DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MP ignores RTH height

Golfnut

Reactions
I rarely use the RTH but recently I tested it and found that although the RTH height is set to 30m, the quad climbs to well above that before it initiates its RTH sequence. I have stopped the climb on more than one occasion so I'm not sure how high it would actually go. As a side note, the same thing happens on tap fly even though I select a point below the horizon. Last tap fly I tried the quad was up almost 400' by the time I realized what was happening.

Does the same thing happen after disabling obstacle avoidance? If not, the issue could be the sun shining into the front sensors.

Reactions: CivamRop
Glad you read my thread msinger. My real issue started because the MP would not go faster then 8-10mph with obstacle avoidance enabled. Without it normal speeds were possible. DJI wants me to recalibrate sensors which I can only get to calibrate to 85% and it hangs. I can't try a different computer as I'm traveling and don't have access till I get home. Are you suggesting that inaccurate RTH height can be attributed to front sensor issues? If so, it all makes sense and perhaps a recalibration will solve the problem. I have had no issues with manual flight other than the speed mentioned above.

Are you suggesting that inaccurate RTH height can be attributed to front sensor issues?
When the front sensors detect an obstacle during RTH, the Mavic will keep climbing until it thinks it has ascended over the obstacle. Since the sun continues to shine into the sensors, the Mavic continues to ascend (often beyond the set RTH altitude). Recalibrating the sensors likely won't help resolve this issue.

Thank you. Quite possible. I will do more testing to confirm whether or not that is the cause. Same issue with tap fly I assume??

Turned off OA, set RTH height to 30m. It climbed to 137' and returned home. Set RTH to 20m. MP climbed to 210' and returned home. It is returning home perfectly but seems to have a mind of its own when determining what height to achieve before it does its thing. Another thing I have noticed is that when RTH is pressed, it starts to climb, stops, moves toward home for 3-4 seconds, stops, climbs again and repeats this process several times until it gets to the correct GPS coordinates and initiates landing.

Reactions: Healeyho
Be sure you turned off BOTH features. The normal OA should be off, and the RTH OA must be off. Everytime you turn OA back on, RTH OA will also turn back on automatically. You have to go back into Advanced settings and turn RTH OA back off again.

Reactions: Bijengum
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom