAVIC MINI

This sounds a bit like part 1 of the 'uncommanded descent' issues being discussed in other threads. It might be that the firmware upgrade is coincidental - but ... A couple of questions and suggestions:
1) Have you noticed any difference in the sound of the drone? i.e. does it sound like it's rpm is higher??
1a) If you have a second set of prop's and can change the REAR set of 4 blades only, does that change the flying sound to a lower pitch [rpm]?
2) Have you noticed any difference in the stability of the drone in the hover? Does it hover steady, or wobble about a bit??
3) Fold out the MM's arms and prop's, and looking horizontally at the prop blades - do the front set have a different shape to the back set?? i.e. do the props on the back look a bit 'flattened'?
4) Do you store the MM folded up in a Fly More case?
5) If the answer to 4) is Yes - do you make sure that the prop blades on the rear arms are lying east/west across the body of the drone, or do they angle back toward the rear of the drone when it is packed in the foam cut-out?

There have been reports of the MM being stowed in the Fly More case with the [rear] blades that end up on the under-side, angled back toward the rear of the drone. If that happens, the drone will sandwich the blades under itself. A foam block on the lid of the case puts added pressure through the Mavic down onto the blades sitting on top of another foam block under the MM. It seems that if this stowage is not done carefully, the blades on the rear arms, can get 'flattened' and lose some of their pitch. That then means they have to over-rev to get the same lifting ability. It's possible that the over-rev can also make the blades stall and lose all lift, making the MM descend.
Ideally, when in the Fly More case, the rear prop-set should sit free in an open space in front of the foam block that supports the belly of the Mavic.

I'm wondering if the motor speed warning is the first stage of this problem that has been seen by a few Mavic Mini owners.

Reactions: Hodge and Davros007
I have the same problem. I can't understand when and why it does like that. As u restart the drone it turns stable but then can do so again :/

I haven't flown my mini for a month since the lock down. I updated the firmware and when I flew the drone, I got the motor speed error.

Reactions: Chrislaf
do you have or use the standard flymore combo case?
Yes, I have. And use. And I understand what you're driving at, but... Does it not seem strange to you that people receive the same update and they immediately begin to have problems with the motor? It seems to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: dozzn and BillM
Yes, I have. An use. And I understand what you're driving at, but... Does it not seem strange to you that people receive the same update and they immediately begin to have problems with the motor? It seems to me.
No, it doesn't seem strange. If the software update is trying to address the problem but using the wrong methods to do it, then it does make sense. If DJI have tried to address a hardware fault (deformed props), with a software update - then it's going to cause problems. If the software update just allows more rpm to be put on the rear motors, and the props are being deformed, then the props will just stall and over rev whenever max power needs to be applied.

Reactions: rehkram
Found on DJI forum that it is possible to upgrade/downgrade your MM using "DJI Assistant 2" app for your PC. I just reinstall firmware using it, but can't check, night. In any case, if the problem remains, I'll try to roll back to 0400, it is it the list of available firmwares in app.

No, it doesn't seem strange. If the software update is trying to address the problem but using the wrong methods to do it, then it does make sense. If DJI have tried to address a hardware fault (deformed props), with a software update - then it's going to cause problems. If the software update just allows more rpm to be put on the rear motors, and the props are being deformed, then the props will just stall and over rev whenever max power needs to be applied.
I haven't any problem before update, but now I have. And I see that my MM is acting strange in the air. If this problem still remains after reinstall 0500 firmware using DJI Assistant I'll better roll back to 0400.

I haven't any problem before update, but now I have. And I see that my MM is acting strange in the air. If this problem still remains after reinstall 0500 firmware using DJI Assistant I'll better roll back to 0400.
That will be an interesting experiment.

I understand that it could be disconcerting to see it stay in the air, but that's actually normal behavior¡

If DJI are trying something in the latest update to 'test the waters' on somehow fixing the uncommanded descent / motor speed problem, and fail, this is terrible process on their part.
I wonder how many 'first post mini crashes' we might see coming up in the crash section ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi