DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mountain biking and active track function

00Nic

Reactions
Hi all.
Yesterday I tried my MP with active-track during a mountain biking session.
The idea was to try first the wifi connection to let me control the drone by my smartphone (iPhone 6s). This way I thought it was much easier to carry with me only the mobile but eventually it failed.
I lost connection 3 times in 5 minute though the drone was really near to me.

So, I tried to use the remote controller but it was very unhandy to keep it with me without moving the sticks or pressing any button. I tried to cling it on my backpack side but it was really unsafe.
Anyone experienced this before? How did you manage this issue?

I think the solution I will try next will be to fasten the remote to the chest with a belt that let me intervene rapidly on the remote commands if it is necessary.

Have a second person with you to control the Mavic

You can do that alone (without the RC) with Autopilot AirSpace function.
Please note that only the Autopilot uses the function with the barometer. Which means, if you climb, the drone climbs too. But you need a minimum of to iOS devices. One that stays with the remote (e.g. iPad) and one that is with the subject (your iPhone). Now your drone can focus on the position of the subject (your iPhone) while your remote stays in the car. This requires a mobile network and GPS reception. And this feature works very fine

Last edited:
Reactions: gumaco and 00Nic
You can do that alone (without the RC) with Autopilot AirSpace function.
Please note that only the Autopilot uses the function with the barometer. Which means, if you climb, the drone climbs to.
But you need a minimum of to iOS devices. One that stays with the remote (e.g. iPad) and one that is with the subject (your iPhone). Now your drone can focus on the position of the subject (your iPhone) while your remote stays in the car. This requires a mobile network and GPS reception. And this feature works very fine

Really interesting solution but a bit complicated. In my country it is not allowed to use autopilot functions without continuous monitoring of the drone and possibility to stop it when necessary. Automatic-fly mode is allowed but autonomous-fly mode is not.

I got you. But even with your iPhone, you still would be able to "control" the drone. And if you choose your subject "behind" the drone, you will have the drone in line of sight (vlos). You are legal again

Reactions: 00Nic
"Try using a GoPro mount. You can use the handle bar mount and then use a sticky GoPro adapter on the back of the controller to attach to the handle bar mount. You can also do the same sticky GoPro adapter along with the chesty mount."

As discussed here:
Mountain biking and active track function

I looked at the mount and adapters at Best Buy and was close to purchasing but figured I'd only use it a couple of times and then the novelty of tracking my ride would wear off.

I got you. But even with your iPhone, you still would be able to "control" the drone. And if you choose your subject "behind" the drone, you will have the drone in line of sight (vlos). You are legal again

I think your solution is really intresting. You made me discover a new feature that I did not know existed. Shame for the mobile data network issue. I'll give it a try.

"Try using a GoPro mount.

Great idea! Thank you.

Yesterday I worked on a similar solution and I think it could be useful to other purposes too.
Below I post some images for whom is interested.
I used the Dji case (the one they sell you with the fly more combo pack) and I detached the belt and the clasps as I showed in the picture.
This way I used it to create a chest strap support for the remote controller.
With the plastic clasps it is really easy and fast to attach and detach the controller. I know, this is not a really stable solution but it is free of charge if you already have this pack.
I will give it a try asap.

Attachments

• howto.jpg
    howto.jpg
    706.3 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: Juordan
$9 on Amazon for this iPhone mount.
Universal Bike Phone Mount holder for Motorcycle Bike Handlebars iPhone 7 Plus 6 | eBay

If you do it correctly, the controller does not budge -- very solid set-up. This lets you use Follow Me instead of Active Track.
bike.jpg

To make it even simpler, you detach your phone and put it in a small backpack. Mavic flies perfect with only the RC

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky