DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MOTOR SPEED ERROR MAVIC MINI

So someone mentioned to me another cheap thing you could use besides velcro would be electrical shrink tubing. Its rubber so won't scratch you just feed the tips of second pair into the hole just as this velcro is shipped closed up.. but im not sure if that wouldn't be too thin. I just wanna stay with what I know 100% works. Velcro is meaty and cushiony and fills all the air gaps. That could end up mattering in some climates. in higher heat like in your closed up car for a couple hours while you shop can reach temps of 170°F so anything flexible plastic at those temps would surely make things worse. I suggest keep it looser than tight and be mindful of how much heat you subject your aircraft too. I think by getting this info out there it will save people money, headaches and possible future damage to drone using these crazy twisting tubberbands. I would say rubberbands are the worst thing you could use. Keeping in mind the possible heat again. That could matter but might not. But im sticking with the velcro. I had some white one that said DJI on them also that came on my MP plat. Cable but lost them somewhere. Think they blew away in strong wind one day.

So someone mentioned to me another cheap thing you could use besides velcro would be electrical shrink tubing. Its rubber so won't scratch you just feed the tips of second pair into the hole just as this velcro is shipped closed up.. but im not sure if that wouldn't be too thin. I just wanna stay with what I know 100% works. Velcro is meaty and cushiony and fills all the air gaps. That could end up mattering in some climates. in higher heat like in your closed up car for a couple hours while you shop can reach temps of 170°F so anything flexible plastic at those temps would surely make things worse. I suggest keep it looser than tight and be mindful of how much heat you subject your aircraft too. I think by getting this info out there it will save people money, headaches and possible future damage to drone using these crazy twisting tubberbands. I would say rubberbands are the worst thing you could use. Keeping in mind the possible heat again. That could matter but might not. But im sticking with the velcro. I had some white one that said DJI on them also that came on my MP plat. Cable but lost them somewhere. Think they blew away in strong wind one day.

I also believe you can use centrifugal force and natural heat from the sun and bring your old warped ones back. They were hard molded to the shape in factory so ifs gonna have a memory and want to go back to that original shape. They just waiting for you to give them the opportunity. Really warm plastic blades spinning at hover speed

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note10+.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 1/4/21 8:20 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: Thomas Strickland <[email protected]>
Subject: EverPlay Production loves your comment

Youtube Logo
If you no longer wish to receive emails about comments and replies, you can unsubscribe.
© 2021 YouTube, LLC 901 Cherry Ave, San Bruno, CA 94066
YouTubeTwitter

Address not found​

Your message wasn't delivered to [email protected] because the address couldn't be found, or is unable to receive mail.
LEARN MORE
The response was:
The email account that you tried to reach does not exist. Please try double-checking the recipient's email address for typos or unnecessary spaces. Learn more at Fix bounced or rejected emails - Gmail Help

---------- Forwarded message ----------
To: YouTube <[email protected]>
Cc:
Bcc:
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2021 22:31:30 -0500
Subject: RE: EverPlay Production loves your comment
----- Message truncated -----

Have you ever done a hover test and plotted your motor speeds?
Hey bro... I see that this is a "Class action" group. Im not sure what that means exactly but I assume a hope for a lawsuit if it could be proven that DJI is at fault therefore should compensate those that had the issues???
You do realize that if im right, which i am lol, it still means the problem is with the case just the same. Looks like you've done a lot of work getting to this point. I hope you're not giving up just because you were wrong about this part. What is the next steps other than giving up hope?

I see that this is a "Class action" group.

No. It's not. You're jumping back and forth between two separate discussion threads.

This subject of this thread, as you can see at the top of the page, is "Motor Speed Error Mavic Mini", and it is here in the "Firmware & Software" section of the forum.

The other thread is called "Mavic Mini class action info speed error", and it's over in the "Mavic Crash & Flyaway Assistance" section.

I'm not sure what that means exactly but I assume a hope for a lawsuit if it could be proven that DJI is at fault therefore should compensate those that had the issues???

I believe the original poster in that thread thought his survey might lead to a class action lawsuit. But I think that has very little chance of success. When you initially try to start up your brand new DJI aircraft, you first need to register an account with DJI in order to activate your drone. In that account registration process you are required to agree to their very lengthy terms and conditions. I suspect a lot of people just blindly click agree without ever reading any of that stuff.

If I remember correctly, one of the terms we all agreed to was that we'd never launch a class action lawsuit against DJI.

Gotcha...Other than Facebook I've never been in groups or Forums or any of these chat rooms. Thats why this has me all dizzy lol. Im old school. And I thought this was your thread. I dont know anything about all that other and is why I was asking. I cant possibly see where anyone could sue them for anything but then again I've never sued anyone so what do I know about how things happen and work. I just have a lot of time on my hands atm and im over Facebook so this where I landed ha

You do realize that if i'm right, which i am lol, it still means the problem is with the case just the same. Looks like you've done a lot of work getting to this point. I hope you're not giving up just because you were wrong about this part. What is the next steps other than giving up hope?
I don't know how to make this any clearer. This will be my last attempt, after which you're free to go your own way...

Yes, the problem certainly is with the case. It is the same problem with the Fly More Case, as it is with the plastic shell that Standard (i.e. non-FlyMore) Minis are shipped in. Furthermore it is the exact same problem with so many of the available aftermarket propeller holders, same as it is with the oem DJI Mini propeller holder. And it is the same problem with DJI's original paper bands holding the blades for shipping, as it is with rubber bands or heatshrink tubing, as is it is with your velcro strap.

The problem is storing the prop blades folded together crossed laterally over/under the body of the Mini. The rear blades especially, because of the angle at which the motors are mounted, cannot be folded meshed together without bending the blades.

The problem with the Fly More Case, same as the original Standard Mini shipping box, is that the blades must be crossed laterally in order to fit the Mini into the case/box. The problem is that DJI's label in the bottom of the case instructs you to always make sure the blades are "properly" crossed.

Your videos show how loosely the velcro binds the blades. It doesn't matter what, if anything, is used to hold them in that crossed position. What matters is that the blades are in the crossed position, as that's enough to bend them.

Your own photos clearly show that. The tips of the rear blades, especially the one that ends up lowest at the bottom of the stack, are being bent to fit under the roots of the opposite side's blades.

Your video showing how easily the blades now slide together is clear evidence that your blades are already permanently bent. New straight blades will cross in an "X", and cannot be meshed over/under the opposite side's blades without bending them.

Your own Mini may very well (yet) fly fine like this with no error messages. But many other people have had problems with theirs. The only way to know for certain whether propeller deformation is having an effect on your Mini's performance is to do a simple Hover Test and plot your motor speeds.

For reference, go back to post#256 on Page-13 in this same thread:
mavicpilots.com/threads/motor-speed-error-mavic-mini.86130/page-13#post-1038918

I also believe you can use centrifugal force and natural heat from the sun and bring your old warped ones back. They were hard molded to the shape in factory so it's gonna have a memory and want to go back to that original shape. They just waiting for you to give them the opportunity. Really warm plastic blades spinning at hover speed.

That cannot be true. If the centrifugal force of hovering in sunlight were sufficient to straighten warped blades, then surely spinning the props at even higher speeds in everyday normal flight on sunny days would ensure the blades were always automatically straightened and nobody would ever experience a Motor Speed Error.

Reactions: AdDaMan
I am a new mavic mini owner with a fly more combo. (7 days old) I am now horrified after seeing Ian of London's youtube video with a link here and reading these posts.

Please can you advise me of the following:

1. is there any "good" method of storing in the original case, even if with some form of new prop guard/3rd party item
2. If I cannot use the fly more case is there any better alternative? I have 2 small children so I need a case/bag to keep out of sight/ extra to keep fingers away.
3. Is there any recommended better propeller replacements? Carbon fibre etc?

Kind regards,

Paul

I am a new mavic mini owner with a fly more combo. (7 days old) I am now horrified after seeing Ian of London's youtube video with a link here and reading these posts.

1. is there any "good" method of storing in the original case, even if with some form of new prop guard/3rd party item
2. If I cannot use the fly more case is there any better alternative? I have 2 small children so I need a case/bag to keep out of sight/ extra to keep fingers away.

Kind regards,

Paul

Brother i feel for you on account that there's 3 of us that think differently and have to make that decision so best I can tell you go with whichever sounds more logical to you im not gonna push you to try my way but I will say this... I can guarantee you if you listen to me and ive personally helped over 50 others and it hasn't failed yet and countless more nor personally but I've posted my method and proof in many places and never heard one person tell me i was wrong that listened. And my way wont cost you anything and you even get to keep the flymore case. I believe some have their own personal agendas maybe to sell you something but im not gonna bash anyone. Im currently using my tablet and having issues navigating this app but if you look up my name you'll see I know what im talking about. Shoot me an email and we'll chat and let you decide from there. [email protected]

Kind regards,

Paul

Its almost always the rear props that have issues. I love the bag that the Mini Combo comes with and have adapted to it. If you carefully place the blades folded across the bottom of the drone in the hole provided for them they will float instead of being pinched against the case and I don't think you will have any problems. Many of the prop guards can cause the same blade issues from wrestling them in place.

Upgraded props are really not an option right now.... the current 3rd party props are hit or miss because of quality. Master Airscrew sells premium props for many of the drones flown here and have announced props for the Mini but they have not been released yet.

Don't fret too much.... carry the extra props and screwdriver in your kit and change the blades out if needed. Its really not that big of deal. Just make sure you are positioning the bottom blades in the case properly every time.

Paul, im gonna be honest, im not having issues with my tablet, im just not gonna argue with anyone else that may decide to chime in, im done with all that. They been trying tonfigure it out in this Forum for months that I had no clue about. I figured it out well over a year ago. They are only guessing. I heard therecways change more times than I can believe without atleast trying my way. I think the issue is they've been arguing with others for so long pushing thei theory they can't accept the truth at this point cuz they'd have to admit they were wrong. Thats all I'm gonna say about it in this thread brother. If you want a it fixed and never worry it again for free no 3rd party anything and its as simple as it get email me man ill get you right thats a promise. If not at least don't use any guards, they screw up more than they fix in the long run ive seen what they do. [email protected]

The problem will re-occur if you continue storing the Mini with the rear blades crossed.

Here are four more images to illustrate the problem with the rear propeller blades.

The rear motors are mounted on an angle, canted outwards. Here you can see how the rear propeller blades point upward when turned out.
View attachment 106458

When the prop blades are turned inward (across the body of the Mini) you can see how fresh new (straight) blades extend away from the body of the Mini. If the blades from both sides are turned inwards they form an X with the tips crossing. The blades from one side will not fit under the blades from the other side unless one side or the other is bent to fold under the opposite blades. If your rear blades now slide easily together it can only mean they're already bent.
View attachment 106459

Obviously if you set it down on a tabletop with the blades positioned like this, the weight of the Mini will bend the blades. The Fly More case has a trough into which the rear blades can hang without the weight of the Mini resting on them. However, just forcing the blades into the required crossed position is already enough to bend the blades. So even if stored "properly" in the Fly More case, the rear blades are bending.
View attachment 106460

If you instead position the blades longitudinally down the sides of the Mini, the angle the motors are mounted at is level with the rear arms. You can set it down flat on a tabletop like this without bending the prop blades. However, they will not fit into the Fly More case, nor into the original plastic shipping tray of non-fly-more Minis, with the prop blades positioned like this.
View attachment 106461

I have been storing my Mini on a shelf with the arms open unfolded ever since replacing the propeller blades. For travelling, I ordered a new carry case which stores the prop blades positioned longitudinally, both front and rear blades down the sides of the Mini rather than laterally folded across the body.

Search for a "Sunnylife Mavic Mini Case". There are different types. This one allows the blades to be stored positioned longitudinally.
View attachment 106462

This is an excellent post, thank you for the information and the pictures. It is clear that the Fly More case is not designed properly for storage of the Mavic Mini. Has anyone tried adding a little bit of foam under the Mini that would allow the props to be stored with them in the orientation that does not damage them? It seems like there is enough room in the case that would allow some padding to be installed under the length of the aircraft to raise it enough to store the props in the direction indicated above? Just a thought.

Reactions: Zbip57
I don't need a reply, as I have not yet replaced any propellers. But, I just wanted to add that I flew my mini 15 times with zero errors. I store it with prop guards installed. So, I don't think storage would be the issue. The error occurred on the first flight after a firmware update (but, again, I'm not saying it is not the propellers.)

I will start by replacing the rear props, if the error happens again. I have read the entire thread and all links.

I don't need a reply, as I have not yet replaced any propellers. But, I just wanted to add that I flew my mini 15 times with zero errors. I store it with prop guards installed. So, I don't think storage would be the issue. The error occurred on the first flight after a firmware update (but, again, I'm not saying it is not the propellers.)

I will start by replacing the rear props, if the error happens again. I have read the entire thread and all links.
Storage is the problem..... the new firmware just made it more sensitive to the speed differences that were occurring from the bent props. Even the prop guards cause the props to bend and change pitch. The New Mini SE which is more the Mini 1 more than Mini 2 uses the Mini 2's props because they solve the issues that were occurring.

I haven't flown my mini for a long time -- over a year. Work kept getting in the way. Anyway, I'm recently retired, and dusted off the drone. First I updated all of the firmware, charged everything up, and went for a flight to re-acquaint myself to the controls, etc. After a brief 10 minute flight, I kept receiving the Motor Speed Error, etc. Returned to home, reset everything, error kept repeating. Then I found this thread, and all has become clear. My mini has been stored in its case for a year, so I have no doubt that the rear blades had a permanent warp due to the pressures associated with the case storage. I changed out the two sets of rear blades, and have been flying all afternoon without a problem. So, no more case storage for me. In fact, no more use of the case for anything but the batteries, controller and cables. I'll find a better carrying solution for the drone. In the meantime, I've repurposed an unused iPad stand for the mini -- just need to dust it off every few days with a can of Dust Off. Or better yet, fly it! Cheers.IMG_0300.jpeg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54