DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Motor Temps

For my motors I use INFRARED thermometer, to check each motor for hotter readings.
Especially in hot weather, all motor temp should be within 5 degrees of each other.
I check just in case one is going BAD, and quits working while in flight.
I check periodically, as I said especially when its hot outside.

For my motors I use INFRARED thermometer, to check each motor for hotter readings.
Especially in hot weather, all motor temp should be within 5 degrees of each other.
I check just in case one is going BAD, and quits working while in flight.
I check periodically, as I said especially when its hot outside.
5 degrees C or F? Also, where did you read the motor temp tolerances?

Do the foward or aft motors run hotter, whats an ok temp range?
I have been wondering the same thing. I believe my fore motors are hotter than the aft after a long flight. I was wondering if that's normal.

Good quality hobby grade brushless motors like the ones on drones and RC cars can handle very high temperatures. Around 170F / 76C is where you should be concerned, maybe a bit less to be extra safe, and some heavier duty motors are designed to handle up to 200F (I would not test that). Neodymium magnets begin to lose strength at 176F or 80C. When they cool, they regain their strength, but prolonged abuse weakens them over time. You're far more likely to burn yourself than damage the drone and if I am not mistaken DJI warns of this specifically in the manual.

Prolonged exposure to extremely high heat causes the magnets in the motors to lose their strength over time, so quality brushless motors are usually designed to handle more heat for longevity.

Unless your drone has a problem, or you are flying around for extended periods of time in sport mode in hot weather, I wouldn't worry about it. It's not a bad idea to throw an infra red temperature gun in your bag, especially if you are concerned.

As for uneven heat, that is also normal. During forward flight, the rear motors need to work harder and vise versa. When yawing, only some of the motors change speed. Also DJI's drones do not have perfect weight distribution, so that is another reason you shouldn't expect all motors to be the same temperature. It also matters how you're flying it, what direction you're flying it in, and what direction it might be fighting wind from. The vast majority of the time it's nothing to worry about. If all you did was hover with zero wind and the drone had perfect weight distribution, then I would expect the motors to be the same temperature but that is not a realistic scenario. Long story short, the motors run at different speeds based on the direction of flight, weight distribution, and the external forces (like wind) that are present. The idea that all motors should be within 5 degrees of each other makes no sense as there are way too many variables.

Last edited:
5 degrees C or F? Also, where did you read the motor temp tolerances?
Sorry: don.t understand your question. Canada drone has some suggestions as well. I check my motors before and after each flight, especially in extremely hot weather. Each to his own, saved his explanation and put it in my file under motors for further study. Always learning here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zumbidousa