DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mount Charleston (Las Vegas)

PackManDan

Reactions
I did a hike up in Mt. Charleston in the Las Vegas area two days ago early in the morning and took the drone up. Time of the flight was about 7:05 AM and the sun was very bright and rising. The drone was more or less looking into the sun, but as you can see from the video even when I turn the drone away from the sun the video is still very washed out from the sunlight. I believe my settings were +1 0 0 but I'm not positive. Are there any settings I could have changed to limit the washed out look?

Also I took some still images from my video and as you can see they look relatively clear but if you try to zoom into them even a bit they aren't very clear. How can I make my images more clear? Do you get clearer images from taking an actual photo with the drone instead of just capturing still images from a video?

** I tried uploading a video but it keeps saying the file is too large. How is everyone uploading their videos?? **

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 48
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 44
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 43
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 45
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 41
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 43
Here is the link. You can see the video is washed out. I know shooting into the sun isn't ideal but if you have to do it and you don't have a filter...what are the best settings to tone down the glare? Also, do you get clearer images by taking screen captures of the video or taking actual photos with the drone? My only issue is if you take a photo with the drone doesn't that cut the video off and start it again after the picture is taken? I don't want a bunch of mini videos to edit together.

My only issue is if you take a photo with the drone doesn't that cut the video off and start it again after the picture is taken? I don't want a bunch of mini videos to edit together.

From what I’ve seen, getting a one shot (decent) video is not only super hard to do, but all good entertaining vids are almost always a combination of short 5 - 10 second clips.

Editing is some learning curve, but it seems essential to get some good things happening.

Just checked out your vid.
Did you have the gimbal cover on ?
It just looked like it a couple if times with glare, that could cause some washout.
You were just overexposed I think, do you have exposure set to auto ?
Some filters might be good for the kit mid to long term, once you master the photo and video settings, flying etc.
keep things smooth, try tripod and use minor yaw / gimbal movement, you can tone down sensitivity in settings for man if these too.

Nope, the cover was removed before flight. Not sure if it was the fact I was flying it at around 9,000 feet elevation and the sun was just coming up or if my settings were messed up. As for the movements, yes, I definitely need to smooth those out.

Is there any free video/photo editing software I can use? I saw Lightworks mentioned - and though it is free, I can't seem to really do anything on it. When I upload the video to that software it becomes really jerky and keeps cutting out every few seconds and then I can't seem to export it anywhere.

There is an editing part of the go4 DJI app, basic but a few people use that.
I have iPad and movie maker is ok, have downloaded Davinci Resolve 14 free version to try, haven’t had a chance yet.
I think that may be available for Android too.
What phone are you running apple or android ?
What resolution are you shooting video in ?

Have you accidentally turned the exposure compensation dial to EV +3.0? Looks like a trivial overexposure.

By the way, there's a great tool to check the boundaries of Wilderness and other natural areas where flying drones is prohibited (unless you takeoff and land outside).

Wilderness.net - U.S. National Wilderness Preservation System Map

I use this and UAV Forecast for every new location.

BLM and NF = good to fly
NPS, wilderness and wildlife refugees = no fly

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WinstonH