DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

motor wobble normal?

dukegledhill

Reactions
This is a close up video from my phone of the rear left motor on a DJI mavic Pro, showing the little "wobbles" that it does. None of the other 3 do this. Is it "normal" , i.e. tolerable, or is it a problem. I don't know if this is the cause or coincidence, but my drone slowly rotates to the right while hovering. I would welcome your thoughts. Thank you.

PS I've changed the blades, made no difference, suggesting something further inside the motor mechanicals?

I would re-calibrate the ISU and compass to see if that helps with the rotation issue

Also try the RC control stick calibration

How many flights? Could be a bad bearing and or your shaft has worn enough to fit loosely around the bearings. Might be time to replace that motor if you can find rebuild kit

Thanks all. I'll try the calibration ideas first and hope for an easy fix.

No strikes, or at least none before it started doing this, one and only happened recently and was a different arm. I did get some grass wrapped in it once, ages ago... didn't notice at the time but it seems like a possible cause.

Fingers crossed the calibration, if it flies straight i don't mind the wobble :)

thanks again
Duke

Could be just an imbalanced prop. Try swapping blades and see if that makes a difference.

Can't see the 'wobble' but regarding the slow drift, have you tried calibrating the sticks? I found that my MP would more easily (quickly) move right than left, when calibrating the sticks there was a output (6, I think) when the sticks were supposedly central. Stick calibration worked and not had the problem since.

Hi... My Mavic Air also has the same left rear motor wobble.

I spoke to DJI about possible loose motor screws and all they would tell me is to send it in for repair. I found the Drone Geeks tear down pictures and pulled off the landing gear. All three screws that mount the motor are TIGHT as compared to the right rear motor mounting screws.

Some of the suggestions listed here are fine but this issue isn't a motor issue but rather a mounting issue.

I feel the wobble is normal as I have spoken to a half dozen other Mavic Air owners and their LEFT REAR motors also wobble. If they all wobble it means possibly to cut down on vibration for a more stable video. Dunno.

Hope this help put your mind as ease. There's gotta be a reason for the wobble but DJI aint tellin'!

Regards from Idaho Love my Mavic Air

This is a close up video from my phone of the rear left motor on a DJI mavic Pro, showing the little "wobbles" that it does. None of the other 3 do this. Is it "normal" , i.e. tolerable, or is it a problem. I don't know if this is the cause or coincidence, but my drone slowly rotates to the right while hovering. I would welcome your thoughts. Thank you.

PS I've changed the blades, made no difference, suggesting something further inside the motor mechanicals?

Can’t be reassuring. This looks like a bearing failure. If so, it could result in a nasty accident or, just as likely a lost drone. The arms are cheep.

Here is a question for Duke...

Since the video only shows the wobble of the propeller shaft... can you tell us if the "whole motor" seems loose on the arm?

My Mavic Air and those I fly with that own Mavic Airs show the motor loose on the left rear arm. If the motor wobbles we are all under the impression this is intentional to reduce possible jittery videos allowing vibration absorption. Sure it sounds a bit of a strange idea but I personally wouldn't challenge the engineering of DJI. Their drones are simply a product of well thought out design.

Mine and my friends Mavic Airs fly just fine. As I mentioned in my previous post, the mounting screws to the wobbly motor are secure and tight. I bet Duke has same wobbly motor as we do. Let us know Duke

I once had a slightly noisy motor on my P3 with some play felt when rocking it. Otherwise it flew OK.
I replaced the motor but for the fun of it, also replaced the bearings on the suspect motor. I later realized what probably really happened was that the bell pulled a bit off the shaft thus causing play up and down. When I pushed it back in place, the play was gone. Never used the motor so I don't know if it's better or if I caused other issues trying to get the motor apart and the bearings out.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet