DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Move Aircraft or Calibrate Compass during flight

ftmonjardim

Reactions
Hi,
I bought a mavic few days ago and i'm facing some issues regarding to compass.

I was using ASUS ZENFONE 3(now ipad mini) and during flight I was receiving compass error messages, like Move Aircraft or Calibrate Compass.

Every time before take off, I check the compass status to see if both of them are green and no compass calibration is required, but still message during flight.

When in flight, I'm checking the sensor state in DJI go and the Compass 1 and Compass 2 are green(excelent), sometimes the compass 2 changes to Yellow (good condition), but when I receive the compass error the compass status on sensor state page changes to "Move away from Interference or recalibrate the compass".

I had all this flights in airdata.com and no warning was verified on the notification page regarding to compass, and I had the message in green NO ISSUES were found.

But today, I was flying again and during the landing (RTH landing for test) I had again the compass message error and I had a notification warning in airdata.com (Warning:In Flight,workingcompassencountersdata exception,please switch to atti mode if craft behave).
The mavic was exactly over me that time and it was changing to AutoLanding Mode.
Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones (that's the airdata flight log)

20374690_1482362951786633_5799670744420661593_n.jpg

20375672_1482362958453299_1078442906091575957_n.jpg

The question is;
Is there any hardware problem with my mavic? I'm scary about a fly away, because I can't move to atti mode like I do in my phantom 3 in emergency situation.

I can calibrate the compass normally, the KP Index was 2 and I can't notice any abnormally regarding to the flight of the mavic itself.
My mavic is updated and radio as well.

Hope you guys can understand my doubt, I'm not a native english speaker.
thanks a lot.

The first batch manufactured until around October 2016 or so had a very bad cable layout EMC wise. The spinning motors would influence the compass on these early models.
It can be fixed by twisting the wires leading to the motors.
Please check the manufacturing date of your bird.

The first batch manufactured until around October 2016 or so had a very bad cable layout EMC wise. The spinning motors would influence the compass on these early models.
It can be fixed by twisting the wires leading to the motors.
Please check the manufacturing date of your bird.

I received this message only one time when I was using the ZENFONE 3, with ipad I had no message like that so far.
20375709_1481441601878768_2436808655373885763_n.jpg

I have had a few mid-flight compass errors. Only once where it caused the Mavic to fly somewhat uncontrollably. That time it was moving around a bit erratically on its own but luckily it was shortly after takeoff, I was able to visually bring it back down fighting the automated movement with the controller. Other times it showed the error but after stopping and hovering, there was no erratic movement, the error went away and I continued flying. I would be sure to calibrate the compass very well. Do it in an open field, turn on airplane mode for devices and slowly, carefully calibrate. Remember compasses work on magnetic fields, so flying by large metal objects or possibly even EMF can disrupt a magnetic field. Same as spinning a compass needle with a magnet, there are things out there which can interfere with your Mavic's compass.

Upload the KML file to google earth. And look around for large antenna array. Or AM radio tower. It's a long shot. But sounds like something is messing with the compass while in the air.

Hello!

Sorry for the long post... :-(

I´m having the same problem. "Move aircraft or calibrate compass" while pairing in the air (doesn´t matter the altitude, since 30m to 120m). Any movement I make with the drone and the message disappears, coming back sometimes when I stop it in the air again, even at heights like 100 meters. In the RC appears "MAG INTERF / CHECK APP"

I did not notice any abnormal behavior, no instability or incorrect orientation of the "arrow" on the map of the DJI GO4, which indicates the direction of the aircraft, in none of the flights until today (about 15 flights). Only the message appears and it scares me.

This happens in almost every flights, I´m afraid of a fly away or lose control.

The GPS flight mode remains active, I have not noticed any transition to ATTI so far, even when the problem occurs and is in RTH mode starting the landing. He makes the landing correctly, using the precision landing, and lands facing exactly to the same side from which he took off, and exactly on the "carpet" used for takeoff (rubber).

I bought my Mavic early this month (August 2017), and I have been calibrated the compass with success in ground, at least 5m away from any metalic objetcs, and nothing was reported with "Move aircraft or calibrate compass" during the take off.

I´m seriously afraid of a bad responde from aircraft in the air because of this message.

I´m using Galaxy S7 Edge, DJI go 4 and firmware .1000. This message "Move aircraft or calibrate compass" occurs since I have the aircraft, doesn´t matter the firmware version.

On several occasions, I tried to recalibrate the compass with the DJI procedure "dancing" as the manual explains. Most often accused of error and asked to "cancel" or "retry". But on these occasions I was less than 6 meters from a handrail, a car, or a still wall, which contains a lot of iron, as well as electric wires.

Last weekend I was able to calibrate on a grass field, at least 5 meters away from any kind of metal. The closest metal was the wedding ring I used on my finger, but it did not leave my finger and I carried out the calibration with the other hand, with both arms stretched sideways to distance as far as possible the wedding ring from the aircraft. Besides that factor, there was a truck next to me, however about 8 meters away.

I have anxiety issues, I bought Mavic to be a hobby, and I need to sort it out. I did not get help in forums here in Brazil, nor in Whatsapp groups related to this aircraft, and here we do not have DJI support to send the aircraft for checking.

What would you recommend to help me? Restore factory settings via DJI Assistant? Change the phone I use? From what I've seen, just recalibrating the compass is not helping.

I also did not find the option to calibrate the compass in the DJI assistant, as I have already seen online reports from users who had this guidance coming from DJI support.

Is it perhaps the case of demagnetizing the compass with these accessories that sell "Cfixer"? Could not this damage the device?

Anyway ... I'm very upset about the situation, and afraid to lose the device.

I have not yet analyzed the flight records, but I must do this soon.

I thank you all heartily for your help, and excuse me for weak English.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan